Professional practicers

Zero Mercury Drummer

This might be more of a general music topic, but what is up with musicians that have no interest in playing in front of people, or getting their music heard?
To me, rehearsal is something you do to prepare for a live show. Most musicians I know just want to create music in their home studio, or rehearse endlessly for years. And it seems the less they play out, the more critical they are of "popular" bands.
I understand that playing out is a lot of work, and has an inherent risk. There is also nothing wrong with having fun at home, but i am continually striving to get my music on as many eardrums as possible.
Just like a writer with no audience is just writing a diary, a musician with no audience is just a practicer. Not trying to put anybody down, but interested in hearing thoughts on this.

Well, used to be that studio/session drummers could make for a good paying career. Does anyone know if Hal Blaine ever performed live often at any point after becoming a studio guy? I'm happy practicing and jamming, whatever. It's just a hobby for me. Good topic though.

I can understand this. People have a need to be good at something.
Playing music is good for the soul. That's enough for some folks. If I never gigged again.....OMG what a scary thought...I'd still practice.

I suppose it's similar to choosing Pearl over DW, or Longboard vs Shortboard. Even Decaf over Caffiene (Strictly caffiene here!). How about guitar over piano...? All a personal choice, which is what makes this forum the best.

I know musicians that grab their guitars after a long day at the office. I know pianists that find a calm on the keyboard. Personally (key word), if I wasn't going to play for our large church's rock/christian band - I would be just peachy keen drumming for therapy. Much cheaper than a shrink. Though with the gear I buy, the price is getting close. At a minimum, I would at least Youtube it to give me a challenge and motivation beyond the studio...

Good post topic you have here... :)

maybe they have very high standards and simply don't want to play anything unless its perfect

i don't see playing out as risky though? if anything its easier than playing on records because you can razzle dazzle people with cool stick tricks

btw anne frank didn't have an audience but she ended up being pretty popular

maybe they have very high standards and simply don't want to play anything unless its perfect

i don't see playing out as risky though? if anything its easier than playing on records because you can razzle dazzle people with cool stick tricks

Interesting you should mention that. The "perfection" syndrome can really get you. Most people I know are working on "albums" or "projects" that drag on for five years until they peter out.
We are facing this in my band right now. We can keep re-recording and mixing tracks until they are absolutely perfect- problem is, the months turn into years with no release. I have laid down many drum tracks, but eventually it always turns to "let's do it again" or "scrap it and start from scratch because we can do it better now," or the songs get stale.I hate laying down drum tracks and then waiting for a year and half to hear the final product, if ever.

And just wanted to mention that Anne Frank's book actually was a diary. It's right in the title. ;)

i know... but she was just writing one.
i don't have any problem with this perfection thing really though. just play to the best of your abilities and move on to the next project.

To me..music is more about personal fulfillment than anything else.It has to make ME feel good.I still play out on occasion,and it feels great,but just jaming and practicing does it for me just as much

Remember,the Beatles stopped touring for more than their last three years as a band,and arguably,made their best,and most creative music during that period.

Its not all about the stage.Plenty of bands/musicians stop touring for years at a time.

Steve B

Anne Franks Diary was in book form. ergo......

Music is a hobby for me, Drums, harmonica, keyboard, ukelele. I play for me and don't feel that I am missing anything by not playing out. I did that when I was your age. Things change. We all don't become or wish to become "rock stars" Thats the reason half of the players on this site can't do rudiments especially double stroke rolls. They all have the dream of being "rock stars" and just playing fast and loud, as if thats all that mattered.

I've played more gigs than I know how to count. All kinds of clubs, weddings, large venues, corporate events and some included well known international musicians.

Though I still do gig, at this point, I could care a less if I ever play another gig again for many, many, many years.

Practicing and improving is what keeps me motivated - gigging is at the absolute bottom of the list.

Personally I agree with the OP. I HAVE to play out. At the bare minimum jam with other people. I have had at least a gig every week for the past 4 years, but I had two weeks off at Christmas and I was starting to get depressed.

I enjoy playing for a crowd and seeing the audience bounce to my rhythm.

Personal playing for me is good therapy. It just brings me personal joy. When I have something to share, I do. but, If I were housebound, I would play for my own peace of mind.

Played many gigs when I was younger. These days I find it's a lot of trouble for not much reward. I just like playing but I could do without all the hassle, logistics and commitment of gigs.

Personally I agree with the OP. I HAVE to play out. At the bare minimum jam with other people. I have had at least a gig every week for the past 4 years, but I had two weeks off at Christmas and I was starting to get depressed.

I enjoy playing for a crowd and seeing the audience bounce to my rhythm.
This sums up my personal feelings exactly. I don't gig every week, probably, on average, every other week, but I get restless when it goes beyond 2 weeks. Our band practices weekly too, so I get a regular fix of making music.

I think the important distinction is creating music with other musicians (or playing everything yourself, if you're lucky enough to be that talented), rather than concentration solely on playing the instrument. Gigging and/or recording the final product being the ultimate expression & gratification platforms.

I think the important distinction is creating music with other musicians (or playing everything yourself, if you're lucky enough to be that talented), rather than concentration solely on playing the instrument. Gigging and/or recording the final product being the ultimate expression & gratification platforms.

exactly. when I move up to london after the summer I'm pretty much just gonna go jam with random dudes when I have spare time.
there is nothing better than playing music
for me even percussion pales in comparison to the bigger picture
may not be a very popular opinion on drummerworld though

I live for playing gigs. I love playing the drums for others so much, words fail. Thoughts of drums, and drumming, and ALL the good people here, consume much of my thinking. I really do think about you guys a lot during my day. I love being a drummer that guitarists and other musicians really enjoy playing with. I love it when non dancing type people are unconsciously moving something. I love seeing people dance and observing their own personal sexual dance as they try and get close to their partners. THAT's entertainment lol. I love the fact that I am responsible for that girl, who has her eyes closed, and is totally lost in the (alcohol assisted) feeling she's experiencing, just bobbing to the music, and giving her temporary asylum from the grind of life.

Music heals. Good music soothes the soul. It goes so much further than nailing that fill. How petty. I am all about the very large picture of what music can do to/for people. It's good to get your head out of the microscope and instead tune in to the total net effect. It's not how perfectly you can play the drums, it's all about how good you can make everyone feel by your drumming. That's what I'm talking about...

I've always like playing parties. Those are the fun gigs usually. The food is always good and the refreshments are always free. Sometimes I even get paid. If I'm playing a venue or a bar or something, I want to get paid. I'm tired of playing for free. Especially now with gas prices the way they are, and all that money I pay to practice, keep my equipment up to par, etc. So, I won't play a gig just to play a gig. A band can get plenty of exposure on the internet.

I got a late state at age 35 (almost 2 years ago). I just enjoy having something to work on and obsess over... I already have a career and stuff, I just need a hobby. At some point I may want to play with others, but I'm not worried about it now.

Back