Reggae and Jazz Drumming

I would argue that this exactly what we are all talking about regardless of the genre of music. I would consider "sticking combinations or passages around the kit" are in fact "chops" and I would consider them every bit as important to jazz and reggae as I would any other style. It's all in the pursuit of developing vocabulary on the kit. I think vocabulary and chops as the one and the same.

I'm still baffled by this semantic argument.

I would disagree and say you can play passages around the kit all day that dont require "chops"

my 9 year old students play passages around the kit in every lesson....I wouldnt say they have "chops"

but Larry there is nothing wrong with working on certain sticking combinations or passages around the kit to the point where muscle memory kicks in so that you can use it at will whenever the moment inspires you

isnt that what practice is all about ?

for me its all about filling up that imaginary "bag o' tricks" next to you so you can reach in at any point during a performance and pull out something nice and appropriate for the situation without even having to think about it ....

something well worked out so you are not just throwing your arms out there hoping it works

I have found that guys who work that way seem to repeat themselves on a regular basis and dont even know it

When I wrote that I was aware of what you pointed out. Yes what you said is totally true. At the time of execution, hopefully there is a sense of newness and not regurgitation, that's what I am trying to say.
I don't feel I have specific fills, chops or things like that per se. I do have a trademark beat though. (that I only use when it's appropriate) I do rely on past sucesses with approaches though...for instance when a lead player takes a turn for a breakdown, naturally I would tend to follow them...that's a bad example, but it illustrates the point.
OK when a lead player starts their lead, a lot of times I will come down, just like I would for a vocal, and I will build my intensity based on their intensity. (SOP, really) So I do re-use approaches for sure, but not ultra specific fills. Even though I practice Bonham triplets so when there is a place where they are called for, I can do them. (Am I talking out both sides of my mouth?) But it's not a planned thing. I guess I do re-use language... press rolls, double stroke rolls....But I can tell when a guy just throws in fills because he can play them, not because they soothe the song. That's my gripe. Chops for chops sake.

When I wrote that I was aware of what you pointed out. Yes what you said is totally true. At the time of execution, hopefully there is a sense of newness and not regurgitation, that's what I am trying to say.
I don't feel I have specific fills, chops or things like that per se. I do have a trademark beat though. (that I only use when it's appropriate) I do rely on past sucesses with approaches though...for instance when a lead player takes a turn for a breakdown, naturally I would tend to follow them...that's a bad example, but it illustrates the point.
OK when a lead player starts their lead, a lot of times I will come down, just like I would for a vocal, and I will build my intensity based on their intensity. (SOP, really) So I do re-use approaches for sure, but not ultra specific fills. Even though I practice Bonham triplets so when there is a place where they are called for, I can do them. (Am I talking out both sides of my mouth?) But it's not a planned thing. I guess I do re-use language... press rolls, double stroke rolls....But I can tell when a guy just throws in fills because he can play them, not because they soothe the song. That's my gripe. Chops for chops sake.

agreed Larry

although there are certain situations where I enjoy it .....Mars Volta, East of the Wall, Dilliger Escape Plan, Meshuggah...etc etc

but in settings where its inappropriate its nothing but irritating

for example....Im not the religious type...but I love gospel music....and there are drummers in some circles of that genre who over play to the hilt ......amazing chops.....but just out of context sometimes

Back