Want to add a tom but what size?

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have a tama rockstar custom (among others....) that is 22/12/16 and I am dying to have another floor tom but not sure what size will make the most sense in terms of sound.

I really like the deep sound from an 18 or 20 but I am not sure what the 12/16/18 or 12/16/20 would sound like and think that 14 might be the only logical choice.

I cant find many 20's (my kit is caramel or mocha fade -not sure what they called it) and most of the 18 and 14 inch toms are the wrong color but I am still going to get one in some size.

I want a 20 but think the 14 will make the most sense in terms of sound and availability.

Thoughts from more experienced drummers would be greatly appreciated. Specifically the sound of the toms relative to eachother. Rock etc is my style (so far).

Thanks

While 20" floor toms exist, they are very rare.
I can only think of a few times anyone even offered a 20" FT in their catalog, and none of them recently.

Anyhow, I see nothing wrong with 12-16-18 if it's what makes you happy.

Well, if you are a rock drummer, you may want to go with the 18", but if you play oldies or jazz, you may want to consider that 14" drum.

Gavin Harrison's last 3 toms are 12/15/16. That would work. I have a 15" floor tom and like it quite a bit. Not everyone is crazy about 14" floor toms, me among them. But 12/16/18 would work too. I used to have that setup, actually, and it works just fine.

Gavin Harrison's last 3 toms are 12/15/16. That would work. I have a 15" floor tom and like it quite a bit. Not everyone is crazy about 14" floor toms, me among them. But 12/16/18 would work too. I used to have that setup, actually, and it works just fine.

15" really? I always thought it was a 14". His other toms are 8/10 correct? Does anyone else besides sonor offer a 15" floor tom?

And to the OP, I never play any toms above 16", even for rock, but that's just my preference.

15" really? I always thought it was a 14". His other toms are 8/10 correct? Does anyone else besides sonor offer a 15" floor tom?
According to Wikipedia his kit is 8/10/12/15/16.

Most of the major drum makers will make you a 15" if you want. I've had Ludwig and Tama 15" floors. To my knowledge, only Yamaha doesn't offer one but they make a 15"x13" rack that you could put floor tom legs on.

I agree with you on toms larger than 16" - they get harder to distinguish from bass drums beyond that. I've had my share of trouble getting a nice round tone out of my 18" ft. It's especially difficult on a thin shell drum.

It would have to be a 14" floor tom in that arrangement for me. I made the same decision four times over and never regretted it, lol. The only 20" drums that I've seen used as floor toms, were converted 20" bass drums.

Dennis

I've just never got on with 14" floor toms myself. I don't know what it is, I have to have a 16" immediately to my right. Pitch aside there's just a tonal quality you can't get from a 14".

OK so my fear of the 12/16/18 combo has been cleared up. Thanks for all the opinions.

I really wont be able to match my fade finish on my drums so the next challenge is to find a drum that might look somewhat reasonable with my kit (reddish stain or solid color) but I am not so worried about that and I dont have plans to play out until I get a little better anyway.

Going to try to find a Rockstar tom with the same hardware and worry about the wrap later most likely.

I put powerstroke 4s on the kit and the 16 is tuned so low that i cant imagine what an 18 would sound like if tuned lower but I guess I will tackle that if I find an 18.

Thanks for the help!

10" or 14"

As a personal preference I would go for a 10" 16"is deep enough for me, especially if it was 16"X16" and 12"isn't quite high enough for me, so adding a high tom would be my choice.

If I were to downsize my toms to only three it would be 10"X8", 12"X8" 14"X12". If that helps.

If your style is rock, then you probably like and want some volume & punch. Get a 16x18.

I am working on it- I would really like the 18 but i have a feeling ebay is going to offer up a 14 that is closer in make and color sooner (theres a reddish stain/fade 14 tama on there now). Having only played for a year or so I am a little nervous about getting such a big drum that might limit my style/sound over time. I guess its all in the tuning and maybe I am justifying whatever I am going to do but the 14 seems like it would work everywhere.

Im 37 so I think I have another 20 years or so before I need another bass drum right Bo? I bet there is someone who might disagree around here.

Im 37 so I think I have another 20 years or so before I need another bass drum right Bo? I bet there is someone who might disagree around here.

The need and desire for added bass drum density can strike at random - I was only 17 when struck down with this terrible condition.

I am working on it- I would really like the 18 but i have a feeling ebay is going to offer up a 14 that is closer in make and color sooner (theres a reddish stain/fade 14 tama on there now). Having only played for a year or so I am a little nervous about getting such a big drum that might limit my style/sound over time. I guess its all in the tuning and maybe I am justifying whatever I am going to do but the 14 seems like it would work everywhere.

I disagree! It's just another EIGHT years ;) Actually, I'm probably behind the curve a bit. I should have THREE bass drums by now.

its done- scarlet fade 14x14. The color was too close, tama but not rock star. Whatever.

Going to be tons of fun and open up a nwe world of fills etc. and great low end sounds. I Figure if I "need" to, I can always move up to the 18 if it rears its head.

I play a double pedal but I am free from the double bass drum-itis that seems to be rampant around here. Wonder what it is that causes this? Some sor tof physical or mental defficiency or enhancement? Some sort of environmental condition? Another of the worlds great mysteries I suppose....

its done- scarlet fade 14x14. The color was too close, tama but not rock star. Whatever.

Going to be tons of fun and open up a nwe world of fills etc. and great low end sounds. I Figure if I "need" to, I can always move up to the 18 if it rears its head.

I play a double pedal but I am free from the double bass drum-itis that seems to be rampant around here. Wonder what it is that causes this? Some sor tof physical or mental defficiency or enhancement? Some sort of environmental condition? Another of the worlds great mysteries I suppose....

Yep. I'm compensating big time ;)
It's caused by the girls.

Back