New here, looking for info on what kind of kit to buy.

printgal

Hi, I'm going to be buying my son a drum kit for Christmas. He's taking lessons now and doing really well but doesn't have anything to practice on at home.

I want to get a good kit, but nothing super expensive since he's only going to be using it for practice now, he's only 8. What would you guys recommend?

The named brands are always preferable. The entry level kits from, say, Tama, Pearl, Mapex and Yamaha, are much, much better investment than the nameless entry level kits dotted around. There would be little difference in price, but all the difference in quality.

From experience, my first kit was a second hand Pearl Export. It was a lovely kit and lasted years, and that's an entry level kit at the right price.

Hi, I'm going to be buying my son a drum kit for Christmas. He's taking lessons now and doing really well but doesn't have anything to practice on at home.

I want to get a good kit, but nothing super expensive since he's only going to be using it for practice now, he's only 8. What would you guys recommend?

I have 3 questions...how long has he been playing? How well is he honestly doing?(ask his treacher for an opinion of his talent/skill level) and most importantly...how much do you realisticly want to spend?Good to you may mean something totally different to me,its all relative

Remember drums can be a very tedious instrument to begin playing..

Steve B

Buy a used kit with these sizes 16x20 bass drum/ 10" or 12" or both togther and a 14x14 floor tom with legs. the one or two toms up front are choices you both need to make. Your better of buying a decent to good used set that will hold some value then a kiddy kit thats trash. Your drum teacher should be able to direct you best knowing your boy and his needs. Show him my suggestions as to sizes and see if he agrees. Doc

Honestly, for an 8-year-old, just hunt through Craigslist for whatever kid-type drum set you can find. Worry about finding a more quality set when he's older and closer to adult sized.

I'd go used Yamaha Stage Custom, if your intent is to hopefully keep them awhile and let him grow into the set. It might be a bit big in the beginning but why spend even a couple hundred on junk? Good luck.

Mighty_Joker, Thanks! I saw those brands come up alot when I was going through google but I wasn't really sure if they were good or not. I completely skipped over all First Act or whatever sets because I think they're probably junky and I don't want to waste my money on them.

Doc, I'll print those sizes out and ask his teacher at his lesson tomorrow. I'm totally fine with a good used set and we can replace the heads if we need to.

Steve B, he's been playing several months now. His teacher says he's doing very well, he is doing much more than he expected him to be able to do at this point. I'd like to keep it around $500-600 if possible. I want something that's going to last and not fall apart in a couple of months.

larryz, Thanks for that model. I will look into that one as well.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

Printgal, unless you have money to burn, see what you can find used. If you're anywhere near a Craigslist hub, you should be able to find something perfectly usable for around $250-500. The brand isn't real important. You can't go too far wrong within that price range with anything that is complete and that looks lightly used- you can resell them for close to what you paid for them when it's time to upgrade, or if he decides it's not for him. I've posted some shopping/buying advice here and here which you may find helpful.

I just bought my 5 year old "nephew" a First Act type kit. $150 new.​
For an 8 year old, I'd get a slightly better quality kit, like the Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Very popular, find 'em used ... you'll be able to probably slip into a "whole kit, slightly used" well within your budget. All the major brands have these "smaller" kits now, so quality is good, whether you go Tama, Yamaha, Gretsch, Sonor, etc. Bop sized kits are all the rage,​
Buy used, so if the boy does throw in the towel, you can sell the kit, and get almost all your money back. If, on the other hand, if he sticks with it, he'll never "really" grow out of a bop sized kit. If my first drum set was the quality of a Sonor Safari kit, I'd probably still have it (44 years later).​

As others said, an entry level kit from a major company is the best idea, especially used, because it will last, work for him, and wont break the bank.
If he sticks with drums, he'll want cymbals and heads and all the fun accessories, so you'll probably be spending extra in the future anyway. Trust me, my parents got me a Rockwood set when I was 11 (it's an off-brand set, and I don't recommend it), and now that I'm 16 and looking for a job so I can buy a better kit, but I've got great cymbals. I wish we had to foresight to buy me a pro level kit... (don't buy him a pro level kit.)

Consider a small 4 piece bop kit (e.g. 18, 12, 14, and 14). Smaller sizes and fewer drums makes it easier to manouever. One crash and one ride cymbal along with hi hats. Look for a used kit.

Your son will be very happy this Christmas!

GJS

Personally for an 8 year old I'd get an Electronic kit like a Yamaha DT express 2 or Explorer as he's not going to be out gigging for a little while, can practice everything and play along to music without deafening the household and neighbours and can use headphones as well. I actually used one to gig for 3 years through a PA system and I'd also look at 2nd hand.

If you do decide to go acoustic though I'd go 2nd hand as you can get a whole kit with Cymbals and Hi Hats relatively cheaply and if he gives up you'll pretty much get your money back and would look at Mapex or Yamaha Stage Custom which are excellent.

I just bought my 5 year old "nephew" a First Act type kit. $150 new.​
For an 8 year old, I'd get a slightly better quality kit, like the Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Very popular, find 'em used ... you'll be able to probably slip into a "whole kit, slightly used" well within your budget. All the major brands have these "smaller" kits now, so quality is good, whether you go Tama, Yamaha, Gretsch, Sonor, etc. Bop sized kits are all the rage,​
Buy used, so if the boy does throw in the towel, you can sell the kit, and get almost all your money back. If, on the other hand, if he sticks with it, he'll never "really" grow out of a bop sized kit. If my first drum set was the quality of a Sonor Safari kit, I'd probably still have it (44 years later).​

yeah, printgal, go with the gretsch catalina club jazz (18''dia.x14''depth bass drum, 12''x8'' tom tom, 14x14 floor tom, 14x5.5 snare drum). I've had mine for six years and it has lasted, and they have some serious traveling experience. aside than drum head changes, i can count on one hand the times i had to do minor repair or replacements...nothing major. i am 6'2'' and the kit houses me just fine, as it would a young boy (so he'll never outgrow it, despite it being a small club/jazz kit. very versitile drums, too, they will keep up with his changes in musical taste). i have a professional drumming seat (throne) and cymbal stands, which are designed for adult stature, so get stands and a throne that are lighter and smaller. a used catalina club jazz will do nicely.

Mighty_Joker, Thanks! I saw those brands come up alot when I was going through google but I wasn't really sure if they were good or not. I completely skipped over all First Act or whatever sets because I think they're probably junky and I don't want to waste my money on them.

Doc, I'll print those sizes out and ask his teacher at his lesson tomorrow. I'm totally fine with a good used set and we can replace the heads if we need to.

Steve B, he's been playing several months now. His teacher says he's doing very well, he is doing much more than he expected him to be able to do at this point. I'd like to keep it around $500-600 if possible. I want something that's going to last and not fall apart in a couple of months.

larryz, Thanks for that model. I will look into that one as well.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

The Gretsch Catalina series are really good drums,and are used even by some pro drummers in live and studio settings.Buying used is also the way to go.You will nearly double you buying power.

You can do well with the buget you have.Now the hard part starts.You have to start looking at Craigs list,Ebay,and guitar center has an area of their website that lists all of their used drums,nation wide and there are some bargains to be had.

If you need any further help,don't be afraid to ask

If you want acoustic drums, I'd say you better get a Sonor Safari or Gretsch Catalina Jazz.
Electronic drums are okay, but they aren't really that fun to play. You can get some cool effects, but more... nah. Hitting 'em is as fun as hitting cans and pillows. But! Since it's the first - it's better than nothing. And as a parent I'd like to have it quiet sometimes.

I'm not even allowed to get drunk. What am I talking about?

Back