Joe Morris New Band

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hey everyone its been a while since I was on drummerworld. Sorry been busy LOL

Well touring with Esteban has slowed down but my studio work is banging busy. So I have done the unthinkable in the last few months. I put my own band together using my studio musicians. Ted Belledin is on Sax and Keys, Mike Ozuna on guitar and Rob Wagener on Bass. Our first video is on my youtube page. It plays when the page opens. The title is St. Augustine in Hell" I will have many more vids to post and a facebook page and so on in the months to come. Check out the vid.

thanks

Joe Morris

http://youtu.be/4bdv4Wix-P4?hd=1

I'd wondered where you were. Nice playing mate. Keys player hasn't got a twin brother living in Melbourne has he? Spitting image of a mate of mine.

Was that a bent hat stand? Those hats looked straight to me. ;-)

Joe, missed you mate! You know I'm a fan, but right now, I hate you:) I've just been listening through a tracking mix of a quick demo I recorded with my band last week. I made the mistake of playing to a click, & after 25 years off from click slavedom, that was a serious mistake. My groove sucks because of little corrections, & the band is disconnected (tracked separately, another mistake). Your groove is just sublime, & so is the band. Lovely tight connected focus & purposeful playing by all concerned. Congratulations on putting this wonderful group together.

If you played this to a click, I hate you. If you didn't, I hate you even more!

It's ok though, in half an hour's time, I'll love you again, when I get over myself:):):)

I'd wondered where you were. Nice playing mate. Keys player hasn't got a twin brother living in Melbourne has he? Spitting image of a mate of mine.

Was that a bent hat stand? Those hats looked straight to me. ;-)

Thanks I appreciate it. Keyboard player is a great guy not to mention a killer musician. I have 6 more vids coming out to promote the band wait till you hear Ted play sax. On the note of the high hat stand. Look close my friend. It's bent!!! ha!!!

All the best

Joe

Joe, missed you mate! You know I'm a fan, but right now, I hate you:) I've just been listening through a tracking mix of a quick demo I recorded with my band last week. I made the mistake of playing to a click, & after 25 years off from click slavedom, that was a serious mistake. My groove sucks because of little corrections, & the band is disconnected (tracked separately, another mistake). Your groove is just sublime, & so is the band. Lovely tight connected focus & purposeful playing by all concerned. Congratulations on putting this wonderful group together.

If you played this to a click, I hate you. If you didn't, I hate you even more!

It's ok though, in half an hour's time, I'll love you again, when I get over myself:):):)

Aww hey man thanks a lot. That's really nice of you. I really do appreciate the kind comments. I have 6 more vids coming out to promote the band. Oh yea and about your click thang--at least you have the knowledge to know when things are not jelling. If you can hear it, you can play it. Some cats would not even realize what your feeling and hearing within the playing. So get on it buddy, you know what to do.

And last but not least, no I did not track that to a click. All the vids were shot live as they went down.

Thanks again man I appreciate it.

Joe

Thanks Larry and AZ. Much appreciated. I will be posting more videos as they come out. Bernhard if you see this message please feel free to grab the video and add it to my page here at drummerworld.

Really everyone thanks very much. Starting my own band is something I thought I would never do. Seriously, it's a pain in the arggg!! I have been a sideman my whole life and I like it that way. I just have to play drums, but at this stage of my career I think I have something to say. I'm excited to do some live dates. So thanks again, I do appreciate it.

Joe

Joe, what's that crazy ass heel- toe shufflediddleflamacue you pullin' at 4: 50?

How do you do that? Some special kinda breakfast cereal ? : )

Last edited:
Starting my own band is something I thought I would never do. Seriously, it's a pain in the arggg!! I have been a sideman my whole life and I like it that way. I just have to play drums, but at this stage of my career I think I have something to say. I'm excited to do some live dates.

Slick band, Joe. You found a really good keys player - love the way he delays the first big chord at 2:17 at the start of the guitar solo ...

Are there a lot of jazz clubs around your way?

Joe, what's that crazy ass heel- toe shufflediddleflamacue you pullin' at 4: 50?

How do you do that? Some special kinda breakfast cereal ? : )

Well first of all of course you must have a bowl of coco pebbles in the morning, I used to be a fruit loop guy but I changed. lol, Anyway the riff your talking about is something that John Bonham started and tons of others do. It's actually a triplet between your hands and foot. I'm talking singe pedal here too by the way. One with the hand two with your foot. The difference is in the video the song i'm playing to is in 7. my solo is over an ostinato that's in 7. So when I do it im actually playing 3 and toward the end 4 against the 7. I hope that makes sense and thanks very much for the kind words.

Joe

Slick band, Joe. You found a really good keys player - love the way he delays the first big chord at 2:17 at the start of the guitar solo ...

Are there a lot of jazz clubs around your way?

Yes Ted is a great musician all together, not to mention he's a really great guy. Wait until you here him play sax in the other video's I have coming out. He kills it!! I'm excited for you all to hear him. There are some jazz clubs where I live in Phoenix, AZ but just a few. I am hoping to do more jazz festival type gigs with this band. maybe a few clubs but that would be select.

Joe

Yes Ted is a great musician all together, not to mention he's a really great guy. Wait until you here him play sax in the other video's I have coming out. He kills it!! I'm excited for you all to hear him. There are some jazz clubs where I live in Phoenix, AZ but just a few. I am hoping to do more jazz festival type gigs with this band. maybe a few clubs but that would be select.

Yep, bring on the sax. I can imagine the band doing well at festivals. I guess with jazz clubs it depends on the kind of jazz. Good grooving in 7 BTW - must be the coco pebbles ... we have Coco Pops in Oz.

Yep, bring on the sax. I can imagine the band doing well at festivals. I guess with jazz clubs it depends on the kind of jazz. Good grooving in 7 BTW - must be the coco pebbles ... we have Coco Pops in Oz.

I should have some of the new video's shortly. I will post when I have them. Thanks for the kind words and you bet get some coco pebbles.

love it man! VERY nice. such a deep groove... ive replayed it about 4 times now and I vote to officially rename the tune St. Augustine in Heaven... cause with a groove like that he just couldnt be in hell! ;) lol

Last edited:
love it man! VERY nice. such a deep groove... ive replayed it about 4 times now and I vote to officially rename the tune St. Augustine in Heaven... cause with a groove like that he just couldnt be in hell! ;) lol

Thanks blue that's really nice of you to say. The musicians I'm playing with make it even easier for me to groove. Thanks for your kind words. More vids to come .

Joe

Keep coming back to your video Joe. A real masterclass in groove & reserve. Loving the keyboard player for the same reason, as well as bass & guitar. Be sure to post your band's FB page Joe, & while we're on the subject, PM me your FB page too, if that sits ok with you.

Back