Everybody Wants to Rule the World

kettles

Gold Member
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rules the World

Looking for suggestions on how to play this song properly, and it's for a rock covers band. Is it necessary to recreate the shaker/percussion track to make it sound complete? What I mean is the softer cabasa/shaker sound that alternates with the hi hat. Here are a few ways I have come up with and would like to know what you guys think.

I also can't tell what the exact placement of the kick is, mainly if it needs to be played on the 2+4 as well. The first one I was shown by a more experienced covers guy yesterday and it works well. Sorry I realise a lot of guys don't like tabs but it was the quickest and easiest way to post it up.

|-X-X-X-X-X-X| (Left hand)
|---O-----O--| (Right hand)
|O-O--OO-O---|
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

|-x-x-x-x-x-x| (Left Hand)
|g-gOg-g-gOg-| (Right hand, with ghost notes emulating
|O-O--OO-O---| the percussion track)
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

|rLrLrLrLrLrL
|xXxXxXxXxXxX| (All rights, OR alternating singles,
|---O-----O--| bringing the right hand down to the
|O-O--OO-O---| snare for the backbeats)
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated!

Yeah, it kinda seems like he is playing the beginning like your first example and the shaker is an overdub. Not sure about the ghost beat one although that looks really cool and I'm gonna try it next time I'm on a set. The third example is how I would play it myself. Personally, I would play the beginning like your first example and ask the singer to shake the shaker until the start of the verse, then you can switch to your third example for the rest of the song. But, that's just my take on it. This beat is actually a swing beat. If you listen to Tush by ZZ Top, it's pretty much the same thing but doing the hi-hats and bass drum a little different. There's so many ways to manipulate that beat. You can even slow it down and turn it into a Delta shuffle if you wanted too. It's a great beat to master and learn how to play it in all sots of different ways. In fact, I learned something today that I've never tried before thanks to your tabs.

My rock band plays this tune and I gave up trying to figure out the best way to simulate the part. I just play all the 8th note triplets on the hi-hats with my right hand and play the backbeats with my left for a 12/8 feel. I play the shuffle bass drum pattern but I leave out 2 and 4.

Is this the most authentic way to play it? Not hardly. But it's the one I feel most comfortable with and I've stuck with it.

Have you tried swishy broken triplets on the hats, 1 let2 let3 let4 etc.. leave out the trip.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rules the World

Looking for suggestions on how to play this song properly, and it's for a rock covers band. Is it necessary to recreate the shaker/percussion track to make it sound complete? What I mean is the softer cabasa/shaker sound that alternates with the hi hat. Here are a few ways I have come up with and would like to know what you guys think.

I also can't tell what the exact placement of the kick is, mainly if it needs to be played on the 2+4 as well. The first one I was shown by a more experienced covers guy yesterday and it works well. Sorry I realise a lot of guys don't like tabs but it was the quickest and easiest way to post it up.

|-X-X-X-X-X-X| (Left hand)
|---O-----O--| (Right hand)
|O-O--OO-O---|
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

|-x-x-x-x-x-x| (Left Hand)
|g-gOg-g-gOg-| (Right hand, with ghost notes emulating
|O-O--OO-O---| the percussion track)
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

|rLrLrLrLrLrL
|xXxXxXxXxXxX| (All rights, OR alternating singles,
|---O-----O--| bringing the right hand down to the
|O-O--OO-O---| snare for the backbeats)
|1+a2+a3+a4+a

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated!

I play it like the third example. Using the shoulder of the left stick on the edge of the hat (along with accenting) does a pretty darn good job of replicating the feel of the original. I've also played it the way 8Mile suggested, and that works too, but I prefer the feel of both sticks on the hat. FWIW.

The song is perfect for developing your freedom and independence. Because it isn't really tricky at all.

On the hats, lead with the left(on 1), (my preference would be on tight hats, with the right coming off only to hit 2 & 4 on the snare...later you can open the hats as you go into the snare for color when needed).

To me the kick drum lays into this so naturally that if you're not getting it right away, keep doing it...slow it down, or whatever you have to do to break it down so that you get it exactly, because if you don't nail it down, you won't get the groove, first of all, but also, it's gonna pay off a million different ways as you go on in music(job security being not the least important).

If you get this groove, and really groove, no one needs no stinking cabasa. If you don't have the groove on the kit, 10 cabasas won't be able to save the song anyway. Have your singer play tambourine or something- that part's just the icing...

