Bad drumming :]

Welcome!

I have to admit, when your video opens with a Marshal half stack on one side and a large bass amp on the other, I was expecting to see two other players with you!

However, at 9 months I'd say you're coming along nicely. Groove gets a little shaky here and there but that's ok. The video doesn't get close enough to see what your hands are doing so I hope you're working on some snare drum hand technique as well. As a kid, I too, just started 'playing' and only years later did I find a teacher who helped me fix alot of mistakes I was doing. And this isn't because there's a 'right way' or a 'wrong way' to do things, it was to be more efficient and to put less strain on the body and hands in order to play. Had I continued down the 'bad technique' path, my career may have been cut short by injury!

But thanks for sharing your playing - keep it up!

Well i have other video's of us playing together, just didnt think i should post them.

But as you were saying about the snare work, i play around with ghost notes and a few rudiments from time to time, but i dont really have a practice pad, i practice on a pillow while at home. I usually only get about 5 hours of actual play a week, and thats the way its been since i started last November, it frustrates me but at least i get to play.

Maybe have a little advice for you: Maybe you can experiment with untighten your wingnut of the crash a little, so when you ride on the crash it doesn't move so much.

I actually never thought of doing that, it always seemed logical that if it was tighter it wouldnt move as much. Ill try that out. Thanks for the tip :]

Very good for the style you play and for how long you've been playing. Of course, this is not too tight of great, but as I said, for as long as you've been playing, this shows excellent promise, and by only tightening up what you've already got, you'll have a decent set of skills.

Fox.

Very good for the style you play and for how long you've been playing. Of course, this is not too tight of great, but as I said, for as long as you've been playing, this shows excellent promise, and by only tightening up what you've already got, you'll have a decent set of skills.

Fox.

I said 9 months, but really thats how long ive owned a kit, actual practice and playing time would only amount to 3 months total i believe.

Thanks for your kind words fox.

Justin.

HOWEVER, I just saw your post, and if you like Gavin Harrison's playing, you're going to have to go through a ton more of musical styles and techniques to get a similar sound. Are you sure metal's your thing?

Fox.

For a beginner who likes a drummer that fascinates with complex grooves and chops, my advice is don't ever forget the basics!! Because the basics are like 90% of what every great drummer - including Gavin Harrison - mastered, and it's what made them get so far, it's what makes them groove and sound great, and it's what gets them jobs.

The basics include groove, time, sound and touch, diversity in volume and style, and musicality.

Back