PacifRick

I am currently in the process of upgrading my cymbals to fit my newly tweaked taste. Currently, I am playing A Custom crashes 16" and 18" and I will definitely be keeping them. However, my tastes in hats and rides has evolved.

As far as hats are concerned, I have the A Custom regular hats and they feel a little harsh in some situations, not as "smooth" as I would like. I am really digging the K Custom Hybrid hats, but to my ear I cannot decide on the 13.25" or the 14.25" versions. Both of these sound terrific, but which would you recommend to be more versatile, considering I play in a couple bands consisting of country, newer rock, classic rock, funk, and some heavier rock/metal ( i haven't opened the Jazz door yet, but might soon start learning)? Would the smaller version be a little soft in some situations?

For rides, I have a 20" A Custom Medium ride that sounds great, is somewhat versatile, but I guess I am getting tired of it. Something new is in order, but I have no idea where to start looking for something to match the A Custom crashes and the K Hybrid hats. My biggest problem here is that no stores in my area carry anything other than the A Sweet ride or a regular 20" K ride. The Sweet rides are sweet, but I don't know if I like it that much better than what I have. The K rides are very dark on the bow and the bell was ungodly loud. I like both, but am concerned that there are better choices out there that you might shine some light on. I realize "use your own ears" is great, but I am afraid that since I don't have many listening opportunities that I will settle for something I might not be completely happy with.

Thanks for any and all input!

This is a really tough question. I also play the A Custom set-up. (It sounds like we bought the same pack). I would not advocate getting rid of either the hats or the ride. Both are versatile and it's possible that if your tastes have changed then they'll change again.
If you dig the K Custom hats (who doesn't, right?) then I'd suggest the 14" unless you play a lot of fusion gigs or weddings/lounges where you need less volume. If so, then get the 13"s.

Best idea, hold off making any purchase until you can get to a real live drum shop with tons of selection. Luckily, in Nashville we have a pretty good choice, but I realize that's not the scene everywhere. Who knows? Maybe while you are waiting to get to a place with good selection your tastes will change back and you'll lave back into love with your A Custom plates.

...... that I will settle for something I might not be completely happy with.

Thanks for any and all input!

I wonder if truly any of us are completely happy with what we have. Unless you're a big drummin' star, I'll bet there's not alot of us that actually get to go to the Zildjian/Sabian/Paiste/whoever vaults to pick stuff out. I went through several rides before stumbling on to the one I have now. First they're too clangy, then it wasn't dark enough, then the overtones were 'wrong', then not enough 'shimmer'. It takes time to find what you eventually fall in love with. And then there are those guys who sound great on anything they get their hands on. I hate those guys.

This is a really tough question. I also play the A Custom set-up. (It sounds like we bought the same pack). I would not advocate getting rid of either the hats or the ride. Both are versatile and it's possible that if your tastes have changed then they'll change again.
If you dig the K Custom hats (who doesn't, right?) then I'd suggest the 14" unless you play a lot of fusion gigs or weddings/lounges where you need less volume. If so, then get the 13"s.

Best idea, hold off making any purchase until you can get to a real live drum shop with tons of selection. Luckily, in Nashville we have a pretty good choice, but I realize that's not the scene everywhere. Who knows? Maybe while you are waiting to get to a place with good selection your tastes will change back and you'll lave back into love with your A Custom plates.

That's great advice, however I was never really in love with the hats or ride anyways, just tolerated them till I couldn't any longer! The crashes, on the other hand, sound better every time I hit them!

Bo, I don't think I will ever reach the point of being completely satisfied with an entire set-up either. Even if I had access to a vault, I don't trust my ears well enough to be confident. You guys seem to point folks in the right direction, so any advice is welcome. Maybe I won't hit a home-run the first go around, but eventually I will hone in on my sound...Baby Steps!

For my taste, you nailed it. I love the AC crashes but dont really care for the ride and hats.

IMO the New Beats and A Med Ride (or Sweet Ride) would go very well with AC crashes.

As far as ever being satisfied with what I have and not wanting something else, I dunno, I have all A zildjians (Med Ride, New Beats, Med Crashes etc) and they ALL sound GREAT, but If I could trade my Med Crashes for A Custom Crashes in the same condition I would.
I am also always thinking about new rides, but I know if I replaced my ride (which is already a good balance of ping, overtones and wash) there will be a very good chance that I will regret it.
Oh, and I aint givin my New Beats up for nothin. ;)

For my taste, you nailed it. I love the AC crashes but dont really care for the ride and hats.

IMO the New Beats and A Med Ride (or Sweet Ride) would go very well with AC crashes.

As far as ever being satisfied with what I have and not wanting something else, I dunno, I have all A zildjians (Med Ride, New Beats, Med Crashes etc) and they ALL sound GREAT, but If I could trade my Med Crashes for A Custom Crashes in the same condition I would.
I am also always thinking about new rides, but I know if I replaced my ride (which is already a good balance of ping, overtones and wash) there will be a very good chance that I will regret it.
Oh, and I aint givin my New Beats up for nothin. ;)

The reason I like the K hybrid hats so well, is to me, they offer the best of the New Beats with a little of the K hats "body" that I love mixed in, great combination. Like I said before, my ride is getting the job done, it's just not "IT" for me. I would like something with the stick attack and bell volume of my current ride, only a little more musical, maybe a touch more subtle.

