Starclassic B/B or Mapex Saturn ?

john gerrard

I'm in the market for a new set and I have it narrowed down to these two. I haven't had the chance to hear the StarclassicB/B's and it doesn't look like I will be able to find a set around here local to listen to. I have heard the Saturns live.

So what I was hoping for is that some of you who may have had the chance to listen to or have played on both sets could give me your opinions on them. When you get to sets of that caliber finish and hardware are not really much of a issue to me they are both top grade. What I'm really interested in is how do they compare sound wise?

Thank you I really appreciate the feedback. John

Personally, I'd lean towards the tamas. I have actually found mapex hardware of late to be pretty poor quality. My meridian is literally falling apart (I have had 3 lug boxes actually split in less than a year!), and the stands are junk. Even the most expensive stool mapex sell is inherently flawed in it's design and wobbles like crazy. Tama stuff is bulletproof, and I never had a days issue with anything on that kit. If it is just down to sound for you though, only you can choose that!!!

Personally, I'd lean towards the tamas. I have actually found mapex hardware of late to be pretty poor quality. My meridian is literally falling apart (I have had 3 lug boxes actually split in less than a year!), and the stands are junk. Even the most expensive stool mapex sell is inherently flawed in it's design and wobbles like crazy. Tama stuff is bulletproof, and I never had a days issue with anything on that kit. If it is just down to sound for you though, only you can choose that!!!
Well I wouldn't compare the Meridian with the Saturns or B/B's. Two completely different levels. Like all brands of hardware they make some good stands and some bad stands. I swear by the tom mounts made by Mapex, and the cymbal arms by DW. I use a rack so legs and feet don't matter. I do use Mapex triple headed mounts on both sides of my kit and they are great. Solid as a rock.

I actually found the Saturn's to have a much deeper sound than the B/B's. I went to buy B/B's but left with Saturn's. Plus the Saturns are cheaper. Best bang for the buck. You need to listen to both and decide what you like. Tama seems to make finishes that they like, not necessarily what everyone else likes.

Everyone has been helpful but keep in mind I don't have the opportunity to hear the Starclassics in person. That is why I asked for opinions from those who have heard/played them for opinions. I realize in a perfect setting I could set down and play both sets but this is the real world and I just won't have that opportunity. Hence this thread. Thanks and keep the comments comming. John

OK, I will make it easy for you. Buy the Saturns. Best sounding kit for the money out there.

I own a set of saturns, they are great but honestly I doubt the difference between them and the Tama's are gonna be huge. So I would go with the Saturns 1) because you have heard them and know you like em,2) they are cheaper and I believe have more color options, 3) They are time tested.

Just make sure the Saturn's you heard are the ones you buy. They all used to be Maple/Walnut but now they offer Birch/ Walnut as well which I have not heard in person yet.

Ineedaclutch , did what happen already ?

Nhzoso, You know I really think you are right on the money. I don't feel that there will really be that much difference. I guess that it will boil down to what I find first that looks good and one that is in my price range. Thank you for your input. John

The Saturn vs B/B thread. You have most of your answer in your last post though. They are both fantastic kits and you can't go wrong with either of them.

Ineedaclutch , did what happen already ?

Nhzoso, You know I really think you are right on the money. I don't feel that there will really be that much difference. I guess that it will boil down to what I find first that looks good and one that is in my price range. Thank you for your input. John
Actually I found a big difference in sound. Bearing edge, shell thickness, two totally different kinds of woods. How could they not sound different.

FYI all you guys saying "tama b/b is better" and "saturn is better" are not helping one bit.
Anyway......
So here is my brake down of the kits--
The saturn kit: Is a deep, warm, crisp and punchy kit, AND F***ing loud some times.

How it compares ??: it's going to be deeper warmer crisper and about as punchy as the b/b, it will have less crack and will take a lot more skill to tune good. The Saturn drums can sound as good as anything out there if your willing to put the time in to the Tuning, muffling, and heads.

Other thoughts: Well as far as build go's, the saturn's are solid (AJ3000 your saying mapex is bad cuzz your meridian was falling apart... Well I have never had anyone I have EVER talked say they had an issue, it was probably a rare problem or a manufacturing flaw, nonetheless you should call/email mapex about the problem, the lifetime warranty should cover it. Now the hardware is great but on the other hand the mounts/stands are nothing special, I would get dw,yamaha, or tama stands- if I was you

The b/b:It's a warm, punchy kit with a lot of crack (and good low end)

How it compares: Well if you have not heard the kit- it's like a good maple sound on steroids, a lot punchier and a little brighter then a maple kit.

FYI: don't get a 8in tom, It's sound is kinda off on this kit

Other thoughts: Well as far as build go's, its very good. some times (pretty rare) the bering edge can be off, making the head not seat just right (but I cant hear it, it just looks off) other then that is good.
And the hardware and stand's are great, nothing bad can be said about them!

Over all it up to you just remember you can go wrong here, everything is good at this price. (for the most part)

Last edited:
Dapperdan , Thank you for taking the time for this really good description. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you again. John.

Keep the opinions comming. John

John, I really can't tell you what you'll like better of the two. I've played both kits head to head and I definitely know which I would buy if I was in the market for one of them. My advice to you would be the same advice that I would adhere to if I was making a decision on a fairly expensive set of drums. If I wasn't able to hear them in person, that set would be eliminated from my decision. I never bought a set of drums or cymbals for that matter, unheard. People will go on and on advising you to buy what they have or wish they had and in my opinion, that doesn't help you at all. Again, if it was me, I would only shop for something that I could make a personal educated decision about.

Best of luck,
Dennis

Other thoughts: Well as far as build go's, the saturn's are solid (AJ3000 your saying mapex is bad cuzz your meridian was falling apart... Well I have never had anyone I have EVER talked say they had an issue, it was probably a rare problem or a manufacturing flaw, nonetheless you should call/email mapex about the problem, the lifetime warranty should cover it. Now the hardware is great but on the other hand the mounts/stands are nothing special, I would get dw,yamaha, or tama stands- if I was you

Funnily enough I have contacted mapex UK on 3 separate occasions about the lug boxes, the stands and the throne, and it has fallen on deaf ears. Not even a reply from them. They might be different in the US, but I was disappointed with their customer service. Having said that, Tama CS is nothing to write home about either. I phoned them with regard to an iron cobra and they told me that they don't deal with the public and put the phone down!

I guess overall though, no-one can choose for you. I prefer the darkness that bubinga has to offer, and I also (personally, IMHO) thing the tamas are built better. But the saturns are tried and tested and are also great sounding kits. If they're good enough for Gregg Bissonette....

Back