Oh yeah, then every time there are two snare hits together(twice in a row), your hands do nothing but move from hi-hat to the snare for those-the sticking and motion never changes-it couldn't be more simple. It's left right on snare-left to the hats-right left on snare- never skip a single hit. Same for the times the snare hits on 3 -it-IS 4--just take the right off the hats to the snare.

Last edited:
You could put a shaker in the sock of your left foot and play the shaker like that.

Great idea! haha. I have actually tried holding the shaker + stick in my left hand while playing the hats but couldn't get it smooth enough.

Not quite sure what the tab means. If you write it out in Musescore, it will be a lot earsier to determine what you are trying to convey.

I think you could easily figure it out Jeff...you are a drum teacher, right?

Yeah, it kinda seems like he is playing the beginning like your first example and the shaker is an overdub. Not sure about the ghost beat one although that looks really cool and I'm gonna try it next time I'm on a set. The third example is how I would play it myself. Personally, I would play the beginning like your first example and ask the singer to shake the shaker until the start of the verse, then you can switch to your third example for the rest of the song. But, that's just my take on it. This beat is actually a swing beat. If you listen to Tush by ZZ Top, it's pretty much the same thing but doing the hi-hats and bass drum a little different. There's so many ways to manipulate that beat. You can even slow it down and turn it into a Delta shuffle if you wanted too. It's a great beat to master and learn how to play it in all sots of different ways. In fact, I learned something today that I've never tried before thanks to your tabs.

Awesome! yeah the ghost notes have to be super quiet, and the ghost-accent-ghost with one hand is a lot of fun once you can nail it. I do the backbeats as rimshots FWIW. Our singer plays guitar as well but even if he didn't, I don't think I could trust him with a shaker!

My rock band plays this tune and I gave up trying to figure out the best way to simulate the part. I just play all the 8th note triplets on the hi-hats with my right hand and play the backbeats with my left for a 12/8 feel. I play the shuffle bass drum pattern but I leave out 2 and 4.

Is this the most authentic way to play it? Not hardly. But it's the one I feel most comfortable with and I've stuck with it.

Fair call. For my situation it's not crucial to play the right part, but I like to find a balance between playing it true to the original, and a way that I can still make it groove.

Have you tried swishy broken triplets on the hats, 1 let2 let3 let4 etc.. leave out the trip.

Yes, but to me that feel is too far from the original.

I play it like the third example. Using the shoulder of the left stick on the edge of the hat (along with accenting) does a pretty darn good job of replicating the feel of the original. I've also played it the way 8Mile suggested, and that works too, but I prefer the feel of both sticks on the hat. FWIW.

Likewise, I'm more relaxed with both hands on the hats

The song is perfect for developing your freedom and independence. Because it isn't really tricky at all.

On the hats, lead with the left(on 1), (my preference would be on tight hats, with the right coming off only to hit 2 & 4 on the snare...later you can open the hats as you go into the snare for color when needed).

To me the kick drum lays into this so naturally that if you're not getting it right away, keep doing it...slow it down, or whatever you have to do to break it down so that you get it exactly, because if you don't nail it down, you won't get the groove, first of all, but also, it's gonna pay off a million different ways as you go on in music(job security being not the least important).

If you get this groove, and really groove, no one needs no stinking cabasa anyway. If you don't have the groove on the kit, 10 cabasaa won't be able to save the song anyway. Have your singer play tambourine or something- that part's just the icing...

Oh yeah, then every time there are two snare hits together, your hands do nothing but move from hi-hat to the snare for those-the sticking and motion never changes-it couldn't be more simple.

Agree, it's a fun song to play and getting the initial groove was a bit of a mindbender at first, the displaced quarter note triplet I mean. Only problem with playing it the way you suggest (if I understand correctly) is that there is no hi-hat accent on 2 + 4, which to me sounds empty.

You're right about the groove - it was a little shaky yesterday after the other drummer showed me his way of playing it, but now that I've taken it home to work on it should come together a lot better at the next practice.

FWIW I found a live video where the drummer plays the hats as in the first example, but with his right hand. I like using my left because it frees up my right to get to the cymbals. I still couldn't quite hear if the kick is playing the 2 + 4 but I think I'll practice both ways and see what the band likes.

If you did the kick on the "is" of every triplet, you'd almost be there. Then add 1 and 3 for the most part.

