Giant Beat and other Paiste Thins

MikeM

Platinum Member
So I bought a Giant Beat Multi 20" this weekend. I liked it a lot because it sounded fantastic and has a unique look to it. As good as the cymbal enthusiasts say, IMO.

Only problem is that when Paiste takes the taper down toward the edge on thinner cymbals (this is supposed to be medium-thin), it gets really thin. Like knife-sharp, cut-your-fingers-off thin. I don't know how long this thing had been on the showroom floor, but I noticed part way through my first rehearsal with it that it was showing signs of being used as a crash along the edges. Smallish little dents were visible in just the right light. I stopped playing it immediately and returned today - actually, I exchanged it for a 2oo2 20" Crash, which sounds VERY similar as it turns out, and is more stout around the edge.

I've had two 2oo2 Thin Crashes and they both did the same thing along the edges. Seems like Paiste shouldn't lathe their cymbals down to such sharp delicate edges on their thinner cymbals, but they do.

Word to the wise...

PaisteTim, you still lurking in these parts?

Last edited:
I went into a store more than a month ago, dead set on picking up a set of GBs (24, 20 & 18 multis). All ready to take the Paiste plunge because I've been a Zildjian player for so long.

I really like the sound and look of the Giant Beats. I backed off from buying mostly because they only had one version of each cymbal in the store and I wanted to try a few and pick a set out.

I did notice the thin edge on the 18 and 20 and not much edge wobble to go along with so I was puzzled as to why they tapered so much.

The next time I went into the store, the clerk suggested that I try the 2002s (24, 22 & 20). Their sounds were quite similar to the GBs and I liked them being closer in size. I was quite surprised how good the 22 crash sounded for being such a large crash. It was surprisingly tameable.

I still want the Giant Beats but I'm afraid that they might not hold up for loud rock.

Does anyone know if older GBs have such a thin taper or even if this matters in terms of durability?

I'm starting to favor getting the 2002s.

I went into a store more than a month ago, dead set on picking up a set of GBs (24, 20 & 18 multis). All ready to take the Paiste plunge because I've been a Zildjian player for so long.

I really like the sound and look of the Giant Beats. I backed off from buying mostly because they only had one version of each cymbal in the store and I wanted to try a few and pick a set out.

I did notice the thin edge on the 18 and 20 and not much edge wobble to go along with so I was puzzled as to why they tapered so much.

The next time I went into the store, the clerk suggested that I try the 2002s (24, 22 & 20). Their sounds were quite similar to the GBs and I liked them being closer in size. I was quite surprised how good the 22 crash sounded for being such a large crash. It was surprisingly tameable.

I still want the Giant Beats but I'm afraid that they might not hold up for loud rock.

Does anyone know if older GBs have such a thin taper or even if this matters in terms of durability?

I'm starting to favor getting the 2002s.

Who knows on the durability issue? I hear that thin cymbals crack easier, then I hear that thicker cymbals crack easier, I suppose we will soon hear from someone that tapered cymbals crack easier. The reason for the taper is that all Giant Beat cymbals are either rides or multis - none are just dedicated crash cymbals.

There has been alot of discussion on the profiles of these reissue Giant Beats, albeit, on other forums. Here is a topic I started some time back that has alot of good input from vintage cymbal guys:

http://www.cymbalholic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31770&highlight=Vintage+Giant+beat

As to 2002s vs the reissue GBs, I believe it is more of what you personally seek for tone, complexity and projection. The GBs are darker, not as cutting, but with more of a complexity of mid ranges in their shimmer than 2002s. If you mainly seek the bright slicing projection that 2002s are notorious for, then stick with them - Giant beats may not be for you.

My 2oo2 mediums do this also. My dad wants to take a dremel and smooth out the edges. He says it's due to bad technique....I think i would have to somewhat agree with this. I learned on my dads paiste dimensions. They used the same alloy as the 2002 and giant beats. He played them for years no nicks or nothing.....after i got done with them for a few years they weren't the same. However my signatures do not get dinged up, so who knows.

My 2oo2 mediums do this also. My dad wants to take a dremel and smooth out the edges. He says it's due to bad technique....

I've had a few 2oo2 mediums and never saw this. As far as the technique... I'm sure you're referring to the person at Paiste working the lathe - although I suppose it could just as easily be the person in charge of specifying thickness profiles. I've never seen a cymbal get this thin at the edge and refuse to believe that it has anything to do with my crappy ham-fisted technique!

