G.A.S. (GAS) Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a terrible thing.

Ekim

Silver Member
Someone needs to start a foundation to find a dang cure already.

I spend far too much money on gear.

HELP ME!

A mortgage and/or wife, is what's required.......granted, it's not a cure, but it helps limit the damage to the bank account.

Mrs Pocket is as abrasive as a pair of hessian underwear when she spots me with a plastic bag with a drum store logo on it. Problem (almost) solved!!

:)

This too, will pass. It will either happen when you realize you're carrying too much stuff around for a gig (if you're gigging), or when you realize that nobody really cares what you have - they just need a guy with a set of drums, or when you realize the music doesn't call for anything more than a good player!

Good luck with that, though!

I guess looking at it that way is different. If you don't know what you want, then you should research what's out there so you can make a choice. But I think that's different from just buying stuff for the sake of having it, which is what I think GAS is.

I've been around drums for so long, that I can kinda' guess what piece of gear will give me what I want, and then I make it do so. But I noticed over the years that my sets look more and more like sets displayed in a catalog (like the Ludwig Big Beat 5-piece with only a ride and crash and hats) but I'll add a cowbell in the traditional spot. And any size drums that are there, I'll make 'em work.

I just subscribed to what Louie Bellson said years ago at a clinic he gave: "If you can't say what you gotta say with a bass, snare and a couple of toms, then you might as well go home". Of course, it's kinda' ironic that he'd say that, Mr. Double Bass and all, but that guy, like Buddy Rich and other greats, can swing a trash can and it'll sound great!

This too, will pass. It will either happen when you realize you're carrying too much stuff around for a gig (if you're gigging), or when you realize that nobody really cares what you have - they just need a guy with a set of drums, or when you realize the music doesn't call for anything more than a good player!

Good luck with that, though!

That didn't work for me.

Because after that, I turned to recording gear, a small PA, endless software updates, mics, bigger-better-faster computer, more software, and gawddangit I still need a bass drum mic!

I suppose technically, one's over-acquisition of gear is the subconscious' way of saying "This isn't fitting right, we need to try something new to get it that way".

For instance, if I had a bunch of Pearl C-1000 stands, I'd be cool, because I like straight stands and they'd be perfect for gigging.

Then again, humans are naturally greedy, so I suppose it takes maturity, self-control, and various other positive character traits to cure this horrible disease.

We must find the cure!

@Drumeatdrum:

I did that too. I'm lucky to work for a company that lets me play with stuff like that. And knowing what it takes to do my job well, I know I couldn't afford it for myself, so I leave it at work nowadays!

That didn't work for me.

Because after that, I turned to recording gear, a small PA, endless software updates, mics, bigger-better-faster computer, more software, and gawddangit I still need a bass drum mic!

+1 some of you guys are lucky you only play drums! I've got recording gear, PCs, guitar stuff, bass stuff as well as all the drum stuff to look out for!!!

+1 some of you guys are lucky you only play drums! I've got recording gear, PCs, guitar stuff, bass stuff as well as all the drum stuff to look out for!!!

Recording gear, Macs, mics, software plug ins, PA system, 4 guitars, 3 guitar amps, bass, bass head and cab, congas, bongos, djembe, djun djun, cajon, marimba, xylophone, vibraphone, glockenspiel, concert bass drums, timpani, and tons of percussion "toys" here. Oh, and a wife who rolls her eyes and just looks the other way anymore. :D

I would like to further clarify the definition of G.A.S. to mean "above and beyond what you actually need". If I had 2 concert marimbas and only played solo gigs, then that would qualify as G.A.S. I don't really NEED my 13 snares, though, but I DO use them, but it still qualifies as G.A.S. Don't get me started on cymbals...

Recording gear, Macs, mics, software plug ins, PA system, 4 guitars, 3 guitar amps, bass, bass head and cab, congas, bongos, djembe, djun djun, cajon, marimba, xylophone, vibraphone, glockenspiel, concert bass drums, timpani, and tons of percussion "toys" here. Oh, and a wife who rolls her eyes and just looks the other way anymore. :D

I would like to further clarify the definition of G.A.S. to mean "above and beyond what you actually need". If I had 2 concert marimbas and only played solo gigs, then that would qualify as G.A.S. I don't really NEED my 13 snares, though, but I DO use them, but it still qualifies as G.A.S. Don't get me started on cymbals...

You have 13 snares?! Wow! And I'd love to see a picture of those cymbals of yours.

I guess quit working and then you can only trade gear.....??

no really.....had to post again before bed cause my post count was very dark.

I'd take a "family portrait", but they are scattered around town...some in a studio, others in another studio, some in a practice space, and I'm actually letting a buddy borrow a set at the moment. Maybe someday, though...

Nice man, let me know when you do.

Just found out the cymbal I want is $600 in my local drum shop, and that is by no means the most expensive crash in the brand. I earn a fair bit from my job but between keeping a car running, and spending money on things to do with my girlfriend, it's bloody hard scraping that together. I think I'll be getting some shipping from America done :p

The first step is admitting you have a problem...

Yes you can probably tell by my sig that I had that problem.

The easy way to overcome it is to buy what is necessary. And then don't visit any drum shops or websites that advertise drum products unless you have the will power to not buy anything. I've really had to fight hard to do this but it's paying off!

Wow, I thought I was bad with 8 snares (not counting the one that came with my Rhythm Traveller) and another on the way.

And something like seven rides with another I really want to mail order.

Wow, I thought I was bad with 8 snares (not counting the one that came with my Rhythm Traveller) and another on the way.

And something like seven rides with another I really want to mail order.

You ARE bad! Don't compare yourself to me to make yourself feel better! :D

I remember reading a magazine where somebody said, "You really need 4 snares: a shallow metal snare, a deep metal snare, a shallow wood snare, and a deep wood snare..." and thinking to myself, "Gosh! That's a LOT of snares!"

...but, that was then. I only have one snare that I haven't used in the last 6 months, and I'm using it for a session in a couple weeks. Don't even get me started on cymbals.

Back