I wished I never sold?

braincramp

Gold Member
After being on this site a couple months it amazes me how much us drummies have in common. One thing is rotating equipment whether it be ebay,g-list or private sales it seems alot of us do it. I didn't check if this thread has been done before but seems like a neat idea whats the one drum,cymbal,set, pedal that you sold that you still regret. For me I let a Tama Lars snare go for $175 and yesterday was just listening to a recording of a hard rock song I did with it (it almost hurt) and thats what gave me the idea for this thread (that or I spend way to much time here). The cymbal I wish I would of kept is a Sabian Legacy 18" crash. 18" total dark bliss.

This is a good thread and im sure it will get a lot of posts! For me it was my Tama Rockstar DX that i stripped, sanded and re finished myself. I know its not a great set but i would love to still have it as a beat around kit and just for the memories i had with it. I played my very first gig with it! I sold it to a good friend though right before i left for the Army so at least i know it went to good hands haha

My regrets, I sold two toms from my 1971 Slingerlands. The 13 & 14" toms. Now I just have 3 pieces left. The 12"tom, 16" floor tom and the 22" bass.
My other regret was selling my Gibraltar rack. One month after selling it I went out and had to buy another one.

My complete set of Masterwork Jazz Series cymbals. They sounded so much better than my Zildjian A's.

Agreed, great post! Mine was a 20" K Custom Dry Ride. Was rotating gear in/out of my quiver. Not too sure what possessed me to get rid of that one, but I deeply regret it.

Ludwig Stainless Steels...14x26,10x14,16x18, LM402 Super Sensitive. I had no idea what a great kit I had at the time, nor it's classic value.

Had a full set of REAL Slingerlands that I let a friend borrow. Never saw 'em again. Sweet, natural grain finish. The perfect jazz kit... Sigh.

Back in 94 I sold my first drumkit. A set of black Ludwig Vistalites. Honestly, I don't miss the drums that much (I kept the snare drum). However, what I really miss were the hi-hat and ride cymbals. I bought the drums used, but it was all the original kit. The cymbals were Zildjians, but I'm having to guess they were A series. The hi-hat and ride cymbals had no printing, just the stamp, and the crash cymbal just had the Zildjian outline logo on the bottom. So they were that old.

I really miss that ride cymbal though. It was 20", basic profile and bell. Kind of higher in pitch than most rides, but it just worked with everything. Maybe it's just me being sentimental, but I really loved that cymbal. I liked the hi-hats too, but they were 13" and wouldn't work in any situation. Still, I'd love to have them now, as I mix and match various HH combinations a lot.

1. Tama 6.5x14 Imperialstar steel snare circa 1983. Same one Bill Bruford and Stewart Copeland made famous. Stupid sell, that one...
2. Gretsch COB 5x14 snare. I wasn't that great a tuning at the time. My bad. It's been re-issued since.
3. 20" Evolution Ride. Best 20" crash I've ever heard.
4. 18" AAX Xplosion crash. I have the 20" now and think that 18 would've gone nicely with it.
5. 18" 2oo2 Medium Crash. I've had a few of these and always thought they were *it*. I should've just given it a break instead of selling it, though.
6. My first 3 or 4 pair of New Beats. I have a set now. I'm a slow learner.

This list is just getting the obvious ones. I know there's more.

My very first real snare drum a Sonor 5 3/4"x14" ferro-manganese shell. Not made anymore it has great sentimental value. I wish I still had that drum.

If anybody comes across one with initials engraved inside the drum "1983" please message me.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot the '70s era 5.5x14 Slingerland maple snare. Best wood snare I ever had.

1. Tama 6.5x14 Imperialstar steel snare circa 1983. Same one Bill Bruford and Stewart Copeland made famous. Stupid sell, that one...
2. Gretsch COB 5x14 snare. I wasn't that great a tuning at the time. My bad. It's been re-issued since.
3. 20" Evolution Ride. Best 20" crash I've ever heard.
4. 18" AAX Xplosion crash. I have the 20" now and think that 18 would've gone nicely with it.
5. 18" 2oo2 Medium Crash. I've had a few of these and always thought they were *it*. I should've just given it a break instead of selling it, though.
6. My first 3 or 4 pair of New Beats. I have a set now. I'm a slow learner.

This list is just getting the obvious ones. I know there's more.

I too sold the the evo 20" ...ride one great crash...still have the 2002 20" crash but would trade it to get the evo back I'm sure....there is so much once I start thinking had a K hybrid crash and thought it wasnt BIG enough..same with a HH 16" thin..

