Worst bass drum sound ever?

\o/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcsM9eiZHaM&feature=related

I just listened to this. I actually quite like the melodic parts of the song (blast beats do NOTHING for me) but i'm struggling to think of a worse-sounding triggered bass drum sound than this. It's got my vote for contender for worst ever. Sounds like someone's hitting a wet plastic bag with a spoon.

Anyone find anything that they think is worse?

I'm pretty young i guess but i much prefer the more old school booming drum sound that some of the 70's prog rock bands had.

I disagree. Bass drum sounds may vary as much as do snares. What's the 'correct' snare sound? Ask 10 drummers and you'll get 10 answers.

I think the bass drum sound is far from sounding bad - maybe a bit untypical, but what's 'typical' then? Yes, you already guessed it - you have your own opinion, that's fine. Some may disagree. Don't forget that depending on the material played, a non-boomy staccato bass drum sound will be very effective in certain musical situations. Well, there were no bands like DIVINE HERESY in the 70's, were they? It's a logical and organic evolution. Imagine having brutal and extremely fast music in the 70's - they would have been forced to come with a sonic solution to not having boomy bass drums to make the music work. 70's - boomy, that's ok - today's aggressive/extreme music with 'adjusted' bass drum sounds - in my book that's ok, too.

You're really fast in judging a sound to be the worst ever. I'd be more careful.

I disagree. Bass drum sounds may vary as much as do snares. What's the 'correct' snare sound? Ask 10 drummers and you'll get 10 answers.

I think the bass drum sound is far from sounding bad - maybe a bit untypical, but what's 'typical' then? Yes, you already guessed it - you have your own opinion, that's fine. Some may disagree. Don't forget that depending on the material played, a non-boomy staccato bass drum sound will be very effective in certain musical situations. Well, there were no bands like DIVINE HERESY in the 70's, were they? It's a logical and organic evolution. Imagine having brutal and extremely fast music in the 70's - they would have been forced to come with a sonic solution to not having boomy bass drums to make the music work. 70's - boomy, that's ok - today's aggressive/extreme music with 'adjusted' bass drum sounds - in my book that's ok, too.

You're really fast in judging a sound to be the worst ever. I'd be more careful.
Uhm....i didn't realise i had to specifically point out the fact that my opinion was in fact just that. I thought it would have been obvious, and you must have missed the question mark in the title of the thread. And in my opinion it is the worst ever, i listen to enough music to prevent me being fast in my judgement. Put this up to get some discussion going. Maybe i'll just word it 'what drum sound do you dislike' next time. Thought this could have been the otherside of the 'favourite drum sound' threads. Nevermind, i guess i 'fail'.

Dunno, guess i like my bass to sound like a bass drum rather than a lump of plastic. Also take into account that you know nothing about the types of music i listen to. Carcass, Death, Decapitated, Slayer and Edge of Sanity feature some of my favourite ever drum sounds, some of which are triggered also.

The plastic click sound is the most overly used, horrific attempt at a bass drum sound ever. I understand having attack to cut and not having as much low end or boom at those high speeds because it would get muddy, and quickly... but it's just disgusting how a bass drum has been reduced to TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK in many cases.

But, I must say... otherwise I find Vader to be great and Litany to be a great album, but without being able to EQ out most of the low end (for similar reasons as mentioned above), this is the only time a poor drum sound, organic or triggered, has ever made me not listen to an album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFXeTfWnUk

The plastic click sound is the most overly used, horrific attempt at a bass drum sound ever. I understand having attack to cut and not having as much low end or boom at those high speeds because it would get muddy, and quickly... but it's just disgusting how a bass drum has been reduced to TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK in many cases.

But, I must say... otherwise I find Vader to be great and Litany to be a great album, but without being able to EQ out most of the low end (for similar reasons as mentioned above), this is the only time a poor drum sound, organic or triggered, has ever made me not listen to an album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFXeTfWnUk
It's just the plasticness that i can't deal with. I think if you're going to trigger your kick drum you should try and make it sound as bass-drum-like as possible.

Uhm....i didn't realise i had to specifically point out the fact that my opinion was in fact just that. I thought it would have been obvious, and you must have missed the question mark in the title of the thread. And in my opinion it is the worst ever, i listen to enough music to prevent me being fast in my judgement. Put this up to get some discussion going. Maybe i'll just word it 'what drum sound do you dislike' next time. Thought this could have been the otherside of the 'favourite drum sound' threads. Nevermind, i guess i 'fail'. (...)

Do you think a question mark is a significant change in this situation? No, because you came up with even creating this question so you imagined it could be the worst sound ever. Wow, your musical scope must be enormous. I would never talk of 'ever' because if it's referring to sounds which are received highly subjective, there is simply no 'best' or 'worst' whatever 'ever', you see?

Maybe you simply don't create unnecessary threads like this. Or keep your opinion for yourself from time to time. IMO.

Do you think a question mark is a significant change in this situation? No, because you came up with even creating this question so you imagined it could be the worst sound ever. Wow, your musical scope must be enormous. I would never talk of 'ever' because if it's referring to sounds which are received highly subjective, there is simply no 'best' or 'worst' whatever 'ever', you see?

