Shot down by Mapex :(

Not in a million years! :)

If Mapex see's this thread.....you bet your bottom, they'll make you one.

If it's one thing I know.....it's NO company wants a public thread about how they won't help a customer who has spent thousands of dollars on their gear.
If they won't make one for you....then they won't make one for any other customer.

Let the majority of Mapex buyers know that if they spend money with that company, you may NOT be able to get the add on drums you want.

And that is FACT.....by your experience.

Get this thread to them....and, you'll get your drum.

D

If Mapex see's this thread.....you bet your bottom, they'll make you one.

If it's one thing I know.....it's NO company wants a public thread about how they won't help a customer who has spent thousands of dollars on their gear.
If they won't make one for you....then they won't make one for any other customer.

Let the majority of Mapex buyers know that if they spend money with that company, you may NOT be able to get the add on drums you want.

And that is FACT.....by your experience.

Get this thread to them....and, you'll get your drum.

D
Hey buddy. Thanks for the reply. It just kind of boggled my mind that they wouldn't do something like a little 8 inch drum, after what I have done on my part. It is too bad that companies get too big, and start to forget who put them there. I will say it again, "without us, they don't exist". I love their product, and have pretty much proven that in every way I know how. All I want is the odd hug back every now and then. :) They have the wood, the mould, the paint, the guy that has painted a thousand other ones. Just put it all together and ship it off, so I can tell everyone on Drummerworld, how Mapex came through for me. Seems really simple.

I call it you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. It has worked for thousands of years.
Here is my scratching.

- My own website that I pay for, and run showing off mostly their product www.sticks4drums.com
- Talking about and showing Mapex product on this and other sites
- Doing youtube videos showing off my Monster kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHHfV-7hHs
- Putting together 4, and designing a custom graphic 5th Saturn kit, and ordering another Mapex kit that should be here in the spring.
- Recording an original CD soon, 6 songs down, 5 to go, on my Arctic Monster.

16 Piece Saturn in Arctic White
1210.jpg

9 Piece Limited Edition Birch/Walnut Saturn in Sienna Fade Fingered Burl.
IMG_3255.jpg

6 Piece Limited Edition Birch/Walnut Saturn in Yellow Ocher Sparkle Burst(One day a 7 piece hopefully)
IMG_3309.jpg

4 Piece Limited Edition Saturn in Arctic White, Sticks signature series, club kit.
IMG_2888.jpg

Mapex Phosphor Bronze Black Panther snares
1194.jpg

A nice dry, spot for all of them to hang out.
IMG_3187.jpg

I also have a Black Panther Blaster snare, Falcon pedals, 4 stock Saturn snares, and many Mapex hats, stands, and stools.

I think my nails are getting worn down! :)

Last edited:
I think your post is true, but generally this is kind of a delicate subject I think.
Companies will certainly not start to let people blackmail them in order to
get what they want and not getting bad publicity! :)

It's not about Black mail. It's about a company making a drum someone is going to pay for.
That's their job.

i understand that it was a limited edition kit but, the fact that a customer that has spent thousands on their product (not to mention the press the guys gives em"), and won't get this drum to him.....is absurd.

I've worked retail drums for over 19 years and in all that time....I've never heard of this.

Sure, special order drums can be a pain in the ass.....but, so can threads telling people about your experience with that company.

D

Honestly, this felt like a slap in the face, and I wanted to share it with my electronic family. Some people are always trashing me on here for being an over the top Fanboy. Well I just want to keep it real!

All I want is the odd hug back every now and then. :)

Aussies aren't known for their hugs...but here it goes...ahhh. Can ya feel the love!!

Oh, BTW, you aint a Fanboy!!!

It's not about Black mail. It's about a company making a drum someone is going to pay for.
That's their job.

i understand that it was a limited edition kit but, the fact that a customer that has spent thousands on their product (not to mention the press the guys gives em"), and won't get this drum to him.....is absurd.

I've worked retail drums for over 19 years and in all that time....I've never heard of this.

Sure, special order drums can be a pain in the ass.....but, so can threads telling people about your experience with that company.

D

Derek,I didn't realize you spent that much time in retail.I whole heartedly agree,that while custom orders are logisticly difficult,are the industry standard,and not the exception.

I'm sure you have seen hundreds of custom drums ordered over the years.I think especially in Sticks case,such brand loyalty should be rewarded,even at profit loss for Mapex.I think they should just give him the drum,as a gesture of good will.

The positive vibe generated by such an action,,would sell a lot more drums,than even the best salesman.Cheers

Steve B

Hey Sticks, glad you shared this. Although Mapex is an excellent drum company, I always assumed custom orders usually only happen for endorsers. Interesting to hear stories of custom orders...

I can see whey you're disappointed and I'm sure they appreciate your business. The only suggestion I can think of, is to wait until NAMM is well over (drum companies are INSANE this time of year), and maybe try contacting them through a different avenue.

I've never had to custom order anything from a drum company so I don't know how common it is. But I have to say I think I would side with Mapex in this case. If the 8x8 is something they rarely make why do you think they would make it for you? Sure you have spent a lot of money on Mapex products, but so have most of us, I'm sure nearly everyone on here has a couple thousand dollars worth of gear when they add it up. You have to look at it from their perspective, it is probably not profitable enough to produce this drum for you, regardless of how much you have spent on their company. I would also assume that although you are upset you will continue to play and purchase Mapex products? I would suggest possibly buying a more common size like an 8x10 and taking it to a local drum maker and having him cut it down for you. I hate to sound like I am having no sympathy for you, because I understand about being upset. I lost a screw that holds in the beater to my Yamaha kick pedal, it was a weird size, and they had terrible customer service. I eventually had to order this stupid screw for like $8, I would have expected them to just send me a replacement screw after having spent $400 on their pedal.

The guy who did the new logo and the drums is currently detained in a mental institution under heavy sedation.... or at least he should be! Like Kettles says, I'm sure if you could get in touch with the right guy something could be done. The only non standard process would be the shell finish, I'm sure all the other components would be available to them, even the shells.

That's a lot of powdercoating. Not to further derail your thread, but have they announced a price increase to cover all that extra powdercoating and finish work? Doesn't make sense for them to just throw it in for free...

Topic: That sucks man and I feel for you. I kinda see it from both angles. That yeah, if they did it for you everyone would want it. Then again, I'm sure they have a blank shell that size just gathering dust, so what's it going to hurt.

Sucks to hear this. And I still think Mapex makes a great product. But I have to add that this was one of the points being made back in one of the many "why DW is or isn't worth it" threads. I'm going to make some crazy requests from time to time and I want the answer to be f--king yes. I'm willing to pay to get that, and its exactly what I get from the Oxnard crew: "Well, we've never done anything like this before so, yeah, we're super excited about it."

Truth is, there are a many companies that treat people this way. I asked for some custom stuff from Sabian once and they were totally cool with it. It was a 5 minute phone conversation and a two week turn-around for cymbals from a retired line. Even Fibes, back when they were around, stepped up to the plate for some custom pieces that I'll probably never part with just because its so damned cool that they did that for me - some regular ole dude who asked. Not to mention that several "custom shops" declined.

In your case, the request really isn't crazy. In fact, its almost common place. So, that tells me that Mapex really isn't organized around the idea of customer service, which is very disappointing to learn. I hope they find their way around to reconsidering. You more than deserve it for being such a loyal customer, IMO.

I have brought this thread to Mapex's attention. We'll see if it achieves anything.

Back