Q&A Ludwig Club Date Kit sale

Good luck with that. I think you'll be holding onto those drums, for a very long time, if that's your price. I could be wrong, certainly have been before, but that's my opinion.

I agree. I recently purchased a very good condition Club date set for $700, snare included.

Harsh. Considering I seen this set on the bay for 3K more than once, and that's with less stuff added.

Thats abit heavy for Club Dates, they were no way top of the line and the shells are very weak in comparison to other models. The fact that they become a vintage kit after a certain about of time doesn't improve their sound. They are what they are and in their day they were entry level or for drummers with a light touch. I had a nice red sparkle set about 10 years ago that sold for 650.00 that was very fair (3pc and sn.) if you put a physical drummer behind that kit it'll get destroyed in no time. Some screwy Ludwig guy might spend a grand for a matching snare kit but thats all their worth theres other Ludwigs that come in front of them as for collecting. They don't play well or sound good either. Doc

Harsh. Considering I seen this set on the bay for 3K more than once, and that's with less stuff added.

To see a kits "asking price" on eBay is one thing ... to see a kit sell for that $3K is quite another. I've never seen one "fetch" that kinda dough. I know two cats who own Club Dates ... neither paid anywhere close to $2500. My Luddie kit, cost me $1100. My Yamaha Recording Custom kit, I paid $995. My Gretsch Round Badge kit, I paid $1500 for. All off eBay. Guys here aren't being "harsh" .... just being "real".​

Thats abit heavy for Club Dates, they were no way top of the line and the shells are very weak in comparison to other models. The fact that they become a vintage kit after a certain about of time doesn't improve their sound. They are what they are and in their day they were entry level or for drummers with a light touch. I had a nice red sparkle set about 10 years ago that sold for 650.00 that was very fair (3pc and sn.) if you put a physical drummer behind that kit it'll get destroyed in no time. Some screwy Ludwig guy might spend a grand for a matching snare kit but thats all their worth theres other Ludwigs that come in front of them as for collecting. They don't play well or sound good either. Doc

I respectfully have to disagree Doc.I had a clubdate set that I sold(flipped) a few years ago and the sounded great.Warm and fat with just enough deffinition.

As far as the shells,the reason they sound so good is they use the same exact 3 ply shells as Ludwig Classic,and Super classic.The only difference between the two were the central mounted bow tie lugs,and some bass drum hardware and lack of size choice.

Steve B

they were no way top of the line and the shells are very weak in comparison to other models. The fact that they become a vintage kit after a certain about of time doesn't improve their sound.

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Club Dates are nice drums with the same shell as other 3ply kits, but they were not the top of the line.
They were lower cost drums with less lugs on the bass drum, and over all less lugs because of the bowties.
Doesn't mean they aren't cool drums though.

There are some pretty steep prices on eBay for these drums, so you never know unless you try.
I'm going to watch a few of the higher priced kits and see what they do out of curiosity.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...=260815603992&ps=63&clkid=4638588106776088580

eBay, or listing with a Vintage site/Vintage dealer might be what would do you best. That seems to be your real target market.

Good luck in the selling!!

Centrally located is a nice sounding way to say cheap or inexpensive hahaha!! Either way I played them when they were new and I'd destroy them then. I played a set in very condition 10 years ago and my opinion remains the same. Respectfully SteveB your opinion and mine on this kit differs, good for us.
Stick, my opinions are mine you can disagree and thats ok too if your gonna start insulting me or anyone else I'll rip you a new one ok, grow up!! I have a feeling from your comments you weren't even born when I was on Ludwigs pay attention and learn something the first thing is state your opinion without insulting someone elses. Doc.

There are some pretty steep prices on eBay for these drums, so you never know unless you try.
I'm going to watch a few of the higher priced kits and see what they do out of curiosity.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...=260815603992&ps=63&clkid=4638588106776088580
I certainly don't think this kit will sell for $5.8K. No freakin' way. $2500, would be top. Sure, this guy can dream of getting "large" ... but that ain't gonna happen. And this is a Classic (split lug) ... not a Club Date (center lug).​
Club Dates were the same shells as Classics (3 ply). What made them "affordable" (to compete with the Japanese stencil kits) was hardware. (example: 22 inch kick) Center lug (8 lugs ... two holes per lug ... 16 holes) vs. Split lug (20 lugs ... two holes per lug ... 40 holes) Also cheaper spurs. Cheaper hardware, but most important, less man hours involved. Less holes meant less washers and screws, and less turns of that "manpowered" screwdriver. Made for a "more affordable" drum kit. Ludwig wasn't in a position to develop a new, cheaper drum shell, so they cut corners elsewhere. Later on, with the Standard/Rocker/Rocker II ... different story.​

Personally, I think the only way you are going to break any piece of drum equipment (save for heads, but even they can be made to last) is if you use them incorrectly. It's not a stab at anyone, don't worry, just my opinion. :)

And sorry to say, but 2500$ is a little much. I bought a 69 (Maple, poplar, maple) Club Date with a pioneer snare for 1000$. Sound awesome, but it turns out that was a pretty steep price, and I think I could've done better.

I'd listen to the other guys, especially mentions to Harryconway and Tamadrm, they have a lot of info in the vintage drum department.

Back