More adjustable hi hat clutch.

I was checking out Tama's Cobra Clutch this past Saturday. I've been looking at these for years and they are a very fluid working device. Unlike a typical drop clutch, Tamas Cobra Clutch can be adjusted through a wide range of heights to get the hat sound your after. I usually always have my left foot on the hi hat pedal, so this is basically the reason I haven't bought one....yet.

I really don't know what pedals, other than Tama, that this clutch might fit. It seems to have a high degree of adjustments that might be needed for use with other stands. As I said above, the action on the Cobra Clutch is very easy to get accustomed to with just a slight turn of your heel it will engage or disengage.

Dennis

It should work on most pedals, just make sure the clamp that attaches the clutch to the hihat is long enough, the tama one is just a tiny bit too short for my pearl eliminator hihat stand- I had to use another clamp instead. Best way to check if you're buying at the local drum shop is to fit it to the same model stand as what you have at home. (if they have one)

I like the idea of the clutch and arm thingy. Some questions:

1) Do the magnets really hold the top hat well? And, how much more work is there assembling the top hat with the Coady Clutch? When going to and from gigs, I currently don't remove my top hat from the clutch assembly. I just put the hat in a cymbal bag with the clutch still attached. Yes, it makes for a protrusion, but would the Coady Clutch result in more of a protrusion?

2) Is it really that easy to drop the top hat? I ask because I use a standard drop clutch, and too often, my strike is not always perfect (even though I've been striking this thing for 20 years!). So much so, that most of the time, I drop the clutch by hand, while playing with one hand. I don't like that because I end up having to plan ahead, so to speak.

3) Does that arm thingy really do the trick? In theory, it sounds great to only have to move your foot off the pedal to have the top hat drop. After all, the only reason I would move my foot off the hi-hat is if I'm moving to another pedal. Is the arm cumbersome to install and remove for setup and breakdown?

4) The company seems to make it a hassle to find a dealer, by filling out a stupid form on their website. There isn't even a price anywhere. Where did you get yours and how much was it?

5) I assume the wash control only helps INCREASE the level of wash, and cannot help keep the hats tight. Is that correct?

I think the Cobra Clutch sounds and looks cool, but it seems like one more large-ish item to have to cart to and from gigs, and I don't fancy the idea of increasing my footprint. Even though it might SEEM like only a little increase, who knows what really happens once it's put into play.

Thanks for any, and all, info.
Sorry I wasn't following this thread and wasn't aware someone had questions...

1) The magnets will hold cymbals up to 2.5 kg weight - that's the info I read somewhere on the manufacturer website. I just checked and disengaged the top hat from the magnet - it's just the right power to let you disengage it without applying sheer power but clearly (more than) enough for real life applications. The top hat won't come off when hitting hard - well I didn't want to damage the cymbal, maybe there is one (extreme) point when it comes off. But under normal operating conditions... no.

There's actually 3 magnet elements. Their grip totally works as long as the top part of the clutch stays in its normal position. Hitting it with a stick makes it tilt, thus the magnets disengage, not having any contact to the metal disk mounted onto the top hat. According to this, you can hit the hat quite hard and it won't drop - it takes a direct hit on the clutch top to disengage the magnets. Smart design, convenient handling, not too bulky design and affordable!

You could (dis)assemble it every time, it doesn't take much time. You need a drum key for the top unit with the magnet though, to fix it at the position/height wanted.

2) You might need a couple of hits to learn how much force you'll need. No prob, it can't get any easier technically. Yes it's easy!

3) The arm thingy... I experimented with it for maybe 15-20 minutes - it works but it took me a bit experimenting with the setting. I'm not using it for now but packed it away. That's also because I'm a beginner and I don't have a full kit, I'm just practicing/playing for fun. I might need it at some point.

4) I simply e-mailed them. I'm a member of the Drumming System Online (please guys don't bash Jared Falk & Railroad Media...) and in one of their online lessons they had Mike Michalkow as a guest instructor (Mike also did several full program CD/DVD sets with Railroad Media) and Mike just shared some info on this clutch and said in case someone is interested just drop them an e-mail ([email protected]) telling you're a student of Mike (Mike is a Billdidit endorser). At that time they had some 'cosmetically blemished' Coady clutches at about 50% discount so I ordered one, that is, the full Coady combo. The price was CAD 35.99 (shipping was extra). When it arrived I had to look closely and still couldn't really make out blemishes so it was a pretty hot deal. I don't know how many of those 'blemished' Coady clutches they had in stock - maybe you could still get some with a discount. Just e-mail them and find out. (I also got a Billdidit t-shirt for free because I was among the fastest who 'liked' them on facebook, haha.)

