Yea, one more Mapex thread - haha!

Skwerly

I have done the “Mapex Saturn” search on the forum here, and I have read every single post in all four pages lol. I guess I’m just looking for a little reassurance – I’m getting cold feet here.

Okay, here’s the scoop: I play a mid 90s Pear Export now with a lot of miles on it and some broken hardware. The kit isn’t bad, and it’s great to gig with because if it gets nicked or whatever I really don’t care too much. The set looks pretty nice, so it’s not a trap/trash set, but it’s an Export, ya know? I’ve been playing this same kit since ’94. Now for the dilemma.

I was recently in a big music shop and the manager was setting up a Mapex Saturn. Let’s just say he hit the bass drum and the entire store stopped to see what happened. Those of you who play Mapex probably know what I’m talking about.

So I got to rapping with the guy and he told me all about the set. Came home, did days of research, and I’m in love. The question is, even though I KNOW what the kit sounds like and I KNOW what mine sounds like, is it really worth the leap and the bucks to step up to one? Don’t get me wrong, I really, really want this thing. I guess over the years I’ve just grown attached to my Pearl haha. doesn’t sound good though, and especially when compared to that Saturn I played. What a set!

Understandably, it’s all I can think about for the last week. Yesterday we had practice and I had to suffer through the anemic bass of the Export haha. I have an old chrome Swingstar (I believe...) snare that sounds pretty decent, but NOT when compared to that Mapex on the Saturn set. Talk about a crack!

I think that stepping up from the Pearl to that Mapex would do me worlds of good, but will it really? Also, it’s within my budget, but barely. :D You know how that goes.

Thanks in advance. HELP me! :)

Mapex Saturn drums are very good instruments; I played them for several years but then decided to go small (Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz). Saturns are very worth it. I still play them at church twice a week , a set I donated. I really like 'em. Drum on!

I think that you will not go wrong with the Mapex Saturn. You have to decide if you want to spend the money. They are worth it. I have a Mapex Meridian Birch kit. It is well built and sounds good for what i do. I have played the Saturns and they sound better than my set. If you already like the sound then Im sure you will be happy.

The Saturns are the top of the line, professional kits from Mapex, with only the Orion's (and now the Black Panther kits) above in price, but as for performance, I think they are just different. If you look at the website, the drum hardware (lugs, mounts, etc) is the same for both Orion and Saturn, and the only differences are in shell material (which both are of excellent woods, anyway) and finish.
I don't know how you can regret it; you'll be buying a high end kit that is not only recommended by many, but also you've heard yourself and liked.

Fox.

Thanks for the input all!

Yea, I saw those on ebay too, but the Saturn in the stores are only 1600 and are six piece, whereas the used ones normally only have two toms. The guy down at the shop is going to cut me a deal because I wanted the drums this weekend, and he’s going to allow me 15% off of the 1599.00 because of President’s Day. I can’t go wrong there!

I played an export before I got my mapex (yes, it is a Pro M not a Saturn but still amazing
for what I paid). Best thing I ever did. Mapex are solid kits, have amazing projection and look fantastic. Go for it! you won't be disappointed.

Sounds like a good deal I would go for it..then save up for some cases/bags for protecting them during transport to gigs..I used a saturn snare for a long time..very thin and resonant, love the layer of walnut..I'm sure you read more pros use them then the more expensive orions...thats gotta say something..

Yea, I’m already thinking about cases for the thing and I don’t have it yet haha. thanks all for the input – very encouraging. As of this point, I’ve watched literally hours of Mapex stuff on the net – videos, reviews, interviews, etc etc. I really think I cannot go wrong here.

Thanks again, yall!

Yes, if you get the Mapex Saturn, relax and know it is a great choice. Look hard at what Snare you will get as the Saturn does not come with one.Mapex Black Panther's are great. Be choosy!

The one at this shop comes with the snare, and it has a solid CRACK to it. Beautiful snares - they excite me as much as the bass and toms! :)

Yes, if you get the Mapex Saturn, relax and know it is a great choice. Look hard at what Snare you will get as the Saturn does not come with one.Mapex Black Panther's are great. Be choosy!

No the saturns do come with a snare if you look at the 6 piece studioease which I believe he is talking about

When you get it, pics or it didnt happen!

No the saturns do come with a snare if you look at the 6 piece studioease which I believe he is talking about

That's the one - GORGEOUS snares. Unbelievable POW to them too. And, you bet I'll take pics. I'll probably have a zillion of them on day one. :lol:

That's the one - GORGEOUS snares. Unbelievable POW to them too. And, you bet I'll take pics. I'll probably have a zillion of them on day one. :lol:

I know i did when i got my saturn.

When you get them, play'em till its phsyically impossible to, i know i did!

If I can get mine sounding ANY-thing like the ones I heard in the store (manager said he had JUST unboxed them and that it was totally factory tuning!) or the ones i hear on the Youtube I'm going to be in Hog Heaven. Oh yes! :)

Back