How much "stuff" do you bring to the gig?

KBadd

Silver Member
I bring my 6 piece Mapex with 4 Zil's plus HH (and a DW dbl pedal case), a Yamaha 88 key Piano/Synth with a stool and stand (plus Simmons DA200.....great key amp....but mic it), 2 monitors, 2 main speakers with "on stage" stands with the board and all the cables, 4 Audix FP4 drum mics with a Zenyx 1202 preamp, 5 vocal mics/cables, 6 mic boom stands, 2 bags of extension cords, and my music stand.

Do your band mates help you set up the mains, mics, mic stands, connecting cables, etc etc??

Last edited:
I help the guitar player load the pa at his house because I live near by.
I bring as little drums as possible. 4 piece with Just crash, Ride, and Hats unless it is a real high paying gig!

We are older people so all those who are able bodied help to carry and set up.
Everyone does what they are capable off to assist.

There is one band that I am in where the guitar player never assist. He always arrives at the last min and he leaves for the door like the venue was on fire at the end.
He isn't well respected for that.

We tease him about it in the hopes that he will get it and start participating but he is just kind of a jerk!
Someday he will need something from us. PAYBACK TIME!

Last edited:
1 - 12" tom
1 - 14" tom
1 - 16" tom
1 - 22" kick
1 - 14" snare
1 - hardware bag
1 - dw pedal case
1 - stick bag

that it :p

1 - 12" tom
1 - 14" tom
1 - 16" tom
1 - 22" kick
1 - 14" snare
1 - hardware bag
1 - dw pedal case
1 - stick bag

that it :p
No cymbals, or actual hardware or sticks? Now that's strange... How does it work out for you?

22" kick, 10" tom, 14" tom, 13" snare, double Axis pedal and Axis hat stand. 2 crashes, hats and a ride. throne, sticks brushes.

More important than all of that...ME!!! :)

I've done everything from a four-piece with two or three cymbals, all the way up to the large setup you can see on my profile picture album (seven toms, two snares, about 15 cymbals, one bass, and about 300 lbs of metal support), depending on the size of the place and the musical sitch. I'm blessed with a large car, a still strong back, and a very helpful wife/tech/roadie.

OK.....so far the drummers that replied only bring their kits....do you ALSO help set up the PA, lights and other stuff?? I forgot to add that I bring a light system as well.

OK.....so far the drummers that replied only bring their kits....do you ALSO help set up the PA, lights and other stuff?? I forgot to add that I bring a light system as well.

Gee, you must be every bands dream drummer....maybe that's why you got the gig, he, he....

It depends on the gig. Basic kit for smaller gigs (4 piece with cymbals, bells and blocks). EVERYTHING for large venue gigs (10 piece+, includes more cymbals, gongs, aux snares, gong bass, chimes, bells, blocks and assorted noisy things).

Typically a 6 pc kit with 4 cymbals. We all help eachother with all our gear. Loading unloading etc. When playing down south my band mates will drop me off at home on the way back and unload ALL my gear at our studio since they live North of me. No attitudes, no egos and no conflicts. I am truly honored and blessed to be associated with such a great group of musicans that esteem others more than themselves.

I do alot of solo casuals where I'm playing drums, singing, with the band coming out of the computer as MIDI tracks (guitarists and keyboardists have been doing this for years, so why let them have all the fun?). So I'm carrying a small kit with two cymbals, and a PA with monitors too. Plus a couple of computers along with mics for the kit and me.

It is nice when I name my price and it all comes to me on a gig, but on the other hand, it'd be nice to let others handle the pressure too, but I have no one else up there with me!

No, I don't carry lighting, though.

Four piece kit with ride, crash, hats.
With the rock band, the PA's always already there and there's a sound guy to sort out mics etc.
With the Blues band, if there's no PA, we use the guitarist's. I usually help with that and the lights after I set the kit up.

