Worst idea in Drumming

I really like the big deep toms! Don't understand the hate?

The ones that really bug me are the ones that are like 12 x 8 - they look like weird snare drums. I'm a fan of the bigger beefier tom. My rack tom is 14x12 - Sort of Bonham esque

oh and I remember seeing some old Nirvana videos where their original drummer had bent toms like this:
staccatoadvert.JPG

I think they were called staccato drums...

I agree with you completely. The single most common topic in the gear and technique threads is double bass pedals, and double bass has the least use. In most genres, other band members just get really annoyed at 16th notes on the bass. It has extremely limited uses.

Well things are only as limiting as you make them. I use double bass in a lot of music that isn't necessarily rock or metal. It depends when you use it and how you use it. I love using two feet for patterns, the rhythm combinations are endless.

I think stand alone floor toms are better than suspended ones I hate how floor toms wobble when mounted to a stand. So that is a plus one for me.

The dualist is a good tool for people who who don't mind playing doubles with one foot but for me personally I hate the idea.

Stock no name cymbals that usually come with a budget kit are a travesty I think you'd be better off hitting a dust bin lid personally.

As much as I like Nylon tip sticks for the ride cymbal, I think they are pointless, almost all of these types of sticks I have owned, the tip has flown off at a gig and I don't play hard compared to a lot of people. There are exceptions though and some last a lot longer than others so I wouldn't say they were a big mistake.

Worst one for me is hi hat stands where the legs don't rotate, because i'm a double pedal user this really is a pain for me.

I agree with you completely. The single most common topic in the gear and technique threads is double bass pedals, and double bass has the least use. In most genres, other band members just get really annoyed at 16th notes on the bass. It has extremely limited uses.

I don't know what genres you listen to, but if you took the double kick out of drumming then roughly 85% of my mp3 collection would sound very, very dull.

Double kicks have little use in many genres, but in others (death, black, grind, thrash metal) it's positively crucial.

The problem I have always had with "power toms" is one of positioning. I had a 1988 Ludwig kit with "power toms" and a 22 inch BD. If you want to know why people played with ridiculous angles on the toms back then, try correctly positioning a power tom without gouging the heck out of your bass drum.

Power toms, concert toms, dead bass drums, open bass drums, piccolo snares, 12" snares, etc - that stuff to me is a constant cycling of what's in and out of fashion. Concert toms were almost the most un-hip thing imaginable in the early-mid 90s but now I'm seeing them more frequently. I think this stuff is just a constant cycle of rediscovery every 20-30 years.

No, the dumb stuff to me is almost always of the "gadget" variety which seems like to the bottom of ideas that solve problems no one had.

My favorite in that category remains the Stick Flip - because apparently your arm and wrist just aren't up to the task of tossing sticks?

I've got a 12" x 7" Brady, this size was also used for "love shack" and U2, through out the eightys. And I think they all sound just sooper.

The problem I have always had with "power toms" is one of positioning. I had a 1988 Ludwig kit with "power toms" and a 22 inch BD. If you want to know why people played with ridiculous angles on the toms back then, try correctly positioning a power tom without gouging the heck out of your bass drum.

That's how I mean it, too. As great as it'd be to have all that depth, I cannot imagine trying to get those things at a comfortable position. It's why I like the new minimal-depth toms.

That's how I mean it, too. As great as it'd be to have all that depth, I cannot imagine trying to get those things at a comfortable position. It's why I like the new minimal-depth toms.

And even those can be tough to position well without resorting to excessive tom angles if you're "short" and have them mounted on the BD. Can't wait will my tom/cymbal stand gets here tomorrow.

I'm surprised no one has said 'Meg White' yet...

Haha, I disagree, I think she's one of the better ideas.

But seriously, those triple pedals. I don't play anything that would warrant the use of a double pedal but I can see where some genres need it, but nothing warrants the use of a triple pedal...except someone with three legs.

OOOH, cool thread. Off the top of my head- suspended floor toms. What the hell are those about!? I don't need 'em to ring that long, they bounce all over the place, I can't rest my sticks on them, and I need to attach them to a 70 pound cymbal stand so it doesn't tip over! Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?! If you have a decent tom with a decent mount, they don't bounce all over the place. I mount mine on a lightweight stand with a thin crash on it and have no problem, and constantly rest my sticks on them. This may be the funniest post in a thread filled with them.

I marched for years in the early seventies. We hardly ever broke heads and we used to torque the crap out of them! Why do you need Kevlar heads?

I guess somewhere along the line someone decided that higher always equals better, into infinity. It's the same philosophy that gave us the mullet- "I liked the way my hair looked when I first started growing it out in the back, therefore I'll like it even more if I let it grow even longer and eventually start cutting it short in front to exaggerate the effect."

Haha, I disagree, I think she's one of the better ideas.

But seriously, those triple pedals. I don't play anything that would warrant the use of a double pedal but I can see where some genres need it, but nothing warrants the use of a triple pedal...except someone with three legs.

For the record, I don't dislike Meg. I was just observing the fact that no one mentioned her. I know how popular 'Meg bashing' threads are on here.

(Sorry Polly!!!) :)

There's been some good ones, but I would say Zildjian with the double sided sticks. They have the mallet on one side and the stick on the other. It adds to weight displacement and it feels terrible.

Also, Vic Firth's drumsticks with the lights in them at the tip are pretty ridiculous as well.

Rings that attach to your drum sticks so you can
twirl them. W.T.F!! If you some of you guys out there have a collection of modern drummer's from the 80s, look in the back at some of ads they have endless bad ideas.

hahahaha, that takes the cake.

Yeah, the 80's yielded some pretty terrible ideas, man.

Back