1. 5x14 Ludwig Pioneer snare from 1963 in Blue Duco. Got it with my first drumkit and it all cost me $225. Had to sell it to pay bills. Later saw it on a shelf at Music 6000, cleaned up and tagged for sale at $600. Even worse... I don't have a good, unobstructed picture of it. Saw another one (same color) for sale on Craigslist a few months ago and came -that- close to pulling the trigger.... but not yet.
2. Paiste 14" Sound Vader hi-hats. For whatever reason, Paiste makes great entry level cymbals and these were great rock hats. (Not as great as I thought, though - see #4.)
3. (believe it or not) Pearl CX-300 ride. For $40 you don't expect a cymbal to sound this decent. I scrubbed the logo off and people thought it was a brilliant 20" Avedis Ping Ride or Medium ride, it sounded that good (not like the crap Pearl makes now).
4. Played a set of 13" New Beats for about a year on a community kit, was offered them for $120, and said no thanks, I have my Sound Vaders. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

After being on this site a couple months it amazes me how much us drummies have in common. One thing is rotating equipment whether it be ebay,g-list or private sales it seems alot of us do it. I didn't check if this thread has been done before but seems like a neat idea whats the one drum,cymbal,set, pedal that you sold that you still regret. For me I let a Tama Lars snare go for $175 and yesterday was just listening to a recording of a hard rock song I did with it (it almost hurt) and thats what gave me the idea for this thread (that or I spend way to much time here). The cymbal I wish I would of kept is a Sabian Legacy 18" crash. 18" total dark bliss.

No regrets other than stuff that has appreciated in value (old K's especially). I've come in contact with some of my old gear through the years and through that contact have been reminded of why I did get rid of it.

We keep the good sonic memories up front, the stuff we liked about it, the negative stuff fades away, but usually comes back instantly once we meet the gear again. When you're younger you really don't have a pulse on what's going to go up in value, or how the gear scene is going to be different in the future. Now that drum gear has a healthy past, it is a littler easier to judge, icons have been made etc.

My advise is don't pine over a lost sound, you probably forgot what you didn't like about it.

When I was 15, I had a big washy 22" 1950's A Zildjian ride with a 3 rivet cluster that I bought in a pawn shop with money from my first job. I think I paid 55.00 dollars for it. I remember my drum instructor drooling over it & telling me how great 50's A Zildjians were, while specifically stating "Never sell this ride!" I sold it a year later at a yard sale. I should have listened to him.

After all these years, I really miss my first ever professional kit that my parents bought me in 1978. A black Slingerland kit (standard 5-piece with chrome snare and single-headed toms (12,13,16). Had I taken care of it it would be a really good gigging kit today still!

But it went in for trade for my next set, Tama Superstars in 1984 - miss those two. Everything since then I don't miss oddly enough. But I feel the bubingas I play now have made a connection with me and I plan on keeping these.

My Noble & Cooley Star Series Solid Maple Kit #10 of 23 made. Sold it back in 1993 and have been trying to get another one ever since. Just lost out on #7 of 23 on ebay last week. It sold for $4,500.

Attachments

• N&C.jpg
    N&C.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 571
My 1964 champagne sparkle Gretsch be-bop kit. Got it for my first real drum set in 1970 as a gift from my pop.
Kept it til 1984 when I decided that it was just to frumpy.. sold it for $150

Regret passing on a 1965 Rogers Holiday 4 pc with Zildjian ks and a Dynasonic snare for $150 at about the same time.!!!!

my tama lars ulrich bell-brass (even though it almost payed for my dw-set.)
paiste signature 14 sound-edge(to aggressive & loud, but very nice hats)
tama starclassic performer/maple hybrid in honey/amber gold (loved those drums, but had bills)

1. 5x14 Ludwig Pioneer snare from 1963 in Blue Duco. Got it with my first drumkit and it all cost me $225. Had to sell it to pay bills. Later saw it on a shelf at Music 6000, cleaned up and tagged for sale at $600. Even worse... I don't have a good, unobstructed picture of it. Saw another one (same color) for sale on Craigslist a few months ago and came -that- close to pulling the trigger.... but not yet.
2. Paiste 14" Sound Vader hi-hats. For whatever reason, Paiste makes great entry level cymbals and these were great rock hats. (Not as great as I thought, though - see #4.)
3. (believe it or not) Pearl CX-300 ride. For $40 you don't expect a cymbal to sound this decent. I scrubbed the logo off and people thought it was a brilliant 20" Avedis Ping Ride or Medium ride, it sounded that good (not like the crap Pearl makes now).
4. Played a set of 13" New Beats for about a year on a community kit, was offered them for $120, and said no thanks, I have my Sound Vaders. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

LOL, who needs New Beats when you've got Sound Vaders! And, I see those blue duco pioneers on Ebay quite a bit, and rarely for over 200$.

Back