To a non supplied PA gig I bring
For Me:
Kick drum
Snare
3 Toms
4 Pies
Two cymbol stands
Hats/stand
Kick Pedal
throne
my wee mackie monitor
Drum mixer maybe
Mic boom stand and monitor extension
My mic
Drum mics
Kick Mic stand
Music stand
spares kit
small cooler full of ice
half pint o rum
coke...a.cola

For the rest: but my stuff.
My powered mixer and maybe a spare
2 FOH speakers
2 Speaker stands
2 floor wedges
3 Mic stands
The Bag o mics
4 Speaker cables
A pile of Mic cables
Spare instrument cables
Heavy duty power strips
Spare extension cord
spare guitar strap

Jeez what am I thinking?

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes mounted on Hexrack
8,10,12 &16" mounted toms as well as the matching 5.5x14 snare drum (spare)
6.5x14 COB Ludwig Supraphonic
20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
18" Zildjian K Custom Dark Thin Crash
18" Zildjian K Dark Crash
17" Zildjian K China
14" Zildjian K Mastersound HiHats
10" Zildjina K Splash
SKB cases for all the above
DW 9000 double pedal, hihat stand and snare stand.
Roc N Soc Throne w/ backrest
Roland SPD-S
Sticks
3 - Audix D2's
Audix D4
Audix D6
Audix I5
2 - Audix ADX51's
4 - Dvice gooseneck clips
3 boom mic stands
1 mini stand for kick mic
Mic cables
Floor fan
Rug
A couple of liters of bottled water
1 giant Rockstar sugar free energy drink
I also bring a single DW 9000 just in case, extra mic clips, extra felts and sleeves, a multi tool, some gross grain ribbon for snares, and Pledge Wipes in case I feel like dusting.
That's just the drum related stuff.

Most clubs that I have played provide both lights and PA, and nothing is needed on those fronts beyond plugging in our personal microphones and miking our instruments (which the house usually assists with).

Most clubs that I have played provide both lights and PA, and nothing is needed on those fronts beyond plugging in our personal microphones and miking our instruments (which the house usually assists with).

This is the case with most of the bands that I've been in as well. In the cover band I'm in now, we usually hire a guy who brings all of his own sound and lights. That way we only have to worry about ourselves. For smaller gigs, we have our own system that we have to set up. In those instances, our singer's dad lets us borrow his trailer. That's always nice because we can fit all our gear in there and car pool.

I've wrestled with this dilemna for many years now. I've always changed my kit to bring whatever was needed to convincingly play the particular style of music I was trying to recreate. I dumped an extra tom and a few cymbals in the past year or so from my "Metal" set-up. My current kit is comprised of what I consider the bare essentials needed to play the classic rock and metal covers my band undertakes (Zeppelin, Rush, BOC, etc.).

DW Collector’s Series X-Shell (Finish Ply Silver Sparkle)
7 X10, X-Shell Tom ESE (Batter: Coated Emperor, Resonant: Clear Ambassador)
10 X 14, X-Shell Floor Tom (Batter: Coated Emperor, Resonant: Clear Ambassador)
18 X 20, X-Shell Bass Drum (Batter: Clear PS-3, Resonant: White PS-3)
5.5 X 13, DW Aluminum Snare (Batter: CS Coated, Resonant: Ambassador Hazy Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
A Custom:
13” Mastersound hi-hats
17" Crash
18” EFX
K Custom:
17” Hybrid Crash
20” Hybrid Ride

Hardware
DW 9000 Double Bass Pedal
DW 9500 Hi-Hat Stand
DW 9700 Boom Stand
DW 9799 Dual Boom Stand
DW 9900 Double-tom Stand

Misc.
LP Lil’ Ridge Rider Cowbell
Roland SPD-20

I also own the PA, so I transport that as well. The other guys do help set it up though.

Attachments

• IMG_0667_2.JPG
    IMG_0667_2.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0668_2.JPG
    IMG_0668_2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
My kit:
22" Bass
14" Snare
12" Rack tom
14" and 16" Floor Toms

14" Paiste 402 Hi hats + stand
18" Paiste PST5 Thin Crash + stand
20" Paiste PST5 Med. Ride + stand

Single Pedal

Stick bag with 3 sets of sticks.

LP Soft Shaker
LP Cowbell
Gatorade.

How much stuff do I bring? As little as possible while still being able to play what I want.

4 piece kit.
5 cymbals
Single Pedal
2 stands, with multiple attachments.
Hardware bag for stands + sticks & extras

Back