5) Correct. You can dial in the exact distance between the hats (when the top hat is in 'down' position) which translates into the amount of wash. I have that wash control on my hat, but it's in minimum position, thus having no effect. I have it there just in case. I'm practicing at very low volume so creating some wash would be mindblowingly loud for me, haha.

It's a great tool (or rather, the whole combination). Still I'll try the Cobra Clutch, I'm curious...

Last edited:
Could someone with a Cobra Clutch please measure the widest point of the base for me? I have about 4.5" of open space to the left of my hi-hat. Thanks.

Forget the last post. The reason I was considering the Cobra Clutch is because I want a closed sound, but I just got off the phone with BillDidIt, and turns out they have a clutch model that has the option of playing the hats with a tighter, closed sound. I spoke directly to one of the engineers there, and also discussed modifications I might be able to make to this model myself for even more flexibility. Same price as the original clutch, but they're a custom order, so you have to get it through them directly. Good news is that you can always convert this model to a standard Coady Clutch, if you don't want the option of a closed sound. What do I have to lose?

Last edited:
OK, the Coady Clutch DT arrived two days ago. Been playing it and it's great for keeping the hats closed tightly enough to get rid of any wash sound that results from the typical DW or Gibraltar drop clutch. I kinda wish I had also ordered the Trip Arm, 'cause if I order it now, that $24 piece will cost me $44, because of the shipping. :-( Maybe I should try to make my own trip arm. Hmmmm....

Hey, I didn't know there's a DT (Drop Tight) version... This must be pretty new, I haven't seen this version when I ordered my Coady Clutch Combo. This manufacturer comes up with really neat stuff! Small but quite helpful non-frills tools.

You could order some more stuff from them to make up for the shipping and sell/give the surplus stuff to other drummers, think of a group order.

Last edited:
I know. Did you see my post above about that? The company is comprised of a bunch of killer engineers (I know because I spoke to a them directly), which is probably why their business sense is slightly askew! ;-) You can buy directly from them, but you have to call, and if you're in the U.S., shipping is a bit steep as they are in Canada.

You could order some more stuff from them to make up for the shipping and sell/give the surplus stuff to other drummers, think of a group order.
How much stuff can I buy from them, you know what I mean? I already own their flagship (and most expensive) product. If I knew a bunch of drummers local to me that might want some of their products, your idea of a group buy is something to consider, and worth a shot, although I don't see that as being likely :-( I guess you never know, so without further ado:

Here's a shout out to drummers near Sacramento, CA who want something from BillDidIt... please post up! :)

I know. Did you see my post above about that? The company is comprised of a bunch of killer engineers (I know because I spoke to a them directly), which is probably why their business sense is slightly askew! ;-) You can buy directly from them, but you have to call, and if you're in the U.S., shipping is a bit steep as they are in Canada.

I don't mean to pry or ask intensely personal questions, but how much does a Coady Clutch cost? I mean, like, someone actually has to get money into their hands, right, and then they like put one in the mail and send it to you? I get the feeling it is a proprietary business secret. Maybe it's to keep anyone from purchasing one, which means it couldn't be reverse engineered.

Hmm, thats a pretty cool design, but you can only have it one way or the other. I'd love to try either their normal drop or drop tight design, but I really like my drop clutch + cobra clutch setup.

And that wire bar that always disengages the hats when you take your foot off the hh would infuriate me.

I don't mean to pry or ask intensely personal questions, but how much does a Coady Clutch cost? I mean, like, someone actually has to get money into their hands, right, and then they like put one in the mail and send it to you? I get the feeling it is a proprietary business secret. Maybe it's to keep anyone from purchasing one, which means it couldn't be reverse engineered.
It's $44 for for the clutch.