I just picked up a new demo model 20" Giant Beat yesterday for $200 and the edge looked straight, no dents. Lotsa finger prints though so I cleaned the cymbal up with a microfiber rag, Dawn dish soap and warm water. After rinsing it clean and wiping it down I saw what looked like little dents around the top perimeter of the cymbal edge as if it were dented in the shops drum room by over eager cymbal testers. However looking directly at the edge of the cymbal itself all the way 'round the edge appears perfectly straight and feels straight. So would these marks be truing hammer marks or remnants of some other manufacturing process? The lathing is both extremely tight and shallow compared to my 2002 Paiste cymbals so maybe there wasn't enough lathing possible to remove these artifacts if thats what they are. To test whether or not drum sticks could have created these indentations I gave my new shiny GB about 10 extremely hard and heavy whacks with my Vic Firth Buddy Rich sticks about a third of the way up the shaft of the stick directly to the edge of the new Paiste, fully expecting to either break the cymbal or leave some nice stick shaped dents to the edge, worse than what was already there. Instead, there's absolutely NO damage or abnormality at all from those uberheavy crashes. None, Nada. And I was worried because the cymbal edge is thinner than the edge of my 2002 18" Crash. The stick I used is chewed up pretty good though! I'm keeping this one because A it sounds fantastic, B I got it for peanuts and C, it's the greenest colored reissue GB I've seen yet. Pics to follow.

I have 24" ride 20" multi, 18" multi and 15" hi hats , I have had them a few years now and never had an issue and i'm a hard hitter.

Here's some pics of the new GB 20

2011_06_18_EOS_1387Large.jpg

2011_06_18_EOS_1384Large.jpg

2011_06_18_EOS_1389Large.jpg

I have the 18" and 20" GBs and give them a paisteing (sorry!). No dents at all and they certainly wobble very nicely, even when I ride them.

PFOG, my GBs are the reverse, the 20" has that nice coppery colour whereas my 18" is green. Doesn't affect the sound though, so it's OK..

On my 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride, there are no dents at all!
Regarding the coppery or greeny colour - doesn´t have an impact on the sound nor myself!...I love that ride...that feel!

Attachments

• My Peavey five hundred series drums.jpg
    My Peavey five hundred series drums.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4,809
to me...the 2002's and Giant beats are some of the most beautiful cymbals out there
the hammering pattern, the color AND the sound!!

every time I look at my Gb 24" I think to myself "what a gorgeous cymbal"
then I play on it and say "what a gorgeous sounding cymbal"
very happy with mine
now, gots to get me the 20"

I had been wanting a Giant Beat cymbal for a long time but the only thing holding me back was the $300 price tag. I recently saw a barely-used 20 inch sitting in the bin at Guitar center, and at only $189 I couldn't resist buying it! This cymbal has the tone I've had in my head and have been searching for during the past couple years: Bright, yet warm; articulate with good stick definition, but not "manhole cover"-thick; responsive, but not so thin that it washes out too easily. It definitely has that silvery "zing" that can only come from a Paiste. And, with its golden copper color, minimal silk-screening, and extensive top hammering that reflects light ever-so-nicely, this is also one of the most beautiful cymbals I've ever seen! Swiss engineering at its finest.

I had a slew of different 2oo2's and am slowly selling off and making my way over to GB's. I don't see any issue with the edges, knife-sharp, weak etc. and am wondering if those who have are a specific year.

IMO no need to get different Paiste GB's of the same size set up in store to pick 'the one'. They are all identical, a typical mark of Paiste cymbals, very consistent.

To me the 2oo2 20 crash does not sound like the GB 20 crash. Both are of course beautiful, but there are not those higher cuttign tonnes in the GB, rather more shimmer and mid range .....and of course the GB serves as a ride much better.

Here's some pics of the new GB 20

2011_06_18_EOS_1387Large.jpg

2011_06_18_EOS_1384Large.jpg

2011_06_18_EOS_1389Large.jpg

Nice set up!! I have an 18" and LOVE IT. I have played the 20" as well. Seems like the entire GB line offers a tremendous amount of versatility. I have also tried several of the new Sabian "cymbal vote" cymbals. The bash ride is also very versatile and i love the way it sounds. I also own the Jojo Mayer signature OMNI ride and love it for its versatility.

Back