A DW first, surely?

Andy

Honorary Member
Drum Gear (56 Viewing)
Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Your Place (118 Viewing)
Who are you? - Where you live? - Show your Kits - Put up your Music - Show Your Chops!

Drum Gear (56 Viewing)
Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Your Place (118 Viewing)
Who are you? - Where you live? - Show your Kits - Put up your Music - Show Your Chops!

Very short lived. The 'I want to talk about stuff' people are now back on top. But you raise something that has occurred to me several times in the past - why are we (most) so obsessed about gear? Is it because, as compared to skill, gear is so much easier to acquire?

Now where's my credit card?

There is some addiction there, some dreaming, some wishing, hoping also, but yes gear is much more readibly available than talent or skill. Everyone like catalogs, and the My Gear section is just that, a catalog of what we own or desire. Also we like to share and brag so we put our stuff out there. My little Bee Bop set is probably the cheapest thing around but because I worked on it and it is unique I felt like sharing it.

I've also noticed this disparity...

Right now, technique section (9), gear section (118), your place....even higher than gear.

I love the technique section but have to admit I'm a bit of a gear junkie as well.

I have to admit, it's almost a forum joke that I avoid the technique section. It's just that I have so little to offer, but that's my personal inadequacy issue.

I don't know that I have that much to offer either....but there are those who do have lots to offer that post in that section on a regular basis. So I read that section routinely and have gleaned some good knowledge from it.

I'm impressed by some of the pro's who regularly post such as Boomka and others. They are so willing to share their knowledge. That's just one of the reasons Drummerworld is such a great forum.

I don't know that I have that much to offer either....but there are those who do have lots to offer that post in that section on a regular basis. So I read that section routinely and have gleaned some good knowledge from it.

I'm impressed by some of the pro's who regularly post such as Boomka and others. They are so willing to share their knowledge. That's just one of the reasons Drummerworld is such a great forum.

Appreciate the kind words, I'm just trying to pass on what was passed on, you know? Glad if you've found anything worthwhile in my thoughts.

As for this thread, I came in here thinking there had been some agreement on Ringo/Buddy/Copeland or something like that.

Appreciate the kind words, I'm just trying to pass on what was passed on, you know? Glad if you've found anything worthwhile in my thoughts.

As for this thread, I came in here thinking there had been some agreement on Ringo/Buddy/Copeland or something like that.

Glad you are willing to do so Boomka!

As for the Ringo/Buddy/Copeland agreement...mmm....well...probably not, at least in this thread.

I did not realize there were infinite discussions about double bass pedals. They all do the same thing, its up to you to make it work. Apparently gear is more important than learning how to play the gear they got.

Everyone's flooded the forum to check out the "Kiss practising" vid. It took everyone by surprise and had to be seen to be believed. :)

LOL.
Yeah right, that must be it ;-), or could it possibly be the discovery of a DW stave prototype kit in the same general section? Either way, both threads have some things in common, they're both late to the party, & everyone else is way ahead of them!

Perhaps the technique section could use some diversity. Maybe sub-sections about technique for jazz, country, pop, African, Latin, Brazilian, instructional media, etc. Of course the section on Double Bass Technique would get all the interest, even though it is the least widely applicable technique, and metal would get a huge amount of interest, even though more people want to play metal than listen to it.

I think part of the reason for the interest in the gear section is that it's structured to draw out more discussion. Imagine if there was just one big section to cover heads, drums, cymbals, hardware and double pedals.

I for one ,would rather be practicing or playing rather than be on the internet. But I can do no drumming where I'm living. So I hit music stores and this site alot just to be around drums and people talking about drums. I gig 4 times a week usually but...big difference between doing the gig and quality shed time (sigh).

I too, thought you were talking about Drum Workshop! I thought it was ironic that 'Drum Workshop' and 'First' would be mentioned in the same sentence, since that company hasn't really done anything original in their entire history ;)

I too, thought you were talking about Drum Workshop! I thought it was ironic that 'Drum Workshop' and 'First' would be mentioned in the same sentence, since that company hasn't really done anything original in their entire history ;)

X-shells? Super Solid snares (microwaving the wood)? These are two completely original ideas that came to the top of my head. I guess that means I'm a sucker for their marketing.

I think the real question is: Have they done anything, original or not, that has made a better-sounding drum?

X-shells? Super Solid snares (microwaving the wood)? These are two completely original ideas that came to the top of my head. I guess that means I'm a sucker for their marketing.

I think the real question is: Have they done anything, original or not, that has made a better-sounding drum?

Absolutely nothing at all. If you notice, their drums still sound like drums. And, their drums do not suddenly make you a better player. It's ok to be sucked in by their marketing, I'm not saying what they do isn't great and can't stand up to anything being made already, but until they make something that completely changes the current sound of the drumset, or change the way we all play...... ;)

Back