David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

Agree with you on everyting but this...to the average joe (non-drummer), Dennis's solo was probably more than enough to impress...it's just us drummers that knew he had more in him and wanted more!...:)

you may well be right there :)
never been a massive dennis chambers fan either so might be slightly biased!
although that said he doesn't exactly look the most excited and it barely even looks taxing to him so although what he is playing is great he makes it look "too easy" maybe?

god knows!
its all subjective just voicing how i felt, as you say sometimes it can be a hinderance to be well informed on the subject (i.e. be a drummer rather than a non drummer)

Not if you're counting from the end of the band entrance.

I'm not sure what you mean to be honest.

But just to get sure, and out of interest in Gavin's playing, I counted the whole piece through
again while listening, and it really works perfectly from A to Z, I had no problems.

The head is 12 bars obviously. Every of the 4 solo break spots then is 16 bars though!
That includes the horns at the end of every chorus.

Maybe I'm transcribing it someday, because I'd like to try to play it! But then Terry B.
will probably be quicker than me anyway, haha!

Cues or no cues in the headphones - since the solo form consist of comfortable 16 bars, and
considering Gavin's exceptional mastery of rhythmic manipulation without losing pulse and context
of course, I'd bet my own skills that he's perfectly able to hold that form without click or cues.

Funny to me that no one would be interested to see Ed Shaunessy do a Letterman drum solo. After all he can still seriously play, knows exactly what to do with a TV drum solo and would most certainly not require a click to do something he did with Carson's Tonight Show 1000 times. I think at least in this regard while playing this particular genre of drum music ...he would show quite a few guys how it's done.

Funny to me that no one would be interested to see Ed Shaunessy do a Letterman drum solo. After all he can still seriously play, knows exactly what to do with a TV drum solo and would most certainly not require a click to do something he did with Carson's Tonight Show 1000 times. I think at least in this regard while playing this particular genre of drum music ...he would show quite a few guys how it's done.

That's a very good point. If he can still do it then why not? That's a really great idea actually.

It's interesting reading the different opinions on here of who they thought put on the best performance. I get bored pretty quick listening to drum solos unless they still carry a lot of groove. because of that, I rated GH 1, DC 2, SC 3, and then TRj 4. DC was definatley taking it a bit easy for most of it, but I think he wanted try keep it as groovy as possible. I reckon if it came to a chops fest contest, it would be hard to seperate DC and TRj.

Well at least I am seeing some drummers that I have never seen before. :)

If u watch his interview on his drummerworld page, he mentions how he got the idea from subbing in a band where the drummer had a click with cues on it to help with song forms. So in porcupine tree he uses two tracks, one being click, and one being himself talking/counting/cueing so that he doesn't have to count bars during long solo parts and such. I'm sure that's what he did on letterman. Sorry Gavin, u already divulged that secret :)

Thanks Matty, that makes sense. It's still like magic to me how he plays what he does

Agree that Dave Dicenso would go down well for sure.

Back