What is the most hilarious question someone has asked you about drums/drumming?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I while ago in High School I was playing at a small school and a kindergartener asked this question when my instructor asked if the kids had any questions:

"Is the drum set blue?"

It was.

More cute, than hilarious, but it was a laugh.

Ha!

My marimba band does assemblies for elementary/middle schools. At one point during the performance, one of the band members describes how everything in Africa is decorated, and that we decorated our marimbas to look like animals (horns on one side, tail on the other, stripes along the frame...). She asks, "What kind of animal do the marimbas look like?", expecting the usual responses of zebra, deer, gazelle, etc. At one school, we got several responses in a row: "A SPIDER!" and then, "A SNAKE!", and then "AN EAGLE!" We were dying laughing. Cute, but still hilarious...

Some that come up surprisingly often involve factory tuned strings, the worlds best guitar player/drummer, the point of counting or reading, being born with it and so on......................

"What kind of animal do the marimbas look like?",... "A SNAKE!"

That's a good answer! http://www.flickr.com/photos/22040286@N08/2122935500/

Not a question but I am often surprised at how people think you need to coordinate all four limbs to play drums, including musicians. Yes, advanced drummers do but most drumming involves hanging all the other notes notes the right hand part (often 8th notes) - like washing hangs off a line.

"Why don't you have a double kick drum?"

From the lead singer and music director of our church band:
"In the bridge, can you hit more of the tongs?"
I just grinned and said, "Sure".

I think, if I remember correctly, someone once asked me in relation to playing an electronic kit,

'Do you find it harder hitting the pads?'

I guess I can see where this guy was coming from... but still...

That's a good answer! http://www.flickr.com/photos/22040286@N08/2122935500/

Not a question but I am often surprised at how people think you need to coordinate all four limbs to play drums, including musicians. Yes, advanced drummers do but most drumming involves hanging all the other notes notes the right hand part (often 8th notes) - like washing hangs off a line.

hanging all the other notes notes the right hand part (often 8th notes) - like washing hangs off a line.

???

A kid at a party read my zildjian shirt and said, "Zil dig jan...is that a jewish thing or something?"
that made me laugh

I was once told by a guitar player of another band that "his" drummer could play a para-diddle with one hand faster than I could play it with two.......

Later in our set he asked to set in on the drums for a song, I gladly let him make a fool of himself even further.

hanging all the other notes notes the right hand part (often 8th notes) - like washing hangs off a line.

???

Sorry about incoherence I am. On Yoda Disease I blame it.

Just saying was I that, while 8th notes on the hats I play, add accents along that 8th note line I do. True independence it is not. Clear it is? :)

If 'tongs' are 'toms' then cymbals must be 'tings'

Well you have done, young Skywalker. Mistaken toms for tongs he did ... or she did ... or something did ...

Open mic night and this chick is trying to sing Black Velvet.

She stops in the middle of the song, turns to me and asks, "Can you play it slower but at the same speed?"

I said sure. Played it the same way again. She looked back several times during the song to give me the thumbs up.

Hilarious

Back