What Is The Deal With These Silly Reading/Technique Threads?

I shared this story already once before where Rich supposedly fired dad over some kind of nonsense then turned around and paid an entire semester of his university tuition without asking.

I've heard similar things from various people. He did a lot of people a lot of good turns. I guess I'd have to agree, he had a complex personality. A few less desirable moments mixed with some pretty amazingly kind moments.

BTW You know Stickit was an excellent Buddy Rich album, probably my favorite of the RCA series. That "Time Being" was a sensational chart.

I haven't heard Stickit but Time Being is one hell of an album. Little Train is one of my all time favorite charts. Paul's Tune is also fairly tasty. The only tracks on that album I've been able to play with a band are Space Shuttle, Straight no Chaser and Dancing Men.

Sorry to state this again, but surely only those who can read are qualified to discuss reading??? I would not challenge a person on Mandarin if I did not speak Mandarin. Seriously. I challenge any person to speak of the negative conotations of speaking Mandarin in China.

Sorry to state this again, but surely only those who can read are qualified to discuss reading??? I would not challenge a person on Mandarin if I did not speak Mandarin. Seriously. I challenge any person to speak of the negative conotations of speaking Mandarin in China.

Just covering my back, I can read the basics, believe it or not, I learnt the introductions to swing and samba through reading music but i have never developed it.

Urgh all of this is actually making me want to read properly, I might just start.

Damn you Drummerworld, damn you!

No problems man. I knew it was a misunderstanding.

Hey Average, I'm pretty sure Time Being was a cut on the Stick it album, unless there was some kind of compilation issued later called Time Being

I think Time Being the song was originally released on 'Rich in London' but its hard to tell for sure. Time Being the album I think was released as a compilation by RCA in 1987. Its totally worth a listen, just for Little Train alone.

Here ya go, funny, I see everyone in the band but Buddy with sheet music, go figure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYubfQt7s3o

You do know Buddy Rich's background? How many of today's musicians can have that kind of life? Not many, therefore we practice our asses off, and part of that process is learning to read so that the practice would be more optimal. So that we could have even a slightest of chance to catch up with Riches of the world.

What if I told you that I don't particularly enjoy the music Buddy Rich played. Who would be the next person you would quote on this matter?

Sometimes I wonder how many of the Buddy Rich legends are even 100% true.

"Buddy Rich never took lessons"...

"Buddy Rich never practiced"...

"Buddy Rich couldn't read music"...

etc. etc. etc.

All of these legends about Buddy lead us to the same conclusion that Buddy was an absolute freak of nature with no rational explanation for any of his skills. Might it be possible that some of these legends are a bit exaggerated, maybe even by Buddy himself? I seem to remember Joe Morello saying that the legend of Buddy never practicing was complete nonsense. It makes me wonder if the same might be the case for some of the other Buddy legends. I guess the joke would really be on us if Buddy actually was a whiz at reading! I'm not saying that is the case because I honestly don't know. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't rule it out as an impossibility.

You do know Buddy Rich's background? How many of today's musicians can have that kind of life? Not many, therefore we practice our asses off, and part of that process is learning to read so that the practice would be more optimal. So that we could have even a slightest of chance to catch up with Riches of the world.

What if I told you that I don't particularly enjoy the music Buddy Rich played. Who would be the next person you would quote on this matter?

Well, I only posted the video because young Matt said he learned from Buddy that it was important to have music while you were playing.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the Buddy Rich legends are even 100% true.

"Buddy Rich never took lessons"...

"Buddy Rich never practiced"...

"Buddy Rich couldn't read music"...

etc. etc. etc.

Here is John La Barbera's take on the Buddy myths:

"At the risk of further popularizing a certain piece of underground trash, I would like to address the notorious Buddy Rich "scream tape" that has become "gospel" in the history of the "World's Greatest Drummer."

First of all let me say that having worked with just about every version of Buddy's band (as player, arranger, confidant, or producer) including the one on the tape, these kids got off easy, to say the least.

Yes indeed that's Buddy spewing put-downs and obscenities at a few of his band members and yes, on its own, the tape paints the fearless leader as a foul-mouth bully. And yes, in today's politically correct world, Buddy certainly wouldn't win any "manager of the month" awards, but keep in mind that we're talking about the music business, specifically the big band jazz world and Deming's management techniques don't wash in this world. Every band Buddy ever had was subject to his brand of leadership and, just like the real world, one either learned from these experiences and got stronger or washed out.