I really don't think it's a matter of piracy, as I believe they've patented the design, or the patent is pending. I really think it's because the idea was initially a backyard invention, and now they don't know how to ramp up their business. I wouldn't be surprised if some big boys buy out the design soon. ;-)

Hmm, thats a pretty cool design, but you can only have it one way or the other. I'd love to try either their normal drop or drop tight design, but I really like my drop clutch + cobra clutch setup.
For me, it's perfect, because I wanted a tighter hi-hat sound than a standard drop clutch. I have a sizzle ride already, and there are plenty of other ways to get a sound similar to a washy hi-hat. The cobra clutch was indeed a contender for me, but in the end, I didn't want the hassle of the the cobra clutch, 'cause I got plenty enough to haul to gigs as it is. ;-)

And that wire bar that always disengages the hats when you take your foot off the hh would infuriate me.
Then don't order the trip arm when you get the clutch, as the trip arm is only an option. ;-) I, on the other hand, wish I had gotten one! Keep me in mind if you decide to get a Coady Clutch, cause maybe you can order the combo and I'll take the Trip Arm off your hands. Depending upon your location, it might end up cheaper for each of us in the long run. ;-)

Thought I'd post pics of my own version of a trip arm for my Coady Clutch. I simply attached a short boom arm from a kick drum mic stand to my rack, since I haven't needed the boom since installing a Kelly Shu mount in my kick a couple of years ago. So, now, I simply remove my foot from the hi-hat pedal and the top hat drops. Gotta love it!

Nothing like recycling parts, either, so this cost me zilch! And, one more reason I love my rack! ;-)

Trip_Arm1.jpg

Trip_Arm2.jpg

So basically the boom arm always has it engaged? What if you wanted a slightly open sloshy sound? Im assuming youd have to move the boom arm?

I'd like to buy one of these but apparently you have to find a dealer. Even the price of one of these seems to be a closely guarded secret. First rule of business: Always make it easy for people to give you money.

Hi this is Joe from Billdidit - using Ashley's account. I wanted to apologize if we made it seem like we're difficult to do business with. We weren't trying to keep any secrets - I promise - we have just been evolving from the garage to being a player on the global scene.

When we first introduced our products, it was tough to get shelf space at retail stores. We were new, unknown, untested, and competing for shelf space with Pearl, DW, Gibraltar, etc. So, we set up an e-commerce site so we could sell online. Eventually, we got a good distributor (Direct Music Supply - part of the Regal Tip Group) who started getting us onto retail shelves. After a few months, we had lots of dealers and they started complaining about our e-commerce site! So, we shut down the e-commerce site. We still didn't have dealers everywhere, so we set up the "find a dealer" form so that we could direct people to the nearest dealers (if their local dealer wasn't on board yet).

It's a big climb from the garage to the global scene and I apologize for the little bumps along the way.

We have now formed a global partnership with Dixon Drums / Reliance International so we are truly global now. More details on that relationship will follow shortly.

If you ever wanted to contact us directly for whatever reason, my personal cell is 902 371 4335. It's usually easier to get a hold of Ashley at the office (877 850 9450) or [email protected] - but I want the world to know that we're accessible.

We've got lots of new ideas and we hope the drummers of the world will give us a shot! We think we can create some cool stuff for you guys.

Joe Menchefski. President. Billdidit Inc. (via Ashley MacDonald, Marketing Coordinator)

p.s. The suggested retail price on the Clutch is currently $44.99. Many retailers are selling for less.

So basically the boom arm always has it engaged? What if you wanted a slightly open sloshy sound? Im assuming youd have to move the boom arm?
The arm is not always engaged. It's positioned in such a manner that it touches the clutch when the hi-hat is nearly fully open, which you can see in pic 2. So, if I want a slightly sloshier sound, I simply keep my foot on the hi-hat pedal and open the hi-hat part way.

The arm is not always engaged. It's positioned in such a manner that it touches the clutch when the hi-hat is nearly fully open, which you can see in pic 2. So, if I want a slightly sloshier sound, I simply keep my foot on the hi-hat pedal and open the hi-hat part way.
I need to clarify something: I have the Drop Tight version of the clutch, which applies downward pressure on the top hat when the clutch disengages, so I get a tight closing of the hats.

Thus, the "trip arm"/boom I rigged has nothing to do with how tight the hats are kept. The clutch itself regulates that. When I step off the pedal completely, the hi-hat pull-rod rises all the way up, causing the clutch to hit the boom arm. That action "trips" the clutch (disengages it), and the top hat falls.

So, if I want a sloshier/washier sound, I basically work the hi-hat with my foot, like I normally do.

Ooh the drop tight version sounds like exactly what im looking for.

Quite honestly i have my hats about 1/4-1/2" apart at the most at all times, im looking for something to close them tight when i engage it, thats also reliable

Back