How much is this kit worth? [MANY PICS]

Because she's a newbie and it's all a learning curve mate.....a steep one at times too. And that's where the "old hands" (by that I mean experience over age) come in to show 'em the path.

And another part of the learning curve is figuring out who is providing useful information, and who is merely a rambling incoherent fool.

Kettles has good advice. Figure out a new price for something comparable and factor in what you want to pay used. And compare with the relative prices of other drum sets you see advertised. Does used gear go for 3/4 of the new price, or only 1/2? More or less?

Used gear is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. There is no natural value to it, but rather, there is only the price that you (or someone else) is willing to pay.

Mapex were formed in the 80's, got well known in the 90's, so they aren't that vintage... ;)
That said, I think that kit is from the 90'ish.

Alright tho the design looks old IMO.

I own that ride and it's just good enough that I am planning on replacing it last (the best of the worst).

Alright will take note of that.

Well, you'll have to do some research in your country to see what the market will bear. If you're anything like Australia, I'll bet you guys are over-paying for gear in the first place, which usually brings the prices up for everything, including used gear. Here in the States, it might be worth $400 to $500, but somewhere far away it could be worth more because of the shipping and import taxes.

Agreed, it's the tax + shipping cost so much. Yes we over-pay a lot of stuff especially ones that are made in US...hope you get what I mean.

that is NOT a child's or beginners set. it's also not an expensive set but a decent set none the less. those are basically an older verison meridian birch kit which retails for about $800 usd. given that it looks like it still has factory heads in good shape on it, it hasn't been used a whole lot and probably in is real good shape..

the hardware is not great and i would dump it asap and get something better.

the cymbals are virtually worthless used.

start out offering 400$ and see what you can get it for. use the cymbals and hardware for as long as you need to save a little more then turn around and sell them for something better.

Yes, this kit so far IS THE BEST USED kit I can find at my country. No rust at all IMO, and the finish looks good too no scratches anywhere.

You won't find too many clear hand rubbed lacquer finishes on beginners kits. This is an intermediate kit.

I thought so too C; Great minds think a like eh? XD

For you it is, not me. Its a childs toy could you see one of your hero drummers playing that on tour in Canada? No you couldn't would Backman Turner n Hoochs Overderive play that kit? I doubt it!!! You know better sticks to the Saturns that you know. Doc

Why don't you come over to Malaysia and see the Malaysian market for drums By yourself? Why not? :)

Besides you guys are often asking people to buy used kit, in my country it's already hard enough hard to find used drums yet find some high-end used kits.

For the win!!

You simply cannot employ US pricing on a kit based in your own country. Hell, if I was able to pick up gear for the US dollar prices I see bandied around this forum....I'd own everything I ever wanted.

And she's a beginner, no? Does she need a Saturn at this point?

There's a whole "rest of the world" that ain't contained within your borders mate.......the overwhelming majority of them don't accept US$.......and so often a straight currency conversion into US$ doesn't accurately represent fair value in that country either.

Ah I see, I made a mistake then. =\

Yes I am a beginner just started drummer for 2months and still living on Practice pads and my trusty 5B sticks.

Come on Doc. 400 US dollars cuts it in one country and one country alone. Unless you're up to speed with used prices in Malaysia, I don't think you can afford to be so adamant here.

This post is made of pure win!!!
py08.gif

Because she's a newbie and it's all a learning curve mate.....a steep one at times too. And that's where the "old hands" (by that I mean experience over age) come in to show 'em the path.

I understand your angle. I just wanted to clarify that a direct US$ to other currency equivalent is not the best way to work out fair value. It certainly doesn't work that way in Oz. I posted more so to explain that angle to anyone outside of the States who is inexperienced in dealing with the local used market and I just happened to think your post best enabled me to make that point. US prices are relevant for the US, they don't necessarily carry over to other currencies. ;-)

Yeash I need help that's why I open a thread here.

Well I hope you two get a long well...just agree to disagree if you have to =D Oh sorry if I had to quote you twice I just had to do that, I hope you can understand.

Ah I see, I made a mistake then. =\

Yes I am a beginner just started drummer for 2months and still living on Practice pads and my trusty 5B sticks.

This post is made of pure win!!!
py08.gif

Yeash I need help that's why I open a thread here.

Well I hope you two get a long well...just agree to disagree if you have to =D Oh sorry if I had to quote you twice I just had to do that, I hope you can understand.
OK. How did you do the emoticon?

Easy way to solve this. Find out what the new equivalent is worth (ie Meridian Birch) and think about how much you'd have to be saving to warrant buying the used one.

