I miss Pollyanna

Listen fellas, don't hi-jack the thread that I worked so hard to screw up. This is my show and you were just the cheap opening act - didn't you get the memo (you suck)?

*Disclaimer: This is not meant to hurt your feelings. However, if you should find yourself tearing up then I suggest Dr. Phil.

No, I'm cool. How about you, Bob?

Aw, Bob! I was with you right up to the cheese. Have you tried grated fresh Mozzarella? (And maybe a thinner crust? I'm a snob for New York pizza, you understand. Ben's near Washington Square is my favorite.)
I sometimes use mozzarella with a thin crust. Today was a thick crust Mexican kind of day. I was out earlier clearing snow and I wanted the extra fat and carbs! LOL Like I need them!

Um....this may seem kind of stupid, but that's how what's done?
Polly was referring to how we handled the Mex with the thick crust vs the mozz and thin debate. We didn't fight and no one called each other names. You decided to have Mex for dinner. I'm enjoying my pizza! We also ignored Sopranos.

Polly was referring to how we handled the Mex with the thick crust vs the mozz and thin debate. We didn't fight and no one called each other names. You decided to have Mex for dinner. I'm enjoying my pizza! We also ignored Sopranos.

Ah, of course. See, cooks can always find common ground. Cooking is a very noble art indeed.

Glad your pizza turned out well, Bob. I envy you for your sausage. (Wait....that doesn't sound exactly right.)

Should i call this thread: Polyanna - Con Struct open public PM? Are you starting a Love Affair?

B.

You mean you weren't?

Most days I learn something from this forum and today is no exception. But if I want a pizza, then I'll buy one.

Since it's too early in the morning to play before posting I have listened to something that I haven't heard for a long time instead. I've opted for Diamanda Galas & John Zorn playing Metamorfosis. Edgy! I find this approach more effective than counting to ten and taking deep breaths, and it reminds me of what this is all about - creating fabulous sounds and moods :)

PS. Oops, posted the same time as you, Bernhard. It would never work out between Con Struct and me - the tyranny of distance and all that. But point taken :)

Should i call this thread: Polyanna - Con Struct open public PM? Are you starting a Love Affair?

B.

Point taken, Berhard. Actually I'm married, though, so as enticing an idea as a love affair with Polly may be, I am sworn to loyalty to my wife of twenty years.

Diamanda Galas & John Zorn playing Metamorfosis. Edgy!

Edgy......I like! Disturbing ... I like better. Well, a time and a place for everything, right. "Plague Mass Live" is probably my favorite D. Galas album ..... and the albums she did with John Paul Jones. Zorn, one of my all-time-favorite-action-hero's. Last count I had 23 CD's of his. Just a few days ago I was listenning to "Leng Tch'e" ... one of my all time favorites. Ah, the sweet, lilting, gentle croon of Yamataka Eye. And Joey Baron, one of my all time favorite drummers. Not to mention East Coast Pizza Rules!

Attachments

• joeybaronbyLouisObbens.jpg
    joeybaronbyLouisObbens.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 270
Edgy......I like! Disturbing ... I like better. Well, a time and a place for everything, right. "Plague Mass Live" is probably my favorite D. Galas album ..... and the albums she did with John Paul Jones. Zorn, one of my all-time-favorite-action-hero's. Last count I had 23 CD's of his. Just a few days ago I was listenning to "Leng Tch'e" ... one of my all time favorites. Ah, the sweet, lilting, gentle croon of Yamataka Eye. And Joey Baron, one of my all time favorite drummers. Not to mention East Coast Pizza Rules!

Thanks Harry. Will check JZ out. I stumbled on Diamanda's music while looking for female artists who are not sweet and bland. Yes, you have to love Joey Baron.

This post's listening is just a bit different to the last one - Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons, Honeydripper :)

Hi Pollyanna, how are you? I like Joey Baron myself, does he have a website, how can you get a hold of him? Take care.

Paul

Hi Pollyanna, how are you? I like Joey Baron myself, does he have a website, how can you get a hold of him? Take care.

Paul

Howdy Paul. I don't know much about Joey B other than enjoying his playing every time I see his YouTube clips. Harry or some of the others will know more. No doubt Google will have some goodies too.

