Worst designs

Im not sure what part of Canada your from but if you ever get down my way your welcome to give em a pounding but I warn you once you do you may have to own a set...lol

I'm in Southern Ontario. My buddy and I are maybe thinking of going out to see the Sabian factory next summer. Maybe we can hook up.

Easy on the Peavey radials.
tard, I completely subscribe to the sonic principals of the radial bridge, & have spoken to Steven Volpp on the design behind the design. Although the aesthetic is not to most tastes, they do sound fantastic!

& yes Dennis, ISS mounts, what mushrooms did the design guys consume ;)

Those super-cheap drumsets one can buy nowadays aren't even instruments.
To me, they're really just imitations of drumsets and cymbals. Just because
something looks like a drumkit it doesn't have to be one.

This is the line of reasoning which drove Brook Mays into bankruptcy. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that in the real world, such language can be grounds for slander. And, of course, it was the very humble First Act company which drove the mighty Brook Mays into liquidation.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Slingerland drums with the cardboard shells.

Or the Remo drums with the fibreboard shells? Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Count me in as another vote for the ISS mounts. Horrible in every way.

I'm gonna have to disagree on the Remo acousticon, at least the new acousticon. The stuff from the 80's really sucked, but they seriously upped their game on the Gold Crowns. Also the Gladstone method of tuning both heads from the top allowed you to tune both individually as well as both the same. The design I really hate is the cheapo Pearl style tom arms, the expensive ones are great, but the cheap ones are terrible, especially since the low level kits they are usually on have quite deep toms.

I hate how my "stock" Yamaha electronic kit is so cramped. There's not much room for adjustment and I can't get the setup close to my acoustic kit (unless, I assume, I buy several different mounts and stuff.)

285697_10150876332005001_829835000_19839848_8284020_n.jpg

264999_10150867249855001_829835000_19740397_1566503_n.jpg

285626_10150876319710001_829835000_19839534_2227310_n.jpg

263940_10150867240980001_829835000_19740231_4393696_n.jpg

n829835000_5211481_9333.jpg

what is that roto-tom mounted on .. is that a pearl ch-70 stand? I didn't know you could fit a rototom on a normal cymbal arm .. how does that work?

what is that roto-tom mounted on .. is that a pearl ch-70 stand? I didn't know you could fit a rototom on a normal cymbal arm .. how does that work?

When I found the matching 8" tom I moved my 16" to the floor and moved the rest over one spot to make room for the 8" which left me an empty hole between the hats and the 8". I had an old set of roto toms that I let the kids bang on so instead of rearranging my kit I stole the 6" roto tom. I replaced the ugly 3/8 bolt with a longer 3/8 eye bolt and used the Dixon (lower priced) version of a Gibraltar percussion arm and just removed the L arm that would hold a cow bell and used it to grip the non threaded shaft section of the 3/8 eye bolt instead, then used a regular multi clamp to attach the arm to my high hat stand, works perfect. I sprayed it a matching blue and actually have a normal triple flange 6" hoop coming to replace the flatter roto tom hoop so it matches the rest a bit better. Hope I explained that well enough..

yhst-77290804275958_2183_344710527

sc_4425d1.jpg

Last edited:
Or the Remo drums with the fibreboard shells? Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, like all those drums with the plywood shells? Because plywood is another composite wood product, just like pressed fiberboard (particle and its cousin, oriented strand board).

I have played some of those Remo Acousticon drums and they sound great. I also have a Remo hand drum made of Acousticon. I don't view wood composites like plywood and particleboard to be bad designs.

tard, I completely subscribe to the sonic principals of the radial bridge, & have spoken to Steven Volpp on the design behind the design. Although the aesthetic is not to most tastes, they do sound fantastic!

& yes Dennis, ISS mounts, what mushrooms did the design guys consume ;)

I will never understand the hatin' on the ISS mounts.

I absolutely hate every single bit of marching hardware that's supposed to be for 'students'.

Yeah, like all those drums with the plywood shells? Because plywood is another composite wood product, just like pressed fiberboard (particle and its cousin, oriented strand board).

I have played some of those Remo Acousticon drums and they sound great. I also have a Remo hand drum made of Acousticon. I don't view wood composites like plywood and particleboard to be bad designs.

You and I seem to be the only ones on the same page.

Back