How flashy is too flashy?

topgun2021

Gold Member
Last edited:
There's a lot of threads on that drummer, he's known on this forum.

Getting to your question, he is too flashy for my tastes but not too flashy for his.

In an interview with the drummer, he says that he throws in all the twirls and arm flailing and everything for his own enjoyment, not for show. He used to be a metal drummer and thus found himself bored with empty time with this new band, so he developed all his "moves" for fun to keep himself busy while playing.

Personally, I think it's entertaining to watch. The band doesn't have too much going for them, lol, so it adds to their entertainment value.

Think, if it weren't for his ridiculous and over the top motions nobody would know who he is.

In an interview with the drummer, he says that he throws in all the twirls and arm flailing and everything for his own enjoyment, not for show. He used to be a metal drummer and thus found himself bored with empty time with this new band, so he developed all his "moves" for fun to keep himself busy while playing.

Personally, I think it's entertaining to watch. The band doesn't have too much going for them, lol, so it adds to their entertainment value.

Think, if it weren't for his ridiculous and over the top motions nobody would know who he is.

I still don't know who he is ;)

I haven't clicked on the link, but this wouldn't be the drummer in the gold yellow jacket, would it?

I've seen this guy before and here's the "deal" as I see it... If you were just listening to the audio of this guy playing and not watching the video.... you would never know he was performing all this pyrotechnic stuff, would you? That's how good he is at this. He's really honed this done to the proverbial "fine art." My biggest complaint about drummers who over do the twirls and the gymnastics of the "entertainment' part of this show drumming, is that they're not playing drums when they are "juggling." I would say, "So decide what you want to be, a drummer or a circus act." And for many players who do this, this is the case. BUT!!!.... this guy has got it seriously together. You have to admit he's not missing a beat. That's why i say that if you were just listening to him and not watching, you'd never know he was performing AND playing the way he is. Remember, music biz is also "entertainment" and this guy serves it up on platters! We should respect what he has developed. I also think that when another drummer is eating sour grapes over someone like this, it's because he knows that he can't do what this guy is doing. Me personally, I don't care to play like this, but then again, i think i may be too lazy to learn it. :>) :>) :>)

Kelly

Please retire this guy. Six threads is quite enough. A search would have revealed that yes we know of this guy.

I guess he's exactly flashy enough to get the kind of attention he and the group want- the goal seems to be to help them get bookings and drive their fee up a little bit. I hope the guy likes being known as the crazy animal drummer guy, because it may be awhile before he's asked to do anything else.

I've seen this guy before and here's the "deal" as I see it... If you were just listening to the audio of this guy playing and not watching the video.... you would never know he was performing all this pyrotechnic stuff, would you? That's how good he is at this. He's really honed this done to the proverbial "fine art." My biggest complaint about drummers who over do the twirls and the gymnastics of the "entertainment' part of this show drumming, is that they're not playing drums when they are "juggling." I would say, "So decide what you want to be, a drummer or a circus act." And for many players who do this, this is the case. BUT!!!.... this guy has got it seriously together. You have to admit he's not missing a beat. That's why i say that if you were just listening to him and not watching, you'd never know he was performing AND playing the way he is. Remember, music biz is also "entertainment" and this guy serves it up on platters! We should respect what he has developed. I also think that when another drummer is eating sour grapes over someone like this, it's because he knows that he can't do what this guy is doing. Me personally, I don't care to play like this, but then again, i think i may be too lazy to learn it. :>) :>) :>)

Kelly
Great post Kelly! I don't care to go down this line either, but I respect his USP. Let's be honest here, he's the only highlight in an otherwise wrist slashingly boring band.

I haven't clicked on the link, but this wouldn't be the drummer in the gold yellow jacket, would it?

Well, it's not the guy who just won the Masters. He's the guy in the green jacket. He's not quite as flashy, but his sticks are longer.

Just a side note:

I only posted Steve because he is the flashiest I have ever seen. Not to bring attention to him as, "HEY LOOK AT THIS GUY." More of a, "Here is an example of the flashiest I deem possible."

To actually answer your question: If it doesn't interfere with your drumming you can't be too flashy. If it does then ya better take it down a notch.
I have to take it down many notches.:)

I guess he's exactly flashy enough to get the kind of attention he and the group want- the goal seems to be to help them get bookings and drive their fee up a little bit. I hope the guy likes being known as the crazy animal drummer guy, because it may be awhile before he's asked to do anything else.

There may be a few situations where the crazy drummer shtick can help a band and perhaps you are right, this is one of those cases.

In 99 percent of other situations, though, this person would draw too much attention to himself and disrupt the stage presence of the band.

The guitar players I play with would never hire me if I did this stuff. Good for him. Somebody has to do it. I sure don't want to look like that.

Keep it... and ... Death.... Yes, he is the strongest player/performer in that band. "Slashingly boring"! That's great! lol, lol.... The other guys in the band kinda come off like a lizard lounge act that nobodies really listening to. Anyway,i've never cared to do all that stufff. I'm quite sure i couldn't pull it off like he does and it would definitely interfere with my playing. And ...I...have...to...concentrate.... :>)

Kelly

Back