Flaming Drum Sticks

Actually, I've been experimenting with various methods and materials over the past day or two and after trying heaps of different things with different fuels, I've come to the conclusion of not doing it with the cymbals, and wrapping a small piece of felt which has been soaked in methylated spirits onto the shoulder of the stick and then strips of dish washing cloth wrapped around that to hold it in place securely. I have tested it 3 times, and it seems to work well because as it is metho, it has a cooler flame (i can hold my hand in the flame for 5seconds before I feel any pain, so its pretty cool) and it is easily put out by blowing on it. And just to try everything, i even emptied an entire bottle of metho onto a cymbal and one of my old snare drums and set them alight to see how fast/easily I could put them out with no fire extinguisher or fire blanket... answer, 10seconds, with hands, rapid tapping on the flames (come on we are drummers, we know we are fast lol) smothered them pretty good.

I think if you seriously want to experiment with this sort of stuff you should check out what torch jugglers are doing and what kind of legal stuff they have to deal with. They have these specially designed torches and I think most use some sort of lamp oil to fuel them, it doesn't burn too hot, even if you catch it from the wrong end (you will get a blister though if not carefull). In my coutry, most juggling acts involving fire are performed outside.

Some information to begin with -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torch_(juggling)

I would find another way of impressing the fans. Maybe with something like, uh drum skills. There's an idea.

i think you should go for it, just be careful, think ahead, don't keep it a secret, and practice this! i don't think you will end up in jail, lighting to drum sticks on fire is hardly "pyrotechnics"
honestly i think you might have a hard time keeping them lit
if you have that fire blanket and a friend with a fire extinguisher i think you will be ok.

While it may not be considered pyrotechniques there are laws about open flames in venues and flaming drumsticks would definitely be an open flame.

I'll be honest unless you have an experienced pyrotechnician to work with I would not try this. While you've seen videos of your favorite big acts doing this they have a professional who has years of knowledge on how to attempt this. This is just a recipe for disaster and you really run the risk of burning yourself bad, would hate to see you have to give up playing because you tried a sideshow trick to impress the audience and ended up with second and third degree burns.

If you watched the Great white video that alone should be enough to make you not want to do it.

Guarantee if you do decide to do this and don't inform the venue and get the proper permits from the firemarshall you could be in some serious trouble

100 people died as a result of professionally demonstrated pyrotechnics in a club in Rhode Island where Great White was playing. The event was put on by professionals who felt they had all the right things in place for safety, but the end result was still 100 people dead.

While that probably is not likely to happen in your instance, it is still a risk you take all for 10 seconds of hooplah to make yourself look better.

Considering that there are other ways to make yourself look better on stage, like actually playing well, you might consider an alternative to the flaming sticks idea. Perhaps lighted drumsticks as you can get from the link below...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...ci_sku=9296978&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218079341730

They used totally different stuff than what I'm talking about using. Their's was all over the place and had a large area of effect, this is simply a small amount of fire on shoulder of my sticks. I have a non-flammable paint that will not catch fire and reflects heat. In the great white accident, they did not have alot of room and there were far more factors there that led to what happened, flammable wall coverings, booze, lack of exit's... The place where I'm trying to attempt this is on a pretty big stage, I will have 3-4 metres on all sides of my kit where it will be just stage floor and 4-5 metres up where it will be clear air; Now keeping that in mind, The flames dont really have any means of touching anything flammable unless I throw them ^.^, What i'm suggesting is 1000% more controlled than what great white used and in a more controlled environment, there will be no booze or anything like that and I will have a trained fireman standing by with a fire extinguisher lol, and in my part of Australia, all you need is to consult the fire dept.

And for those wondering if I was going to do it as a surprise, it'd only be a surprise for the audience, the venue has already said yes lol

They used totally different stuff than what I'm talking about using. Their's was all over the place and had a large area of effect, this is simply a small amount of fire on shoulder of my sticks. I have a non-flammable paint that will not catch fire and reflects heat. In the great white accident, they did not have alot of room and there were far more factors there that led to what happened, flammable wall coverings, booze, lack of exit's... The place where I'm trying to attempt this is on a pretty big stage, I will have 3-4 metres on all sides of my kit where it will be just stage floor and 4-5 metres up where it will be clear air; Now keeping that in mind, The flames dont really have any means of touching anything flammable unless I throw them ^.^, What i'm suggesting is 1000% more controlled than what great white used and in a more controlled environment, there will be no booze or anything like that and I will have a trained fireman standing by with a fire extinguisher lol, and in my part of Australia, all you need is to consult the fire dept.

And for those wondering if I was going to do it as a surprise, it'd only be a surprise for the audience, the venue has already said yes lol

When you are talking about fire there is no such thing as a control that's an illusion of a thought. Venue may have approved it but I still wouldn't do it, too many risks that don't need to be taken for a 10 second stunt.

You better get it in writing. Law suits are a bi_ch. Still don't think it's worth the risk for a few seconds of ego.

That's what I was thinking. Doesn't anyone just play their drums anymore?

Yeah, me lol! It's just something I wanna do to make it a bit of a special show since it's the lead guitarists 21st birthday on the day of the gig.

Yeah, me lol! It's just something I wanna do to make it a bit of a special show since it's the lead guitarists 21st birthday on the day of the gig.

Skip the pyro solo and buy him a beer instead. That's all I wanted on my 21st...

I agree. Even though it didn't go awry this time doesn't mean it is safe.

I guess the big question is - Did this trick make you win the talent competition?

Jeff

we didnt win, wasnt really hoping to, we just like to impress the audience and do different things to other local bands ^.^

And well It was pretty safe, had a fella next to me with a fire extinguisher just incase, that was incentive enough not to stuff up haha. But I mean like the fire was contained on the sticks and can be put out my blowing on it, if you watch the vid you'll see that my right stick goes out by itself towards the end because I was using it too much. I know it wouldnt be safe if the curtains were flammable and there were other things around you on the stage that could catch alight, but it IS safe if you do your homework about the venue and see whether there are flammable objects/surfaces on or near the stage, a bit of risk assessment if you will, to decide whether to do it again or not. ^.^

An amateur would probably stuff it up, but if you actually learn all the aspects of what you want to do and take the proper precautions, it is perfectly safe ^.^

we didnt win, wasnt really hoping to, we just like to impress the audience and do different things to other local bands ^.^

And well It was pretty safe, had a fella next to me with a fire extinguisher just incase, that was incentive enough not to stuff up haha. But I mean like the fire was contained on the sticks and can be put out my blowing on it, if you watch the vid you'll see that my right stick goes out by itself towards the end because I was using it too much. I know it wouldnt be safe if the curtains were flammable and there were other things around you on the stage that could catch alight, but it IS safe if you do your homework about the venue and see whether there are flammable objects/surfaces on or near the stage, a bit of risk assessment if you will, to decide whether to do it again or not. ^.^

An amateur would probably stuff it up, but if you actually learn all the aspects of what you want to do and take the proper precautions, it is perfectly safe ^.^

That's a shame, I'd rather enter to win and not just for a chance to show off.

That's a shame, I'd rather enter to win and not just for a chance to show off.

haha the judges hate heavy metal, we knew we had no chance of winning, it was all just to show off to our little fan base and have fun lol :).

Back