The reason I like the K hybrid hats so well, is to me, they offer the best of the New Beats with a little of the K hats "body" that I love mixed in, great combination.
I would like something with the stick attack and bell volume of my current ride, only a little more musical, maybe a touch more subtle.

I get it, the K's are beauties.

Good ping and bell volume?. I think both the Zildjian A Med Ride and the Sweet Ride are a bit too subtle for you.
Now I'm thinkin Zildjian A Ping Ride or Rock Ride. They have more Ping (attack) and are also musical.

All I am going to say is I use...

13" K Standard Hi hats

And they work in every musical situation...except I don’t play thrash metal so I can't say for that.

I tried them all and this is the most versatile hats ever...and they can get LOUD. I love 13"

Good ping and bell volume?. I think both the Zildjian A Med Ride and the Sweet Ride are a bit too subtle for you.
Now I'm thinkin Zildjian A Ping Ride or Rock Ride. They have more Ping (attack) and are also musical.

Second the Ping Ride, though it probably is to heavy for jazz if you ever did make the move.
Here's a video of my band where I am playing the ride. I know that the cymbal sound changes due to mixing EQs and mastering but this gives you a fairly good idea of how it (or at least mine) sounds. I play it at the 4:08 mark and the 4:48 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQilVheYA0

Cheers
Jackson

I guess with the ride I wasn't trying to describe a really loud ping or bell, only equal to or slightly less than my A Custom Medium. Not even really a "ping" so to speak, but with a defined crispy stick attack that varies depending on where you hit it. To me, my current ride sounds the same no matter where you hit it, except for the bell obviously. The Ping Ride is a little too over the top for me, although still musical. Actually, the Sweet ride or A Medium might be exactly what I'm looking for, only try out few before selecting one to take home, which will unfortunately be impossible to hear several at the same time in my area. Again thanks for all suggestions guys, I'm not trying to be too picky, but without my ability to try several rides in one sitting, I'd like to have a target area to shoot for, and you guys have provided me with an abundance of ammo. I will keep you updated, suggestions are still welcome.

Second the Ping Ride, though it probably is to heavy for jazz if you ever did make the move.
Here's a video of my band where I am playing the ride. I know that the cymbal sound changes due to mixing EQs and mastering but this gives you a fairly good idea of how it (or at least mine) sounds. I play it at the 4:08 mark and the 4:48 mark.

Cheers
Jackson

Thanks for the example, your playing is superb and it looks like a fun band to play with. Keep it up!

Cheers
Jackson

Not to get too far off-topic here, but I think your band is great! Killer tune!

I guess with the ride I wasn't trying to describe a really loud ping or bell, only equal to or slightly less than my A Custom Medium. Not even really a "ping" so to speak, but with a defined crispy stick attack that varies depending on where you hit it. To me, my current ride sounds the same no matter where you hit it, except for the bell obviously.

Now I'm thinking that the Zildjian A Med Ride would be pretty much on the money, given what you've said.
I own a 20" Med Ride and you pretty much described it (almost) perfectly, especially the "defined crispy stick attack" part, because thats it in a nutshell!. :)

I wouldnt go as far to say that it sounds vastly different (or complex) depending on where you hit it though, other than being more defined the closer to the bell and more washy the closer to the edge.
The 20" Med Ride is a great cymbal, but in a perfect world, I would have the 22", mainly for the weight because when I play pretty hard it flops around a bit much for me.

Now I'm thinking that the Zildjian A Med Ride would be pretty much on the money, given what you've said.
I own a 20" Med Ride and you pretty much described it (almost) perfectly, especially the "defined crispy stick attack" part, because thats it in a nutshell!. :)

I wouldnt go as far to say that it sounds vastly different (or complex) depending on where you hit it though, other than being more defined the closer to the bell and more washy the closer to the edge.
The 20" Med Ride is a great cymbal, but in a perfect world, I would have the 22", mainly for the weight because when I play pretty hard it flops around a bit much for me.

That's music to my ears! I've always heard them on recordings and have been wowed but thought I couldn't trust that sound due to processing. I have never heard one live in person (that I knew of) but in the back of my mind kept thinking that has to be the cymbal that I hear in my sleep!

JT, do you think a K ride of any kind would fit it in well with A Custom crashes?

That's music to my ears! I've always heard them on recordings and have been wowed but thought I couldn't trust that sound due to processing. I have never heard one live in person (that I knew of) but in the back of my mind kept thinking that has to be the cymbal that I hear in my sleep!

JT, do you think a K ride of any kind would fit it in well with A Custom crashes?

Hmmm I cant really speak for the normal k ride as I haven't played one but from videos I have seen of it they're not too dark if that's what you're worried about. As for the k light ride they are only a little bit dirtier and darker but still are more mid range than dark. But a cust crashes are pretty bright arent they. It depends on what you mean by 'fit in well' and how much of a contrast you want between ride and crashes
Maybe check out some videos to give yourself and idea ad if you can play a light ride with your crashes
Jackson

Back