I never microscoped this to tell ya the truth, but if this kick part and the other part I gave you aren't really close to what he's doin, I sure faked myself out real good!

Great 80s number. Maybe some live clips of TFF will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMjzxHzZnnI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8L_hLS21cw

In each clip there are brief shots of the drummer playing the groove. You can hear four on the floor with the bass drum and the hat played on the triplet upbeats.

For me that would be awkward so, if I was in your shoes, I'd find something that I felt comfortable and solid while retaining the triplet feel.

Playing the hat on the triplet upbeats is simple enough, but without the shaker pattern underneath it the groove feels incomplete to me. I've never had a percussionist in the band with me, so I routinely fake parts like this. :D

gotcha on that pollyanna! my "is" kicks aren't particularly out front- but they give lots of motion to the ocean. i'm gonna look real close tomorrow. gotta go nitenite. peace...

Playing the hat on the triplet upbeats is simple enough

:p smarty pants :)

but without the shaker pattern underneath it the groove feels incomplete to me. I've never had a percussionist in the band with me, so I routinely fake parts like this. :D

Now we're on the same page! I've been routinely faking it since 1975 (no, not in that Harry Met Sally way ... get your mind out of the gutter!) so when I can't copy the drum parts I treat it the cover song like an original.

I think you could easily figure it out Jeff...you are a drum teacher, right?

Yes, I am a teacher, but I don't teach or read tab in my lessons any more than an English teacher teaches texting or email vocabulary such as lol, brb, etc...

Here's an example - cmiiw, but imho it is easier 4 me 2 read musical notation bc it is a standardized notation. bta ic that it is easier to type in tab especially if it is fyeo iykwim. aar ig2r hth b4n eom.

I think you could easily figure it out,...you use a computer right? jk lol Need help translating? Go to http://www.mta-telco.com/pdf/tmvocab.pdf

But seriously - I would also try playing the hi-hat with one hand instead of alternating hands. It may take a bit more time to work up, but it should give a smoother feel.

Jeff

Last edited:
:p smarty pants :)

Now we're on the same page! I've been routinely faking it since 1975 (no, not in that Harry Met Sally way ... get your mind out of the gutter!) so when I can't copy the drum parts I treat it the cover song like an original.

Haha, I know you could play that part in your sleep!

And what makes you think my mind went straight to the gutter? lol

This is pretty much what we're talking about here, yes? The groove of the song is actually provided by the hemiola effect on the accented hi-hat. That's how I'd play it. It's like playing off-beat quarter-note triplets over the four on the floor bass drum and 2 & 4 snare. You can actually get away from playing all the hi-hat notes just so long as you keep that quarter-note triplet pulse going.

Attachments

• World-beat.jpg
    World-beat.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,316
Yes, I am am a teacher, but I don't teach or read tab in my lessons any more than an English teacher teaches texting or email vocabulary such as lol, brb, etc...

But seriously - I would also try playing the hi-hat with one hand instead of alternating hands. It may take a bit more time to work up, but it should give a smoother feel.

Well if you were an English teacher you probably wouldn't have said 'am' twice :)

What I meant by the 'teacher' statement is that you're going to be musically knowledgeable enough to see where the O's and X's line up with the count at the bottom and work it out. It's a fairly simple beat. If it were a 37 bar piece with varying meter and time signatures and orchestration all over the kit, then sure, tab would be silly. I know you can understand it and think you're just being a snob. Tab is just a text version of proper notation and 1550 posts and 5.5 years on a drumming forum tells me you can probably figure out a one bar 3-line tab fairly quickly even if you had never seen tab before ;)

And I will work on the single handed approach, it's my preferred way.

This is pretty much what we're talking about here, yes? The groove of the song is actually provided by the hemiola effect on the accented hi-hat. That's how I'd play it. It's like playing off-beat quarter-note triplets over the four on the floor bass drum and 2 & 4 snare. You can actually get away from playing all the hi-hat notes just so long as you keep that quarter-note triplet pulse going.

Nice artwork! This is actually how I started playing it (two handed), until the other bandmembers asked if I could play the shuffle on the kick as well. I had another listen to the song, and in the instrumental break in the middle (from about 2:00) you can clearly hear the kicks doing the extra notes of the shuffle. The bass guitar is playing a different part so the kick stands out clearly. And I think he is playing the 2 + 4 now that I listen again.

Back