Gavin Harrison here!

Zildjian have made some custom ones for me - and they would be from the 'A' series.

Hi Gavin,

do you think you can convince them to turn this into a product, i.e. "Gavin Harrison's Chime Set" ;-) ? I am sure they are going to find quite a lot of interested drummers. I once asked a female Zildjian sales staff member during the Frankfurt "Musikmesse" - she claimed to know you but I don´t remember her name. She said that this would be an interesting idea - however "interesting" can mean a lot... including complete nonsense.

Or is this something that you would hate anyway - maybe because these chimes are so intimately related to your own style of drumming.

By the way... your Guitar Center video is awsome - you are one of the few pro drummers that can really explain musical concepts and make people aware of the traps they might find themselves in - fills sometimes being a "nervous habit" really made me lough. Hopefully they issue more of this.

Maybe I am going to see you in Germany on your drum clinic tour this year - I know a cool drum shop organizing real good clinics close to Frankfurt (www.musicnmore.de) - Benny Greb has been visiting us not too long ago. That´ll be great fun!

Hi Gavin.

I am a newbie hobbyist drummer (and big time PT fan). I just heard the term "quantizing" and what it is, and also learned that it is hard to find nowadays records in which the drums were not quantized. My world is crumbing here.

Do you quantize your drums, or are they "el natural"? :)

Sometimes when playing the displaced patterns (ride pattern on e,a,e,a for example) I find myself starting off counting the A Status correctly in my head (or out loud), but once I repeat it a couple times, I just start feeling it as the B Status, and start counting it that way. It's still being played right, I'm just counting it and feeling it as if it were the B Status.

This question came up not long ago - maybe a page or two back. Don't switch your mind into the B Status at all. Fight the urge and hear it as a completely new pattern.

cheers
Gavin

Alright thanks. I'll also try that suggestion from the previous page.

Hi haroldo_psf

I am a newbie hobbyist drummer (and big time PT fan). I just heard the term "quantizing" and what it is, and also learned that it is hard to find nowadays records in which the drums were not quantized. My world is crumbing here.
Do you quantize your drums, or are they "el natural"? :)

Yes everything I've ever recorded has been quantised.

Hi Lex

When you're lookin at the development of the music industry in the last years,
how do you see it? sad decline.
Could you please elaborate on this? I'm intrigued by your answer.

The music industry has changed a lot since I started in it. In terms of recorded music (and the knock on effect of record budgets, session musicians, studios etc) the illegal downloading has almost killed it - so musicians have had to try and change direction - but it feels like it's shrinking (at least to me).

cheers
Gavin

Yes everything I've ever recorded has been quantised.
Could you elaborate on that? I understand that you're using a click when you're recording so what else is there? Are you pulling every note onto the "grid" of time, and if so, where does that leave any feel from you? Thanks!

HI GAVIN ,QUESTION. LEADING WITH RIGHT FOOT W/ DOUBLE BASS PEDALS IN 16 THS.PUTS LEFT FOOT ON E & AHS, BUT MY RIGHT FOOT IS STRONGER IF ITS ON E,S & AH,S BECAUSE I AM USED TO PLAYING 1/8 NOTES ON MY H/H, 1 + 2 + YOU KNOW ,BIT OF A PROBLEM, WITCH IS BETTER OR WITCH SHOULD I PRACTICE MORE ??????? ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA OR FIX.
-------------------- CAN"T ANYONE COMMIT ON THIS QUESTION OTHER THAN PRACTICE MORE OR HARDER,ANYONE HAVE A GOOD ANSWER OR METHOD OR IS QUESTION TO HARD ?????????

Hi jim arnold

QUESTION. LEADING WITH RIGHT FOOT W/ DOUBLE BASS PEDALS IN 16 THS.PUTS LEFT FOOT ON E & AHS, BUT MY RIGHT FOOT IS STRONGER IF ITS ON E,S & AH,S BECAUSE I AM USED TO PLAYING 1/8 NOTES ON MY H/H, 1 + 2 + YOU KNOW ,BIT OF A PROBLEM, WITCH IS BETTER OR WITCH SHOULD I PRACTICE MORE ??????? ANYONE HAVE A GOOD IDEA OR FIX.

It might be better if you didn't write everything in capital letters. It comes across like you are SHOUTING AT US. Regarding your question: If you just want to start on the beat and play 16ths then yes your method will be fine. I always start with my right foot even if the pattern begins on an 'E' or 'A' - in which case I would be pedaling as you describe - and sometimes I play a triplet or herta in the middle of a pattern that means I would be pedaling the other way - right foot on the beat. I think it would be best to not limit yourself to always getting the left foot on the beat - but rather get equally comfortable playing both ways. What would happen if you wanted to play 16ths on the bass drum during an odd time signature like 15/16 or 11/16 for instance? Also what about triplets and patterns that were 16ths mixed with triplets?

good luck
Gavin

s
Sorry, Didn't mean to yell ,I have one eye and deformed fingers and poor grammar, Its just easier to type in caps. Drumming is my release ,sorry and thanks for tip. Jim

Hi Gavin

Can you tell what is your opinion on all the illegal file and music sharing. Do you thing it affects the music and in what way? Do you do it:)

OK Folks here's the details of my up coming UK & Ireland clinic tour:

An evening of drums/music & chat plus a full support.

"Gavin Harrison does his first clinic tour in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales in 12 years".

The clinic tour is being organized by www.mikedolbear.com and supported by Sonor drums, Zildjian cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Remo drum heads, Hardcase drum cases and Hudson Music.

The dates and shops are:

Sunday June 5th Swansea "Drumnutt" 01792 301010 [email protected]

Monday June 6th Dublin "XMusic" 00353 1411 1100 [email protected]

Tuesday June 7th Manchester "Manchester Drum centre" 0161 789 4415 [email protected]

Wednesday June 8th Bradford "Northern drum centre" 01274 371271 [email protected]

Thursday June 9th Gateshead "The drum shop" 0191 495 0201

Friday June 10th Edinburgh "Drum Central" 0131 667 3844/0141 552 0111 [email protected]

Sunday June 12th Colchester “Orchard Percussion” masterclass 01206 271634 [email protected]

Monday June 13th Chesham "The Drum Shed" 01494 793786 [email protected]

hope to see you along the way!!!

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Back