Numbness in delicate region when I drum...

Duckenheimer

It's only started in the last couple of weeks, between the legs. Not the legs at all, or any other part, just the meat and sometimes the two veg. I have recently got a new stool as my other was in tatters, it's a Yamaha, not sure what kind but it's not heavy duty. It happens within a few minutes of being in playing position. I've tried sitting closer, further and lower (I normally sit fairly high) to little avail. I tried a thick massive cushion on the stool that seemed to work but was rather unwieldy. I have no back pain or any twinges.

I'm reduced to transcribing and pad work - which is fine, but this doesn't happen any other time, is really affecting my playing and concentration behind the kit, I really need to work on my legs and continue jamming, but I don't want to cause/exacerbate any injury! Help?

Do you sit w/ a wallet in your pocket? If so remove it and anything else. With me, the wallet presses on a certain nerve that is uncomfortable to say the least

Am I correct in saying that you didn't have the problem before you got the new throne?
If that is so then it seems that the throne is your issue. It doesn't agree with you.
Does your new throne have a motorcycle style seat?
Were you using a round throne before?

Do you sit w/ a wallet in your pocket? If so remove it and anything else. With me, the wallet presses on a certain nerve that is uncomfortable to say the least

Nah, I don't have anything in my pockets.

Am I correct in saying that you didn't have the problem before you got the new throne?
If that is so then it seems that the throne is your issue. It doesn't agree with you.
Does your new throne have a motorcycle style seat?
Were you using a round throne before?

Yes, you are. They are both round thrones. I've had the new one for maybe a month or two. This one's seat is maybe about half an inch smaller than the last one (which was a cheap Pearl with a slightly harder seat).

May I suggest a slightly larger seat or maybe even one of those Roc-n-soc style seats? You said you've had this new throne for about a month and these symptoms just recently began. It may not be the throne and your body is now telling you something.
Perhaps a visit to a sports doctor with the throne and he can look at how you're sitting and suggest what could be going on. Circulation is being cut off in an area now, and it may not be the throne - if it was, it would've happened right away when you got the throne.

OK, Because the new throne is round I think that you may be sitting a bit too high up.
Try adjusting the height so that your thighs are just slightly higher than your knees.
Only about 1/2 to 1 inch higher.
Experiment with that and see what happens.
It is also possible that you may have a Hernia or other medical condition.

Have your prostrate looked at.

Good advice. Go get the whole deal checked out. Numbness, even when apparently linked to a certain activity, is not something you ignor for long. Sometimes the numbness is coincidental, and my be due to something unrelated to drumming or posture. It's most likely something benign like a trapped nerve or similar, but you never know until you check it out.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I dropped my seat and the problem is less frequent but still comes and goes, but going any lower (knees slightly below parallel heels down, or about parallel heel up) is less comfortable and makes no difference.

I think part of the problem might have been the amount of time spent on a throne that, tbh, I didn't find very comfortable when I first got it, and I spend a lot of time practising, maybe hence the accumulation of numbness rather than it straight away. But I'll see a doctor anyway, and have decided to invest in a decent throne once and for all!

It is a good Idea to get checked out if the problem persist.

I have found that the Motorcycle style throne with a backrest is the best.
A good shaped seat will have a contour that fits your body better.
The backrest allows you to play better without stress on your back.

I don't know how old you are but it's never to early to support your back.

Several months ago I bought a round Roc N Soc throne that was larger in diameter than the thrones I usually use. After playing for 20 to 30 minutes I started loosing feeling in my upper legs. I found that the larger diameter was cutting blood flow. I can use just about any seat, but this one in particular just didn't work for me. I returned it for a Tama throne.

Dennis

Back