Attention Remo Coated Head Users.

Kg_lee

If you are having issues with Remo's coating wearing off quickly contact Remo 1-800-525-5134 to have your heads replaced. Remo stand's behind their products 100%!

Remo has changed their coating to something that is environmentally friendly but it is nothing like the old coating that took a beating.

The new coating last about 20 minutes of play time on a snare head. The old coating would take weeks of months to break through.

New Remo coated heads...I don't know what they did, they sound so choked. I started steel wooling some of the coating, and in the middle I removed it entirely, exposing the film underneath. Older Remos had clear film underneath, the one I messed with last week had white-ish, translucent-ish film. I do NOT like the sound of new Remo coateds. I swear those new Remo heads cut the sustain of the note down to 1/3 of what it used to be. Just bad.

They totally killed the tone of my one snare drum. I had to remove the new head and put an old one on there. Then it came back alive.

G2's for me from now on.

I never had problems with Remo's coating wearing prematurely. I will tell you that the new coating on Remo heads takes about 4x as much elbow grease to remove (with steel wool) than the coating that Evans applies. Maybe that's why the Remos sound so lifeless.

If you are having issues with Remo's coating wearing off quickly contact Remo 1-800-525-5134 to have your heads replaced. Remo stand's behind their products 100%!

Remo has changed their coating to something that is environmentally friendly but it is nothing like the old coating that took a beating.

The new coating last about 20 minutes of play time on a snare head. The old coating would take weeks of months to break through.

I don't know why but what you wrote sounds confusing to me? Maybe it's the way you worded it?

Thanks for the weekly Remo coating update. (Or is it daily, now)

I keep buying them just to see what you guys are talking about, but so far I still haven't had an issue.

(Really I keep buying them because I like the sound better, in case the keyboard didn't convey the dripping sarcasm.)

The coating on my Remos wore through in about a day. This was last year.

Evans for me thanks.

I don't know why but what you wrote sounds confusing to me? Maybe it's the way you worded it?

To try to clear that up. I like coated heads. I usually change them when I start to break through the coating. The old coating material they used use to last quite awhile before even showing any kind of wear.

Now the coating material they switched to now is not durable at all. I can put a new head on my snare drum and play through the coating in about 20 minutes.

To me this isn't a worthy product unless you have tons of money to replace your heads all the time. I'm letting others know Remo will replace your heads if your not satisfied with the performance of the head.

I too have bought Remo coated with no problem, in fact I switched over from Evans a year or so ago just to check Remo out. No issues with coating. To the fella who said they sound dead, did you crack the seal enough while seating the head? Just curious,as one does not have to do that with Evans heads.

I swear those new Remo heads cut the sustain of the note down to 1/3 of what it used to be. Just bad.

They totally killed the tone of my one snare drum. I had to remove the new head and put an old one on there. Then it came back alive.

Same here Larry! I bought an Amb for my snare two months ago and it completley dried my snare out (Premier Artist Brass 14"x6.5"), I got fed up with it last week and put on an old Fiberskyn Amb and it sounded better and had more tone/sustain/life than the regular Amb did. This has actually happened with the last two coated Ambassadors I've used so I don't think the first instance was just a "bad head".

I can't say however that I've had the same sustain problems with the coated Emps on my toms, they're still singing like the day they were put on. And nor can I say I've ever had issues with coating coming off...I genuinley don't know or get what people are doing to their drums to make this happen after a day, or even an hour of use, I still have old heads as back-ups from years back and they never wore through or chipped or anything. I'm mystified personally.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Same here Larry! I bought an Amb for my snare two months ago and it completley dried my snare out (Premier Artist Brass 14"x6.5"), I got fed up with it last week and put on an old Fiberskyn Amb and it sounded better and had more tone/sustain/life than the regular Amb did. This has actually happened with the last two coated Ambassadors I've used so I don't think the first instance was just a "bad head".

I can't say however that I've had the same sustain problems with the coated Emps on my toms, they're still singing like the day they were put on. And nor can I say I've ever had issues with coating coming off...I genuinley don't know or get what people are doing to their drums to make this happen after a day, or even an hour of use, I still have old heads as back-ups from years back and they never wore through or chipped or anything. I'm mystified personally.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

I too have "old" Remo heads that out perform anything I bought from Remo in the last year. I giving Evans a try and so far they are holding up.