This post's listening has both John Zorn and Joey Baron - doing some riffing that at times doesn't sound light years from Black Dog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlftvyB4mUo

Jeeze, I go out of town for a few days and come back to all of THIS! Whoever left, glad you're back. Whoever is angry, hope you got over it. Now lets all join hands and sing a rounding chorus of "Kum-By-Ya" followed by a big group hug! **Sigh**. I feel better already.

I still can't think of a single anti-technque comment made on this forum. Just because people said things before I arrived here doesn't degrade this statement. So I repeat - no one HERE is anti-technique to the best of my knowledge. If I'm not aware of them that doesn't mean they don't exist of course, but I haven't been seeing them here in the half-year that I've been a regular poster. Besides, everyone needs to have some technique to play.

However, I've seen plenty of people giving simple drummers a HUGE thumbs down. I don't think that the technicians have much to worry about with the current crew of regulars. If anything, those raising the good points of simple drummers are just creating some balance. Yin and Yang.

To me, the Yang of drumming is power, speed and independence. The Yin of drumming is subtlety and sensitivity. (I'd see groove as gender-neutral). I like to see balanced views and I have ZERO interest in any supposed drumming hierarchy. I play purely for the love of it these days with no major aspirations and my place in any real or imagined drumming heirarchy is entirely irrelevant to me. I just enjoy playing in my band with people I like and respect a great deal.

---
Some art takes more technique than others but I don't care. Surely it's a matter of what hits the spot for the individual? Why not enjoy it all for what it is without ranking and competitiveness? If you feel competitiveness is important because you're in a race to establish your place in that feral cesspool otherwise known as the music industry, fine, go for gold if you can swing it. Whatever floats your boat. But many people don't see art in terms of hierarchies, which is why most of the most popular music is relatively simple.

I really don't care one bit if someone loves great chops and dislikes simplicity but am happy to put my two cent's worth in, if only to provide some balance. If the "drum philsophy" threads seem overbalanced by those who appreciate simplicity then:

1) there are heaps of threads about how to achieve so-and-so BPM, or improving independence or about exotic paradiddle variations and

2) there's nothing to stop people from making content-rich and respectful opposing views. The smart approach isn't to go nyah nyah but raise a specific example of simple drumming where you feel the drummer missed opportunities to turn a decent song into something special. What part/s in the song were those opportunities and what phrase would have lifted it to a higher level? THAT would be useful.

Even though as a rule I enjoy understated musicianship more than showing off I am not sure that any budding superstars have to worry about me stalking, pillaging or burning. I am not entirely web-anonymous too and also have been stalked via the web - once by a nutter who didn't like my opinions and once by a nutter who seemed to like me too much. Not fun but they go away after a while.

I've been stalked by a nutter in meatspace who could could see through my window at home. I've also put up with a peeping tom and a phone heavy breather (that was hilarious - happy to share that tale sometime). Several times I've been followed on the street by guys (alone and in groups) looking for sex. Stuff happens. If one is worried about being stalked, just be glad you're not a woman.

Defensiveness is still no excuse for rudeness, and unpleasantness is a sure way of increasing the chances of things going awry. The safest practice on the web is to be respectful, friendly and positive. Happily, it's also more enjoyable. The thing I have to learn is to ignore the nasty stuff, and it appears I'm not the only one.

We had a comment complaining that people who "can't play for crap" are trying to raise themselves on some drumming hierarchy to the same level of more seasoned players. Yet it appears that comment does not refer to any actual people who commented on the Money Beat thread. I appear not to have realised that this was a reference to theoretical people, not real ones :p If stuff happens on other forums, then let it stay on other forums. This, for the overwhelmingly large part, is a NICE forum because it is strongly moderated. That, along with being a music obsessive, is why I post here.

I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

PS. Thanks Ken, but not everyone :)

So True Polly.. At the Grammy's the other night Ringo happened to be there and they asked him, "Who are you hoping wins tonight?"

His reply, "I didn't come to see people win or loose, I came to watch everybody play!"

way back in high school among the many band rivals, we talked the school into making the talent show just a fun entertaining night without making it a contest. When the contest went away, everyone started working together, and the show was ten times entertaining than it ever had been before.

Why do we have to compete with each other. That's an ego thing, not a music thing. Be a band that gets a break and gets to onen for a headliner. If you try to compete with them, you won't be on their tour very long.

Celebrate our differences..!

Is Ringo a Great Drummer? an Okay Drummer? or, a Not so good drummer?

Well, he played for the biggest band ever! Nuff said..!!??!!

Back