Maybe you simply don't create unnecessary threads like this. Or keep your opinion for yourself from time to time. IMO.

I could make an equally long set of wall of texts in response to you, but it would all boil down to this little statement anyways:

Take a chill pill, bro.

I am being subjective. You notice how i didn't say 'nobody can find a worse sound than this'? It is my opinion that it is the worst i've ever heard.

And i probably listen to 10x more music than you do, so there's no point trying to ridicule me.

Arguing semantics is also a waste of time, so if the only thing you're going to do is comment picking holes in every detail of my post and even concentrating on my selection of word usage, then don't bother commenting in this 'unnecessary' thread. Which is also as 'unnecessary' as the 'favourite' threads if that's how you see it.

And i hope i never see you use the word 'ever' in relation to anything subjective again, because i will call you up on it.

I am being subjective. You notice how i didn't say 'nobody can find a worse sound than this'. It is my opinion that it is the worst i've ever heard.

And i probably listen to 10x more music than you do, so there's no point trying to ridicule me.

Arguing semantics is also a waste of time, so if the only thing you're going to do is comment picking holes in every detail of my post and even concentrating on my selection of word usage, then don't bother commenting in this 'unnecessary' thread. Which is also as 'unnecessary' as the 'favourite' threads if that's how you see it.

And i hope i never see you use the word 'ever' in relation to anything subjective again, because i will call you up on it.

...Whoa, same goes for you too, man!

...Whoa, same goes for you too, man!
In what respect?

I simply put up a video and said i think the bass sound is awful, what other sounds do people find awful.

Yet i get someone jumping all over me telling me i can't possibly think that because it's subjective.

And now i'm in the wrong? God this forum is populated by monkeys.

Not into that music but DAMN, that dude has some serious chops on all 4 limbs!

I would think when you play those kicks at that speed boomy open sounding bass drums might get lost or muddy sounding? So for that song and how he plays his bass drums I think the kicks sound great, just my opinion ;-)

I probably listen to ten times more music than anyone, ever. I have no way to prove this but it demonstrates that I know more than all of you!

I invite you to find a forum whose users like to be described in those terms, \o/. Unlike much of the internet we aspire to have friendly debates rather than ad hominem mud-slinging matches. You have recently demonstrated more aptitude for the latter than the former.

Because everything i say gets instantly slapped down by pedantic, semantic-arguing arseholes. See above. My musical scope is attacked, which i respond to by saying i listen to an awful lot of music. That's then ridiculed by someone else.

Funny.

Having spent quite a while around here I can tell you that generally we all get along harmoniously. Every so often, probably once every few months, one user will emerge who takes umbrage at almost everything people say to them, interpreting casual comments as personal attacks on some aspect of their personality or musical preferences or whatever. You have fallen startlingly into this familiar pattern. What exactly is the problem here?

What just happened is that you expressed a strong opinion and someone disagreed with you. If you'd prefer nobody to disagree with you, perhaps a public forum is not an appropriate place to air your opinions! There is always a danger that not everybody will feel the same way as you...

Having spent quite a while around here I can tell you that generally we all get along harmoniously. Every so often, probably once every few months, one user will emerge who takes umbrage at almost everything people say to them, interpreting casual comments as personal attacks on some aspect of their personality or musical preferences or whatever. You have fallen startlingly into this familiar pattern. What exactly is the problem here?

What just happened is that you expressed a strong opinion and someone disagreed with you. If you'd prefer nobody to disagree with you, perhaps a public forum is not an appropriate place to air your opinions! There is always a danger that not everybody will feel the same way as you...
There's a difference between disagreeing and then telling me i can't have an opinion on it. I simply tried to get opinions on the bass drum sound, and i have someone having a go at my choice of words and that i'm too quick to form an opinion etc. I'm obviously in the wrong though, because i'm new here. I'll make sure i get some more forum points before i post again.

There's a difference between disagreeing and then telling me i can't have an opinion on it. I simply tried to get opinions on the bass drum sound, and i have someone having a go at my choice of words and that i'm too quick to form an opinion etc. I'm obviously in the wrong though, because i'm new here. I'll make sure i get some more forum points before i post again.

you asked for an opinion and you got one. also where exactly is someone saying you can't have an opinion?

There's 60 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

The bass sounded pretty much like all the other drums. Kind of like a plastic toy machine. gun.

And, this is 2011. Do guys still swing their hair around? Sheesh, find a new gimmick. It was only cool the first time I saw it a couple decades ago.

It's threads like these that make me wonder why I joined this forum......

Everybody is just so mean to one another. There's seems to be little respect. So let me give everyone an example of playing "nice."

@OP-I think that the bass drum sounds alright. Robotic, and it sounds like a sample, but it's alright. It seems to fit with that style of music. I'm like you though because I prefer the bigger sounding kicks.

-Kyle

Seriously guys, we are all people with our own opinions and arguing about word choice and who's opinion is right is not going to get us anywhere.

Back