I joined Buddy Rich's band as a trumpet player in January of 1968 and still look back at that period as one of the highlights of my career. For a trumpet player freshly groomed at Berklee School of Music, Buddy's band represented the pinnacle of success and it was the beginning of a musical education that I could never have acquired within the confines of academia. Some lessons sink in right away and others take some time. Here's a sample of one of my more memorable lessons.

After a month at the Sands in Las Vegas and a whirlwind schedule of record dates in L.A., gigs with Sergio Mendes, and others, we embarked on a European tour with Tony Bennett. That in itself could be a mini-series but I'll concentrate on Buddy.

Because Buddy's previous tour with just the band (1967) wasn't well received (according to the bookers), it was decided by the agents that Buddy's new band could be best introduced to the British audiences by coupling him with a known quantity, Tony. The band opened the shows for the first set and Bennett would do the closer. It was a phenomenal combination and Buddy's reputation (as a bandleader) blossomed. Every night being sold out added to the excitement of the crowd and the band. The band had the highest respect for Tony (rare for a singer) and the quality of the performance. When he sang Robert Farnon's Country Girl with just the accompaniment of John Bunch's piano, the house was absolutely silent and we literally held our breath during this segment of the show.

In the middle of our tour we hit Birmingham (then quite the working class town) and Buddy pulled out all the stops to win over this tough audience. I can't remember all the charts he called but I know he ended with the West Side Story medley and it was a smash with the crowd. As an encore he called "Love For Sale" and if you aren't familiar with the chart, suffice it to say that there is a drum break before a modulation that has become somewhat of a signature for Buddy. His lightning speed roll in this break has been copied (or should I say attempted) by just about every big band drummer I know.

That night he blew the break. Totally blew it and stopped the band. We were in shock. Having never experienced this before, we just looked around at each other. The audience was deadly silent. Buddy yelled to Pat (my brother acted as musical director at times because Buddy couldn't read music) "pick it up before the break." Pat yelled out the appropriate rehearsal number and we were off again. As you can well imagine, this time he nailed it and the audience went nuts. I wouldn't have wanted to be Tony trying to follow that. But this isn't the end of the story.

Years later Buddy and I were hanging out in his Lincoln Plaza apartment one night after a gig trying to find something edible in his refrigerator. Not as Spartan as Mel's (Torme) but still few choices so we did the usual, ordered take out from Patsy's (Buddy & Sinatra's favorite eatery since the late 40's). While we waited for the delivery I reminded him of that night in Birmingham and casually asked, "Buddy, did you blow that fill on purpose for the show business value or did you really blow it?" What came next was probably the most intense "lecture" I've ever received from him.

After he cooled off he told me never in his professional career did he ever give less than 100 % and the idea of shortchanging the music for a cheap shot would be akin to artistic murder. We talked about his early days and the necessity for professionalism in all aspects of playing (and writing). I wish I had a tape recording of that talk!

The more I thought about this, the easier it was for me to understand many of his "moods" and "tantrums" when players didn't give their all. I'm sure that was the case with those on the receiving end on that famous tape. So if someone brings up the infamous Buddy Rich "scream tape" to you, be aware that those particular band members got off easy. I just hope they learned something."

So did I understand this correctly, Buddy didn't need to be able to read since he had a guy do it for him. =P So if you are in that position, then by all means go for it. =P

May I suggest the young Matt Smith, after all he already thinks he's the second coming....he, he

Juat a joke Matt, take it as a compliment.

BTW, does anyone know if this guy can read?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWQ5pSWvK5g

News alert.....

I see a pattern now folks i've seen before...... a very sad one at that.

Hey Stickit are you a previously banned member who's come back under another name with the same old baggage in tow? It is the internet of "hidden faces" after all and I have no idea who you are.

Just asking cause something starting to smell real funny here in a old familiar way to me....thanks :}

Oh no you didn't just do that...

(Seriously, I should have expected that one to be the next logical choice for a weapon... But I didn't, and now I'm giggling.)

I'm actually not the biggest Neil Peart fan, I'm just curious.

Matt, I didn't mean anything by my statement about you being the second coming, I apologize, I thought it was funny at the time, but now realize it was a bit derrogatory. You are a fine drummer and should be proud of your accomplishments. Deep down, I wish I had persued more in my musical education.

Last edited:
So did I understand this correctly, Buddy didn't need to be able to read since he had a guy do it for him. =P So if you are in that position, then by all means go for it. =P

Well, no. He couldn't read so he had to have another drummer run down new arrangements. Sammy Nestico talked about bringing some new arrangements to Rich's band and how RIch would listen to the arrangement once and then get on the drums and nail it cold.

Back