Muscular Pain after playing Side Snare for too Long

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey all.

I found a few similar topics, but nothing exactly like this. Just wanted to see what you all had to say.

I recently started playing with two snare drums, and I'll play my side snare sometimes for an entire section, using it for the backbeat, so my body is turned to the left for the length of a verse or every chorus or whatever it may be.

Anyway, the day after I practice or play like this, the muscles in the chest area and the corresponding muscles in my back are in so much pain, I can hardly move.

My chiropractor just suggested I stretch at the waist a lot before playing, and then after the fact, stretch my waist to the right, just to balance out the growth and movement of those muscles.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced something similar or has heard any other tips or tricks to combat this pain, prior to or, after playing.

Thanks!

I saw a physiotherapist at the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine about a similar problem. He recommended regular pre and post-performance/practice stretches (check out their factsheet "Don't Cramp your Style" for some exercises).

He also recommended yoga which had helped me a lot - not just with drumming. Something which the doctor and my yoga teacher pointed out is that the reason I was getting a lot of neck and shoulder pain was that I was not allowing my back to do the supporting work it is supposed to do. This was owing to lack of exercise as well as a prolonged sedentary posture. Back bends etc in yoga can sort that out if done correctly and regularly.

If properly warmed up I should think you should be able to twist any way you like quite comfortably - as long as there's no tension in your grip/the throne and stands are set at a comfortable height/whatever.

AFAIK, it's normal to feel a bit of pain after giving muscles that have not really been used a bit of a workout. The more you do that work out, the less pain there should be afterwards.

Maybe adapting your posture, or the way you set the 2nd snare up might help.

I'm sure your chiropractor has more good input. (Warming up/stretching is definitely a good idea.)

Patrice

Move the snare to a position next to your first mounted Tom instead of next to your HiHats, that way there is no turn or twist involved.

Back