Anyone pad their bass drum claws?

Soupy

Silver Member
So I have shiny new drums and was thinking about cutting out felt to pad the bass drum claws so they don't chew the hoops as much. Anyone try this, and is there any reason not to do it? Figure it'll take a couple hours to cut out a whole bunch of little bits of felt, plus I'd have to go buy some black felt first, so I'd love to know if anyone has done the same.

Great question soupy. I had a DW collector's kit that within a few days showed obvious marks from all of the claws. I was extremely disappointed with that. So I can't wait to hear what others think on this subject.

Well my Saturn claws are rubber lined. No marks on mine. Another plug for Mapex.

Well my Saturn claws are rubber lined. No marks on mine. Another plug for Mapex.

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what has Mapex done for us?

(wonder if anyone else gets the reference)

Great question soupy. I had a DW collector's kit that within a few days showed obvious marks from all of the claws. I was extremely disappointed with that. So I can't wait to hear what others think on this subject.

Hey Boom what year was that kit? With automotive grade finish and diecast claws I wouldn't expect that.

PDP has claws with felt lining. I had called DW after I got my Collectors set and asked if the DDubs shouldn't have them as well. They just said: "Nope - only the Pacific kits have those. I guess if they were cheap enough, PDP claws would work.

I was fortunate to pick up some spare hoops so my pedal does not damage the originals. The replacements are actually nice, a natural wood finish that would complement most drum finishes.

I know most manufacturers put something on their claws nowadays but I recall a lot of companies didn't do this. My question is: do you absolutely need it? I've hadLudwigs and Slingerlands and the claws never caused damage to the hoops. If the hoop finishes aren't totally strong then line your claws. But the finish should be quite strong to begin with.

I know most manufacturers put something on their claws nowadays but I recall a lot of companies didn't do this. My question is: do you absolutely need it? I've hadLudwigs and Slingerlands and the claws never caused damage to the hoops. If the hoop finishes aren't totally strong then line your claws. But the finish should be quite strong to begin with.
I know your Elite's are rubber lined.

That 1936 Leedy bass drum I have has claw marks all over the place on those maple hoops, even under the paint.

Last edited:
That 1936 Brady bass drum I have has claw marks all over the place on those maple hoops, even under the paint.

I know my claws are lined. For the price they should be. But when I was a kid with my kits from the 70s, mostly all hoops were black and periodically I'd refinish and re-paint if I had too. I considered it the cost of doing business, it's not hard to do. Even with lined claws, you just may suffer other damage. I say just go out and play for now. That's what the drums are for

Hey Boom what year was that kit? With automotive grade finish and diecast claws I wouldn't expect that.

I got it this year. They are replacing it for a ton of problems I had with it (see my thread on here). That was a problem I didn't even bring up. The claws are lined, but they didn't protect the hoop at all. I actually expect to remove the claws at the store when the new drum comes in and still see marks on the hoop. I did just go and look at my 11 year old Tama Starclassic kit and while there are small marks from all the gigging, it appears those claws protect the hoop better.

My dw's are piano black which might be part of the problem. Black shows every single imperfection like crazy. But it is still extremely disappointing.

The companies that don't pad the claws will tell you they do so to preserve resonance. I wondered the same thing when I got my drums and this was the answer all those companies gave. Whether you care about that or even agree/believe it's true is up to you.

The companies that don't pad the claws will tell you they do so to preserve resonance. I wondered the same thing when I got my drums and this was the answer all those companies gave. Whether you care about that or even agree/believe it's true is up to you.
So many spins by so many companies. Who do we believe. :) I think I decided through this whole back into acoustic trip I have been on, is just buy what I think works. Don't believe everything you read, by the spin doctors. :)

i have felt in all my claws.

if you go to a craft store they sell felt with a sitcky backing.

take a piece of masking tape and put it inside the claw where you want the felt.

use a razor knife and trim it so no tape is exposed. Then pull the tape out and stick it on. peice of cardbord. cut it out and you now have a pattern.

take that and use a pen to trace out you cuts on the bacing of the felt, cut them out and there you go.

i have a few kits and all my kicks sound great, to say that felt effects the sound is hard for me to believe. all my kits look mint and sound great, will not stop using it.

i have felt in all my claws.

if you go to a craft store they sell felt with a sitcky backing.

take a piece of masking tape and put it inside the claw where you want the felt.

use a razor knife and trim it so no tape is exposed. Then pull the tape out and stick it on. peice of cardbord. cut it out and you now have a pattern.

take that and use a pen to trace out you cuts on the bacing of the felt, cut them out and there you go.

i have a few kits and all my kicks sound great, to say that felt effects the sound is hard for me to believe. all my kits look mint and sound great, will not stop using it.

+1.I have used felt and thin rubber from bicycle tires to line my claws,and I use it on the bottom of my reso side hoop on the bass drum,under the pedal clamp.Works like crazy,and the drums sound fine to me.

Steve B

+1.I have used felt and thin rubber from bicycle tires to line my claws,and I use it on the bottom of my reso side hoop on the bass drum,under the pedal clamp.Works like crazy,and the drums sound fine to me.

Steve B

Dang...you guys are a creative bunch. I was wondering what I could use that was pretty thin, but more durable than felt. My kids probably have a spare tube that I can hijack.

Back