I use to change heads about every 3 months and now it's every month for the toms and weekly for my snare.

Hmm. I have yet to experience this with any Remo head, especially the vintage emperors I just put on three weeks ago. I hope I don't. I still contend that when I tried coated Evans G2's, they sounded great, the coating looked new for a long time, but when they start to go dead, they just die.

I too have "old" Remo heads that out perform anything I bought from Remo in the last year. I giving Evans a try and so far they are holding up.

I use to change heads about every 3 months and now it's every month for the toms and weekly for my snare.

Ouch! That's gotta hurt the wallet. Maybe we haven't noticed anything here in the U.K. because the stock that the shops have here is from old batches, perhaps. There was a similar thing happening with sticks before Evans took over Promark, in that state-side there seemed to be a lot of quality issues and a diving reputation for the company, yet over here they were fine.

I guess the other variables that have to be considered are: technique, the sticks you're using and the angle of the drums. It might not be any of these, who knows? But if you wanted to eliminate all the possibilities then maybe look into them.

Hope the Evans' work out for you mate!

Kev

When did Remo change the coating?
I haven't bought a head for a few months. This last set of Coated Ambs. were fine.
The 4 snare heads I got in a couple months ago were fine as always too (BE-0114-22 Top Dot coated Emp.).

I've seen ads in the drum mags that Aquarian has changed their film recently.
It's supposed to be more lively and resonant or something (can't remember the exact wording of the ad).

I haven't seen any of the "new" product from Aquarian yet. I liked their heads before the last change, which was 10 years ago or something now.

Ouch! That's gotta hurt the wallet. Maybe we haven't noticed anything here in the U.K. because the stock that the shops have here is from old batches, perhaps. There was a similar thing happening with sticks before Evans took over Promark, in that state-side there seemed to be a lot of quality issues and a diving reputation for the company, yet over here they were fine.

I guess the other variables that have to be considered are: technique, the sticks you're using and the angle of the drums. It might not be any of these, who knows? But if you wanted to eliminate all the possibilities then maybe look into them.

Hope the Evans' work out for you mate!

Kev

It does hurt the wallet that's why I've been complaining. I have friends experiencing the same problem. It's not a technique or stick issue. I've been playing for 34 years and never had these short lived head issues. Remo refers to them as a bad batch.. so why is it happening to every head I buy. I'm on the verge of just using clears and dealing with the sound if Remo can't get a grip on their product.

It does hurt the wallet that's why I've been complaining. I have friends experiencing the same problem. It's not a technique or stick issue. I've been playing for 34 years and never had these short lived head issues. Remo refers to them as a bad batch.. so why is it happening to every head I buy. I'm on the verge of just using clears and dealing with the sound if Remo can't get a grip on their product.

I'm glad to hear they are standing behind their product, at least. That's exactly what I would have expected. I honestly have not had a single problem with the coatings, and I hit hard and play a lot, and buy a lot of heads.

Sorry to be so sarcastic earlier. I just keep reading these threads, and it doesn't fit my experiences at all. I'm one of these guys that has to see to believe, so forgive me for the sharp tongue.

Right, but in the ads, they say they changed the film they use in making the heads, not just a new model.

I've heard the "new" heads, and they still aren't as lively as a Remo. If a person likes a muted tone, they'd be good.

If they've changed, I must not have bought a new one yet. Because I haven't noticed a loss of tone or premature wear on any of mine.

I don't know, my remos took at least a week of hard, strong beating before I noticed any coating coming off at all...

An old emperor I bought took 8 months, on a snare, for the clear head to even be slightly exposed.

If they've changed, I must not have bought a new one yet. Because I haven't noticed a loss of tone or premature wear on any of mine.

I have been hearing about this purported coating change (due to environmental regs, apparently) for years, now. I know I've gotten the new heads, and still no probs. How do I know? Well, I heard about the changeover before Remo came out with the Vintage Emperors, and I've been using those for quite a while now...

Back