[USED] Pearl VBX vs PDP m5

BabyBob

Silver Member
Good day guys, as the title says which is better?

The 2 of them is THE most "high-end" USED Kit in KL that I can find!!! Yes you guys suggest going used am I right? Anyways both come with Hardware(but No cymbals, I'll be getting new cymbals) and are in great condition 9.8/10 for the pearl and 9.5/10 for the PDP. FYI, the Pearl is a bit newer BUT the PDP have better heads (Not stock heads). Which one is a better buy? Pricing in Malaysia is a bit higher...both of them is around 700$ usd+ (RM2.3K+) Oh BTW if You missed my cymbal thread here it is...My Cymbal Thread

Thanks,
Marilyn.

Hi Marilyn,

the VBX is normally the more expensive kit of the two. If it's all in good condition, it's theoretically the better kit.. That means it will probably hold it's resale value better too. Important if you want to upgrade at a later stage. If you can get to play these kits, of course, let your ears decide. I can tell you though that the original Pearl heads are pretty horrible, so maybe that's something you need to factor into your decision.

Good luck!

Hi Marilyn,

the VBX is normally the more expensive kit of the two. If it's all in good condition, it's theoretically the better kit.. That means it will probably hold it's resale value better too. Important if you want to upgrade at a later stage. If you can get to play these kits, of course, let your ears decide. I can tell you though that the original Pearl heads are pretty horrible, so maybe that's something you need to factor into your decision.

Good luck!

Wow finally...a Reply ^_^

Oh I see, yea I also thought so. But the problem is the 2 kits are from different sellers.....I can't test them side by side ;C

Thanks for your time, KIS.

Wow finally...a Reply ^_^

You know - 5 hours isn't a huge amount of time. Be patient. Most users aren't active for a few more hours anyway (besides KIS and myself, most days).

I would personally go for the Pearl due to having a lot more experience with the VBX than the PDP kits.

I also second KIS' comments about the drums holding their value for resale more with VBX.

Have you had a chance to listen to/play either kit? If you can't in person then try scouring youtube for people sound checking their kits or recording them.

Good luck either way - getting new kit is beyond exciting! I get jealous fury when everyone else is getting new kits and I can't afford to :p My new 10" tom and my new throne will just have to do!

Yeah the VBX is a pretty amazing kit. I went to a WinterJam in ATL this year and guess what they used? A VBX in Concord Fade. It sounded amazing micced up and the toms just had a very pleasing attack that wasn;t overbearing. Tuned high or low, they;ll sound great. The heads are a minor issue. Throw on some Emperors and they'll be sounding high-end in no time.

Plus, Pearl Customer Service is INCREDIBLE!

You don't need side by side comparisons take each componient say a 10" tom and compare them even if you need to take some notes. You can hit the drum then go to the rod furthest away from you and detune a 1/2 of turn and see if theres a decent sound or does it go to mush. This will give you an idea of tuning range abilirty, I actually start with the bass drum because I'm most concerned about botton end from them with out tuning sloppy. The hardware design should be considered also and the over all cosmetic condition too. Also have the owners hit the drums individually while your out front to hear the projection, hopefully their decently tuned if not tune them! I'm not familar with pdp drums or that model by Pearl but I have owned Masters kits and other than their Birch offerings I think the Pearls are top notch in sound and structure. Are both offering the sizes you need?
Again go listen and take notes and be honest don't let a finish sway you from sound and fuction, its ALL about the sound especially when talking about acoustic instruments. Doc

I would personally go for the Pearl due to having a lot more experience with the VBX than the PDP kits.

I also second KIS' comments about the drums holding their value for resale more with VBX.

Have you had a chance to listen to/play either kit? If you can't in person then try scouring youtube for people sound checking their kits or recording them.

Good luck either way - getting new kit is beyond exciting! I get jealous fury when everyone else is getting new kits and I can't afford to :p My new 10" tom and my new throne will just have to do!

I see, yes I will be going over too the sellers place to check it out.

Yeah the VBX is a pretty amazing kit. I went to a WinterJam in ATL this year and guess what they used? A VBX in Concord Fade. It sounded amazing micced up and the toms just had a very pleasing attack that wasn;t overbearing. Tuned high or low, they;ll sound great. The heads are a minor issue. Throw on some Emperors and they'll be sounding high-end in no time.

