is the moeller technique a must for every drummer??!!

come to think of it, every drummer i have seen uses this technique somewhat in their playing, not to mention jojo mayer and his dvd...i don t think there is any drummer who s great and doesn t know this technique????????????????????????????????????????

In the drummer's toolbox, Moeller is like a big crescent wrench. Most drummers probably can "whip it out" (Get it?? Moehler whip, whip it ou...uh.. nvm). Anyway, there are some drummers that definitely do not use Moeller. Come to think of it, most Jojo vids i see nowadays when he's at high speed he's using a flying finger/ french-what-do-you-call it thingy.

To me it's like swivel with feet. It just starts to happen naturally with some patterns. I'm not sure if you actually need to practice it conciously.

John Riley here:

The whipping action of Moeller always puts some kind of accent in the flow, so Moeller isn't of much use when all the notes have to be one volume.

There are many great drummers who don't use Moeller. However, there are not many super fast drummers who have not explored Moeller.

I've always been curious about it, since it seems interesting. Neat to see people do one-handed rolls. However, I've never been in a musical situation where I needed to do a one-handed roll. I've always had great results with Morello's technique, learned via Danny Gottlieb. [Not personally, just learned about it via interviews w/him.]

come to think of it, every drummer i have seen uses this technique somewhat in their playing, not to mention jojo mayer and his dvd...i don t think there is any drummer who s great and doesn t know this technique????????????????????????????????????????

well its such an exceptional technique that allows one to perform fast powerful strokes with ease... its really a no brainer if you ask me.

Re: is the moeller technique a must for every drummer

My partner is very upset tonight; in the last few weeks, the chairman & his family have gone, Dominic & his family have gone & now NW & his family have gone.

NO! Not Dominic and his family! No way! It's beyond comprehension!

Well, that sure is a blow, I'll tell you. A hell of a blow.

I think its a technique designed for and by vegetarian drummers. The non-veggies mostly use the Incisor.

For a more detailed explanation there is a monster thread on it here:
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15258&highlight=moeller

Not wanting to be your auditor again, Abe, but don't you mean the canines? :)

Having said that, my knowledge of the MT could be written on the back of a postage stamp in 24 point font.

I'm more concerned about Dominic, who the (now-removed) spammer said had gone missing.

Not wanting to be your auditor again, Abe, but don't you mean the canines? :)

Having said that, my knowledge of the MT could be written on the back of a postage stamp in 24 point font.

I'm more concerned about Dominic, who the (now-removed) spammer said had gone missing.

LOL, Pol, your ARE my Lone Rhino. I stand corrected again, but more for my dyslexia this time. Thankya, milady! : )

I meant Canine.

Last edited:
LOL, Pol, your ARE my Lone Rhino. I stand corrected again, but more foor my dyslexia this time. Thankya, milady! : )

I meant Canine.

I'd like to thank you for the chance to make myself useful on a Moeller Technique thread. If I want an accent I just hit harder. Sometimes this forum makes me feel like a Neanderthal ... complete with prehensile canines.

John Riley here:

The whipping action of Moeller always puts some kind of accent in the flow, so Moeller isn't of much use when all the notes have to be one volume.

There are many great drummers who don't use Moeller. However, there are not many super fast drummers who have not explored Moeller.

^- This.

For speed, I worked on the fingers technique over Moeller just for this reason. Not that I'm not still watching YouTube vids and trying to get the thing down (not making TOO much progress...), but since most of what I play to has constant volume going on, the ONE-two-ONE-two sound that Moeller produces isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I have found that several techniques are important to apply. I took a lesson from Jim Chapin when he was in Raleigh some years ago and continued to study his method for several years. So, I change it up depending on what I'm doing with the drums - with his technique as 'home-row'. It's not the 'rule' of thumb - many drummers play great utilizing even just one method. Nonetheless, his method greatly improved my playing and has allowed me to relax even more so behind the kit.

~B

Oh, it's that strange stick motion that Jim Chapin uses.

So the forearm rotates along its axis, this contrasts with the wrist on its own swiveling up and down (like dribbling a basketball, how I learned to play drums).

Back