Are you sure they are birch? I had a friend who owned one of these, for some reason I didn't think they were all birch.

The new price for the kit alone here at Malaysia is about RM3800++ roughly 1180USD++
What?! I thought there could be only 2 kinds of Meridian kits? Birch and Maple? IMO either way its a good 1st kit.

If it isn't birch, the what is it? O_O?

Are these new or used now? 400.00! Thats it, no more! Unless you wanna give me more? Doc

It is used.

Last edited:
I have owned the M Series in exactly that color. They are not birch, they are basswood, (at least mine were, and I bought them new around 2004?) but they are a good intermediate drum and will serve you well. They sound quite good, and lots of semi-pro drummers use midline Mapex for gigging kits, where they don't want to take an expensive kit into a rough club.

I can't tell you much about price in your area, but having owned that same kit, I can tell you the quality will be fine for a beginning/intermediate drummer. The cymbals are not ones I would choose, but you have to start somewhere!

Good luck!

The new price for the kit alone here at Malaysia is about RM3300 roughly 1000USD?
What?! I thought there could be only 2 kinds of Meridian kits? Birch and Maple? IMO either way its a good 1st kit.

If it isn't birch, the what is it? O_O?

Meridians are the latest incarnation of the 'M' series of kits. This kit you're looking at is a few generations older than the Meridians. I believe the M comes from "Mars" which is what the series was originally called. Don't quote me on that :) I just remember when I was looking at buying a Pro M around 2006, and the Mapex rep told me there was a new series called the 'M Birch', which was basically a birch equivalent to the Pro M (which is Asian maple).

I have owned the M Series in exactly that color. They are not birch, they are basswood, (at least mine were, and I bought them new around 2004?) but they are a good intermediate drum and will serve you well. They sound quite good, and lots of semi-pro drummers use midline Mapex for gigging kits, where they don't want to take an expensive kit into a rough club.

I can't tell you much about price in your area, but having owned that same kit, I can tell you the quality will be fine for a beginning/intermediate drummer. The cymbals are not ones I would choose, but you have to start somewhere!

Good luck!

What he said.

You won't be able to sell the cymbals for much (if they even last that long!) so don't pay too much extra for them. For the lot I wouldn't pay any more than half the price of a new Meridian Birch kit.

Good luck!

Basswood?! Hmm you sure? Have any links to prove it....?
Anyways thanks for your time.

I love them, but I don't think they allow them on here. :(

What did you mean by they don't allow them here? I could get banned for that?!
py04.gif

Meridians are the latest incarnation of the 'M' series of kits. This kit you're looking at is a few generations older than the Meridians. I believe the M comes from "Mars" which is what the series was originally called. Don't quote me on that :) I just remember when I was looking at buying a Pro M around 2006, and the Mapex rep told me there was a new series called the 'M Birch', which was basically a birch equivalent to the Pro M (which is Asian maple).

What he said.

You won't be able to sell the cymbals for much (if they even last that long!) so don't pay too much extra for them. For the lot I wouldn't pay any more than half the price of a new Meridian Birch kit.

Ok, will do my best to Nego with the seller then.

@ALL:
Sorry for "excessive double posting" cuz I can't seem to find any spoiler tags at this forum...if not I'd have it all in 1 reply LOL

I'm not sure why it's up to me to prove it. Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to help. But here you go-

http://www.magdonmusic.com/drums/Mapex/MAIN.html

Basswood with an outer ply of maple for finish. The basswood is very soft and easy to tell from maple or birch.

Course you're a good soul :D

Ok will ask the seller about the wood of the kit. Tho is the difference that noticeable? (With basswood and with out)

That's a good site, I have looked for a Mapex history site before but never found that one. Also confirms my thoughts that the older Pro M weren't fully maple.

Yea me too. =\

py04.gif

No, sure not get banned.....

but we just don't like the smilies - a reclict of the beginnings of the net.

Bernhard

py04.gif

No, sure not get banned.....

but we just don't like the smilies - a reclict of the beginnings of the net.

Bernhard

Pardon me? What do you mean?

Bernhard, you're a very naughty boy :)

lol wut? =.=

it's a lower end mapex.... you can tell by 6 lugs on the floor, and 8 lugs on bass drum/snare.... not that that's a bad thing

i think you should aim for about RM2~ 2.5.... don't go above 2.5 i think.

if you can find a pro-m grab it.... they're amazing kits.

I see...but IIRC the current ones have also the same number of lugs?

Alright.

Back