Pitch Black Sighting!

To me, it just sounds like a "marketing thing"
I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Lee had special custom made Pitch Black Cymbals. Or else, black painted A's. Just so that when people would see this, they would go "if Tommy plays this, then it must be good".

It has been done in the past in different cases, for example in the snowboarding industry. I used to work in a snowboard shop and got to know how some things works. You'll see pictures in magazines of the pros using a type of board with a specific graphic, so that you would recognized the type of board. But, in reality the board is a completely different one, only printed like the other one they would like you to buy.

Mark-e-thing!
Yeah i wouldnt be suprised cuz joey jordison from slipknot promoted the Paiste Black alpha
cymbals but live he uses black painted rudes, 2002's, and signatures

To me, it just sounds like a "marketing thing"
I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Lee had special custom made Pitch Black Cymbals. Or else, black painted A's. Just so that when people would see this, they would go "if Tommy plays this, then it must be good".

And we have our answer!

File this right under "Zakk Wylde uses stock JCM 800s with Sovtek 6550s and stock Boss pedals!"

C'mon, anyone "endorsing" crap gear is playing good gear made to look like crap gear.

Except Damon Che. He does play crap gear and makes it sound great.

Dominic Howard of muse was using pitch blacks in the undisclosed desires video bit shocked

Yeah i wouldnt be suprised cuz joey jordison from slipknot promoted the Paiste Black alpha
cymbals but live he uses black painted rudes, 2002's, and signatures
Paiste has been making colored cymbals for years, and Joey had been using black cymbals a few years before Black Alpha came out (in fact, he even used white cymbals for a while, before switching back to black). Also, anyone can order custom black cymbals from Paiste, no matter what series or model.
So it's not really the same thing as Tommy Lee hypothetically using custom black Zildjians.

Paiste has been making colored cymbals for years, and Joey had been using black cymbals a few years before Black Alpha came out (in fact, he even used white cymbals for a while, before switching back to black). Also, anyone can order custom black cymbals from Paiste, no matter what series or model.
So it's not really the same thing as Tommy Lee hypothetically using custom black Zildjians.

Really? Where can I order custom painted paiste cymbals? Wanna send me a link?

I saw the last show of CrueFest 2 this year and Tommy had his regular cymbals, A and Z Customs... so, I am going to guess he just used the Pitch Blacks for the first part of the tour....

And I think I know why Zildjian even started with the Blacks, I mean aside from the fact that EVERY head and cymbal company put out plack products last year....

I spoke to a Paiste rep who told me they were doing a set of black cymbals fro Ginger Fish, because Manson wanted all black gear on a particular tour.... Zildjian didn't make black cymbals so Ginger had to use Paiste for just that tour.
Zildjian probably said, "ok, we can't let this happen again, lets get in the black game"

you can actually get any cymbal any color you choose if you do it right. the bad thing about the pitch blacks was they used paint to do it, same for the black alpha's i believe. do a google search for a local metal anodizer and they can anodize the cymbals any color you want and it won't effect the sound much if any at all.

just gotta stay away from the painting, that really kills them...

I saw the last show of CrueFest 2 this year and Tommy had his regular cymbals, A and Z Customs... so, I am going to guess he just used the Pitch Blacks for the first part of the tour....

And I think I know why Zildjian even started with the Blacks, I mean aside from the fact that EVERY head and cymbal company put out plack products last year....

I spoke to a Paiste rep who told me they were doing a set of black cymbals fro Ginger Fish, because Manson wanted all black gear on a particular tour.... Zildjian didn't make black cymbals so Ginger had to use Paiste for just that tour.
Zildjian probably said, "ok, we can't let this happen again, lets get in the black game"
You can special order black Paistes. Their Colorsound coating, which is only offered in black with the Stewart Copeland ride being the only exemption, is pretty durable. ZIldjian's coating, however, might as well be black spray paint. I saw some month old floor models in a music store with bronze showing on the cymbals from the cheap coating chipping off. I just wish hacks like Tommy Lee and Travis Barker wouldn't use their awful drumming and commercial success to get kids to get their parents to buy them trendy garbage like Pitch Black cymbals.

yeah painting screws up cymbals, i tried painting my 12 inch wuhan china black and it was an epic fail, it just sounded dead and trapped under the paint

Back