Evans EC2 with EC1 resonsant heads?

Max99

Hey. I was thinking about trying this, I thought the two may complement each other since they both focus the lower end of the drum. Has anyone tried this before?
Thanks

I've used EC2 with EC Resonants and liked the sound, though it's pretty controlled.

With the EC1 being four mil thicker than the EC Reso I'm not really sure if that would be a good thing or not. The EC1 is a pretty stiff head.

I have some experience with these.

Currently using: EC2 Coated heads (batter) and EC Resonants on the bottom.
Was using: EC2 Clear (batter) and EC1 Clear (Reso)

My current head configuration seems to gives me a more focused sound and very nice projection with better bottom end. Plus a much warmer sound.

Hope this helps a bit.

RJ

I've used the EC1s as batters but not resos. They are a very dark sounding head with a lot of sustain (they're 14mil). I would imagine that coupled with the EC2s you'd have a quite dark sound with lots of sustain--if that's what you want, have fun.

If you'd like some of the sustain but not such a dark sound, try the G-plus clears as resos. I use them to add sustain to individual toms that need it.

That is the first combo I tried on my Sonor 3007's and I got a great sound out of them. I still have the EC1's as my reso, but I switched to clear G2's on the batters.

I re-headed my Sonor kit with EC2 batter and EC Resonate, they sound pretty good but feel they would be best in the studio. I put my other set of batter heads on (Remo coated pinstripe) and kept the resonates on and they really helped bring out the roar without the ring. So I guess I'm saying the reso's are very good but for my kit the batters did not seem to really shine the way I hoped. It can be frustrating because until you put them on and really give them a good workout you can not tell how they will sound with your kit, the quality is there from both companies but it will depend on what your playing them on.
Ces't la vie, This is a little off topic but I have been playing a set of vintage 70's Yamaha at a reheasal space for rent and you know those guys rarly change the heads but I got the impression that no matter what you put on them that they would sound killer. With all the money I have spent on experimenting with various heads over the last 10 years I very likley could have bought the step up to the top line kit in my brand choice and would not have to worry about the heads so much. Six of one, half dozen of the other.There is a life lesson there, never give up the punt for the pole.

what the heck is that in your avatar Bruce???

But seriously, I agree - if you have decent bearing edges and have done your
homework on tuning you can make almost any head combo sound good.

Then it comes down to a matter of taste - do you like longer or shorter sustain,
high or low tuning, overtones or no overtones etc. etc... and a LOT of that has to do with tuning.

heck I've heard of people that like the sound of pinstripes over pinstripes....
or hydrolics over hydrolics....although to me that sounds like a recipe for THUNK/THUD..... as they say,
don't knock til you've tried it....

Experiment experiment experiment.....it's part of the joy of drumming!

I've used EC2 with EC Resonants and liked the sound, though it's pretty controlled.

With the EC1 being four mil thicker than the EC Reso I'm not really sure if that would be a good thing or not. The EC1 is a pretty stiff head.

I'm using EC2 over G-Plus, I like the sound very much. Especially the larger toms, they have a nice boomey sound now.

what the heck is that in your avatar Bruce???

It's the album cover from Gentle Giant's album 'Octopus'. The artwork is by Roger Dean (who did most of the Yes album covers) and is the UK version of the album. Back in the day, for us GG fans, getting an import copy of 'Octopus' with the Roger Dean cover was like hitting the lottery.

Kevin

Back