Stewart Copeland on "Storage Wars"

fixxxer

For those of you who have not seen the show "Storage Wars" on A&E, it's a reality show featuring folks at storage facility auctions buying the contents inside storage units that have been abandoned.
On last night's episode one of the buyers, Barry Weiss, bought a unit with a set of Ludwigs and several snares. Not knowing the value of the set, he takes it to an "expert" to have it appraised. His "expert" was friend, Stewart Copeland! My jaw dropped!
Copeland sets it up and plays it, quickly buys a turkish cymbal off of it for $40.00 and estimates the kit's value at around $1500.00. Being the savvy business guy that Weiss is, he has Copeland sign all of the drums and expects to get about triple that amount now!
Great episode! Did anyone else see it?

Last edited:
I love that show but missed that one. Weiss is slick. He keeps a lot of the stuff he has appraised that is rare. He also drives some very nice custom cars. Always thinking he has them signed. Brilliant. He can now say they were played by Copeland

He can now say they were played by Copeland

And played on TV... So, I'm not a collector of anything, but with all these shows like this, Pawn Stars, etc. do the objects being on a TV in this manner raise their value? I'd imagine huh? Nice scam :)

Not a huge fan of that show, but I've been known to sucked into it late at night.

I'll keep an eye out for that episode. They re-run them a lot, so it's bound to come up again.

Its not what you say...its what you can prove.Autographs can and are faked all the time,so unless he's sells those drums with a DVD of Copeland signing them,there is no provenance to establish that thay are genuine.

Steve B

Only good reason to watch Storage Wars is Brandi. Dave is portrayed as a crouch and is currently in a contract dispute with the show over money. Wiess is great Would love to know what they get paid and how many auctions they lose to Joe Blow before they get enough for a show.

I agree, Brandi is hot! :) My son was telling me that he read somewhere that Weiss has a net worth of about 7 million. He got his start selling produce.
Would be nice to know what he gets for those drums!

I agree, Brandi is hot! :) My son was telling me that he read somewhere that Weiss has a net worth of about 7 million. He got his start selling produce.
Would be nice to know what he gets for those drums!
Barry is the man

he is definitely the reason I tune in some times

I love Storage Wars. My favorite kinds of shows are restoration shows and antiques. I watch Storage Wars while I wait for new episodes of American Restoration. Copland just come across as such a nice guy, and a fellow trad-grip player too. I love the child-like enthusiasm he shows when Barry sells him that cymbal. What was it anyway? I thought I saw a Zildjian logo on it...

The new episode is up on A&E's website:

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/video

Episode is very fittingly titles "Don't stand so close to me".

I think I saw a Zildjian logo on it as well. Not sure of the exact type but Copeland mentioned that it was a "missing piece" to a set that he has. He stole it for $40.00 bucks but more than made up for it with his signatures!

I missed it and I was watching Storage Wars last night. I bet it's "on demand" on cable. I've got to see that. Thanks for the tip!

From watching the show it is clear Stewart hasn't had to pay for his gear in a very long time; His appraisal of a used $500 Ludwig Accent kit at $1500 pretty much proves that. Unless he was just trying to make Barry happy for having spent WAY too much for it.

Cool! I caught it "on demand". Yeah, I thought those looked like Accents and the cymbal looked like a low-end Zildjian. The metal snare looked like a no-brand Chinese McDrum.

Stewart said they were a "professional set". I guess, technically, if the previous owner got paid for playing them.....

I love the show. Barry has to be independently wealthy considering the cars he drives and the amount of money he wastes on junk. BTW, that Shipping Wars show that debuted last night looks interesting too.

There was a couple of extra snare drums they didn't show,and a wmp floor tom that looked old,could have been a sling or an mij sling/copy,you think they would have appraised/identified those.

I rather play with Brandi's set than the set that Stewart signed....lol.. I would say she paid more for them than Barry did for his too...lol

you guys know that Storage Wars is a set-up right? It's reenactments of some of their best finds. They'd have to shoot for years for somebody to hit some of the scores that they "happen to find" on every episode.

Agreed though, Brandi is indeed hot.

Cool! I caught it "on demand". Yeah, I thought those looked like Accents and the cymbal looked like a low-end Zildjian. The metal snare looked like a no-brand Chinese McDrum.

Stewart said they were a "professional set". I guess, technically, if the previous owner got paid for playing them.....

Just caught this episode online. Was wondering the same thing, Stewart doesn't seem to know his gear at all. Those were definitely Ludwig Accents, worth about $500 tops (if even that). And the "Turkish" cymbal had an inked-on (not sure of the proper terminology here) Zildjian logo, and to my knowledge NONE of the cymbals Zildjian made in Turkey had an inked-on logo. Plus, to me it sounded like a low-end ZBT or something along those lines.

Also, since Stewart's only been known to play Tamas, his signature on a Ludwig kit shouldn't triple the value. At least not to a serious collector. Not to mention I would have had him sign the insides of the shells, so as to not mess up the appearance. My guess is since he paid $1500 for the locker, he'll either lose money on it or just break even.

I watched it. I was entertained.

But yeah, Steward was way off. He is a great drummer, but how would he know about the value of drums when he gets all his drum for free?

And I agree, the Zildjian cymbal appeared (and sounded) to be lower end.

Back