Tension Rods Keep Coming Loose On Snare...

sjczildjian

I play only rim shots on my snare, I do hit pretty damn hard... Best sound out of the snare...

However, the tensions rods around where I hit, even reso side loosen off and just drop out.

I was wondering if anyone else have this problem, and how they get around it.

I was thinking maybe some sort of thread lock would work, such as loc-tite.

Thanks in advance.

Yup, if you're rimshotting a lot, those rods are gonna loosen like crazy.

I think I read that lug-locks help with that... Guys?

If you play hard, I'd get some Tight Screws.
They work great. Never back out a bit.
A little stiff the first time, but they work great, & are easier to turn after a couple head changes.
I've used them for a few years now, and they still hold just as well as when I put them in.

All my Saturn lugs have a small black nylon insert in side that the tension screws thread through after threading through the lugs. This seems to act like a nylock nut to keep them tight.

A little stiff the first time, but they work great, & are easier to turn after a couple head changes.
I've used them for a few years now, and they still hold just as well as when I put them in.
I second this, although they do relax over time. Like everything, they need replacing after a while, but I get many practices & gigs out of mine. Extra good point, they don't alter the appearance of the drum.

Lug Locks didn't work at all for me, they just spun with rods. Tightscrews are fantastic though, I really beat my snare on the rim, and they do not back out at all.

Bermuda

+1 for these, I have them on all the kit, and both snares, for several years
You are neverless losing out on the dynamics if you're only using rimshots. It's a question of style, of course, and to each his/her own, but if you fire all your bullets off at once, there's none left. A crescendo only has impact if preceded by, and followed by, a calmer spell. That doesn't mean not playing rock, but dynamics, imho, are an integral part of any instrument, snare included.
Just my tuppence worth; hope this helps...

Back