Axis Universal Drive shaft or Dw heavy duty linkage?

Does anyone know if either the Axis universal drive shaft or the Dw heavy duty linkage will help relieve the slack,backlash, latency or less reponse i feel with my dw 5000 slave pedal(I've fiddled around with spring tension and other various settings but nothing seems to help).

I see that the Dw linkage includes heavy duty ball bearing universals, and it seems the regular linkage that comes with both 5000's and 9000's do not. (If these will help remove the slack ect.)

Does anyone know if either the Axis universal drive shaft or the Dw heavy duty linkage will help relieve the slack,backlash, latency or less reponse i feel with my dw 5000 slave pedal(I've fiddled around with spring tension and other various settings but nothing seems to help).

I see that the Dw linkage includes heavy duty ball bearing universals, and it seems the regular linkage that comes with both 5000's and 9000's do not. (If these will help remove the slack ect.)

Makes you wonder why the BB shaft isn't standard issue on the 9000, but that would mean all their other shafts are crap (which they are). Sell em crap for top dollar then make em pay to upgrade, sounds profitable to me.

The industry-standard, industry-leading line of 9000 Series hardware is our most popular. -- from the DW site.

The industry standard ships out with a feeble pin and block connecting shaft? What a joke.

It could be DW feels people are OK with paying top dollar and getting the lesser connector, which is insulting to the people.

Picked below are a couple other accessories DW can sell you.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,610
Im sorry but that does not answer the question haha

Nobody's for certain what you mean by slack,backlash, latency or less response, for all we know your shoelaces could be too loose.

Whatever trouble you're having will probably be lessened by a decent driveshaft, which is 'anything but' what DW includes with their top dollar 9000 pedal.

So spend the extra cash on a DW BB, which will eventually wear out as ball bearings do, or invest in a lifetime shaft from AXIS which even if it becomes loose, can be user tightened to factory specs.

DW uses a 1/4" square driveshaft connector, where other pedals use a "half-moon" end. Will the Axis shaft work with the DW pedals?

I have a dw9000 double pedal with an Axis Universal Drive shaft. I developed a ton of slack/play in TWO dw linkages before getting a used axis. The axis has held up fine for the 3+ years I've had it. I love the 9000's but wasn't satisfied until I threw the axis on it. Worth it IMO.

Soo i recently purchased the Axis Universal drive shaft, threw it on my dw 5000 pedal and the slave still feels the same. The pedal just doesn't have the same response and return as the regular pedal, thought this drive shaft would help.

Soo i recently purchased the Axis Universal drive shaft, threw it on my dw 5000 pedal and the slave still feels the same. The pedal just doesn't have the same response and return as the regular pedal, thought this drive shaft would help.

At least now you have a quality drive shaft, not the stock DW garbage. Keep the AXIS, it'll last the rest of your life and fit on just about any other pedal you upgrade to in the future, so its money well spent on a lifetime piece of gear.

Nice on the up-grade. Try a DW HEAVY spring on the slave pedal (or both sides).
That might make the difference you need.
The standard springs they (and most other makers) have on their pedals seems real light to me, but maybe people don't mind them, or like them.

I just get better action on a pedal if the spring is heavier duty. I don't need to have it real tight, but the action after the stroke is better to me with a heavier spring.

I upgraded to the Heavy duty spring a while ago, and there is still no difference. It's obviously the pedals i just want more information as to what part of the pedal causes this problem and what the more expensive pedals have that help this problem.

I upgraded to the Heavy duty spring a while ago, and there is still no difference. It's obviously the pedals i just want more information as to what part of the pedal causes this problem and what the more expensive pedals have that help this problem.

Try cleaning your bearings and the heal plate hinge.

DW just isn't a responsive pedal, they're heavy and slow. The 5000 line is a way old design.

have you adjusted the throw of both pedals? When I put the Axis shaft on my 9k's it took a few days to dial them in perfectly.

The slave of most double pedals will always feel lesser than the primary pedal, owing to the extra moving mass and cam effect of the drive shaft when angled. It also has to do with your left foot being weaker because it hasn;t been called upon to play kick as much as the right.

The Axis u-joints are fantastic but even they can develop a bit of slack over time. This is OK because unlike other makers driveshafts, the Axis is user fixable for that slack. You only need to throw the drive shaft in the oven at 250 degrees (F) for about 10 minutes to soften the LockTite in the allen bolts so you can tighten them down a bit more to remove the slack. I have had to do this exactly once in three years of rigorous use. WEAR OVEN MITTS to do this!!! :)

The Axis double pedals do not suffer the difference in feel between right and left anywhere near as much as many of the other pedals out there.

The slave of most double pedals will always feel lesser than the primary pedal, owing to the extra moving mass and cam effect of the drive shaft when angled. It also has to do with your left foot being weaker because it hasn;t been called upon to play kick as much as the right.

The Axis u-joints are fantastic but even they can develop a bit of slack over time. This is OK because unlike other makers driveshafts, the Axis is user fixable for that slack. You only need to throw the drive shaft in the oven at 250 degrees (F) for about 10 minutes to soften the LockTite in the allen bolts so you can tighten them down a bit more to remove the slack. I have had to do this exactly once in three years of rigorous use. WEAR OVEN MITTS to do this!!! :)

The Axis double pedals do not suffer the difference in feel between right and left anywhere near as much as many of the other pedals out there.

About those AXIS u-joints, try 325 degrees for 10 min, and there's a trick to tightening the LocTite correctly. I've done quite a few UDS' and a few heel blocks and have found what works best and what doesn't.

About those AXIS u-joints, try 325 degrees for 10 min, and there's a trick to tightening the LocTite correctly. I've done quite a few UDS' and a few heel blocks and have found what works best and what doesn't.

What happens with the heel block that needs adjustments?

Back