Book for Beginner Students

Charybdia

Heya fellas and gals and other critters

What book would be good to recommend a beginner student to purchase/learn out of? I would think something which has some snare/bass sight-reading exercises and simple variations/beats and musical theory related stuff would be good but having never learnt out of a book like that what would you recommend?

Oh and by the way this would be for the students I teach, not myself. I don't believe in that one should teach everything (especially drums!) out of a book but I certainly think books are great as a teaching/learning aid and as something for a student to follow through/supplement their own learning with

I'm a new drum student (6 months in) and my teacher has started me with Syncopation and then we moved onto The Breakbeat Bible. I've enjoyed using both and they have kept me interested for the most part.

Hope that helps.

Gary Chester - New Breed & New Breed II

Ow, really? Those are very advanced books.

I would start them with any beginning snare drum book- I like Roy Burns' Elementary Drum Method, and maybe a basic rock book. Joel Rothman's Mini-Monster book is good, or Rod Morgenstein's Drumset Musician. Normally Syncopation would be a good to start with, but not if you don't know how to use it.

I don't think I'd use syncopation for a beginner, good book though. I'll check out the other ones but. Any other suggestions?

Funky Primer for the rock drummer.

I heard good words about "Drumopedia (Hand Book for Beginning Drumset)" from Dan Britt.

Easy to teach beginner with and Kids love those little exercise...

Quote from an Illinois teacher

‎"I had a student today working on chapters 6 and 7, and he's made more headway in a month than he has in the past six months. I coundn't find anything that could click with him, but this book has opened him up completely. AWESOME!!!!!" - Jeff Fite, Illinois, Drum Teacher Veteran

Heya fellas and gals and other critters

What book would be good to recommend a beginner student to purchase/learn out of? I would think something which has some snare/bass sight-reading exercises and simple variations/beats and musical theory related stuff would be good but having never learnt out of a book like that what would you recommend?

Oh and by the way this would be for the students I teach, not myself. I don't believe in that one should teach everything (especially drums!) out of a book but I certainly think books are great as a teaching/learning aid and as something for a student to follow through/supplement their own learning with

When I was a kid my teacher started me on the Elementary Drum Method - a series of books by Roy Burns. I thought it was a very good basics book that wasn't too hard or too easy. But then we hit the Buddy Rich Snare Drum Rudiments book and then Podemski's snare drum method (increasingly harder with differing notation, so I wouldn't recommend that one). But the Roy Burns books I thought were great because it was written in simple enough English that the student could literally go on his own as well.

Basic Drumming by Joel Rothman.

Its a pretty thick red book. I think every teacher should have a copy of this one.

Back