Plus, Pearl Customer Service is INCREDIBLE!

You don't need side by side comparisons take each componient say a 10" tom and compare them even if you need to take some notes. You can hit the drum then go to the rod furthest away from you and detune a 1/2 of turn and see if theres a decent sound or does it go to mush. This will give you an idea of tuning range abilirty, I actually start with the bass drum because I'm most concerned about botton end from them with out tuning sloppy.

The hardware design should be considered also and the over all cosmetic condition too. Also have the owners hit the drums individually while your out front to hear the projection, hopefully their decently tuned if not tune them! I'm not familar with pdp drums or that model by Pearl but I have owned Masters kits and other than their Birch offerings I think the Pearls are top notch in sound and structure. Are both offering the sizes you need?
Again go listen and take notes and be honest don't let a finish sway you from sound and fuction, its ALL about the sound especially when talking about acoustic instruments. Doc

What did you mean by that? Test the toms individually? BTW I'm still a beginner and I don't really know tuning and such T.T

Yea the hardware is good it's 900 series, tested at my local music store (Bentley Music Center Damansara). The condition of both kits are REALLY Good that's why I made this thread lol...Yes both are fusion size which I prefer over Standard "rock" size. But 1more thing is I'm taking a Birch against a Maple kit...will the differences be That noticeable?
(Remember I am still a newbie)

@ALL:
Once again thanks for your time...I guess I know why I wanted replys but no1 replied cuz it's still quite early in the US? And I'm in Malaysia LOL Now it's almost 10Pm.

Instead of listening to the kits being played were every drum is being used, isolate the drums one on one. Compare each drum from one kit to the other (take notes), it may give you a better comparison when you isolate the drums. You need to sit down and play them and as I said move in front of them while some one plays to hear how they sound out in front. Take your time and this is a great lesson to learn because drums often come and go and cymbals remain once you get the right combination of them. I enjoy shopping for drums and often get asked to suggest options here where I live. I'm buying drums now for a friends retail shop and have alot to learn about the newer (last 15 yrs) mid line gear.
Good luck and glad to see you go for a fusion sized kit instead of the rock sizes. The small to mid sizes are more focussed and multi dimentional. Go learn!!! Doc

Yeah, you posted at 11PM and 4AM US east coast time, which is even a bit early in the morning for a lot of Europe as well. Patience, grasshopper!

The type of wood doesn't matter so much, heads and tuning have more impact on the sound. Pearl 900 series hardware is great. Gearless tilters on the cymbal stands, sturdy and reliable stuff. Highly recommended.

Wood doesn't matter??? Hey Soup play some basswoods then sit down on my maple Signias and tell me that wood doesn't matter. A shells integrity means alot too, cheap woods that aren't supposed to be used for drum shells will be out of round pretty quickly. Drums start with wood selections then thickness then plies.
Everything else follows. If not I'll start producing basswood shells now and put that fancy burl/walnut finish on them. Should clean up pretty quickly using that great basswood/saw dust/dog /crap combination. Doc

Instead of listening to the kits being played were every drum is being used, isolate the drums one on one. Compare each drum from one kit to the other (take notes), it may give you a better comparison when you isolate the drums. You need to sit down and play them and as I said move in front of them while some one plays to hear how they sound out in front. Take your time and this is a great lesson to learn because drums often come and go and cymbals remain once you get the right combination of them. I enjoy shopping for drums and often get asked to suggest options here where I live. I'm buying drums now for a friends retail shop and have alot to learn about the newer (last 15 yrs) mid line gear.
Good luck and glad to see you go for a fusion sized kit instead of the rock sizes. The small to mid sizes are more focussed and multi dimentional. Go learn!!! Doc

Wow thanks for the wall of text...heh pun not intended.

Yeah, you posted at 11PM and 4AM US east coast time, which is even a bit early in the morning for a lot of Europe as well. Patience, grasshopper!

The type of wood doesn't matter so much, heads and tuning have more impact on the sound. Pearl 900 series hardware is great. Gearless tilters on the cymbal stands, sturdy and reliable stuff. Highly recommended.

I see, yea my bad :(

@ALL:
Sigh, the VBX got sold off while I was away GRRRR!!!
vmad.gif

Yea I guess tuning is really important.

Looks like I have to go for the m5 then.

Back