Which Practice Pad Is Best?

"and an 6" HQ real feel in my car with a copy of Stick Control"

You keep a copy of stick control in your car?

That is probably the coolest thing I've ever read on the internet !

I spend a fair amount of time on the road and often times I have 20 or 30 minutes to kill so I just practice. Last week I was renewing my drivers license and got over an hours practice in just sitting on a bench. Everyone else was bored stiff. Not me. :)

I spend a fair amount of time on the road and often times I have 20 or 30 minutes to kill so I just practice. Last week I was renewing my drivers license and got over an hours practice in just sitting on a bench. Everyone else was bored stiff. Not me. :)

This is why I am looking at getting another pad. I've been using the HQ bigger pad, but, I think I am going to get the smaller one to tote around.

Wow. You certainly use your time wisely. Sounds like you have very good time management skills. I had to renew my driver's license last week, too. Hard to believe how most people will just sit there and wait the whole time. I went for a long walk and went browsing through stores while I waited (was in a mall).

Just out of curiosity, how are you able to balance the pad on your legs? Or maybe you brought a stand with you? JFYI, I found something called the OZdrumpad while doing a deep search for drum pads. This one fits nicely on the leg and has a strap. So many pads to choose from out there!

Just out of curiosity, how are you able to balance the pad on your legs? Or maybe you brought a stand with you? JFYI, I found something called the OZdrumpad while doing a deep search for drum pads. This one fits nicely on the leg and has a strap. So many pads to choose from out there!
I

I usually look for a flower bed wall to straddle. On the bench, I sit with my right foot on the floor so I can tap my foot. My left leg is on top of the bench where I'm sitting. The little pad sits between my legs like a snare would.

I've also seen a real small pad that's made out of neoprene and straps to your leg. I forget the name but I'm sure you can find it if you search.

I have tried just about everything and just picked up an Aquarian Tru-Bounce last month.
It feels WAY closer to a real snare drum than anything I have tried before. Roy Burns showed it to me at NAMM and had me test it against a real snare drum. They felt identical!

I personally grew up playing a RealFeel by HQ. It lasted for years.
Now I would recommend(out of your choices) the Aquarian. However, you should also look into the Vater chop builder pads....
Pat, were you at PASIC 04 in the Taye booth?

I have a few of those pads..I must say, after I bought the P4, the other pads were obsolete to me..I rarely if EVER, use them anymore. After practicing on it, the others are boring...I wish it was out a few years ago before I bought the others..

To me, it's a no brainer. Worth the "extra" money, if you consider the lifetime of use you will get. Why anyone would want a one surface pad anymore, when you can now have multiple options, I don't know..But, different "strokes"....pardon the pun..

Ludwig needs to let more people know it exists...If I didn't see it on here, I would never have known, and now I'm glad I did..

Get the P4, nocTurnal...you won't be disappointed..

I'm going to also agree with most here...
I own the (tru-bounce, moongel workout pad, HQ reel feel 6" & 12")
The Ludwig Pat Petrillo P 4 is definitely my Favorite, because
of the 4 playing surfaces it gives you different feels, sounds,
and playing levels
.Which is Fun to Play = more practice time!

A putty pad... Now that is pretty neat! Thanks for posting that. I think I've seen them all now! We must have every kind of drum practice pad there is posted in this thread.

Well if you want a complete list of pads, don't forget the bass drum practice pads from Gibraltar and Pearl.

189.jpg

PearlBD10BassDrumPracticePadStandard.jpg

Jeff

Here's a good listing of pads:
http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store/c-79-practice-pads-tools.aspx

The P4, the Gibraltar BD Pad, and the Sabian Quiet Tone are a few of my favorites. The P4 is probably the most versatile and very cool. IMO, the Putty Pad is crap. We give them away for free in the shop! =)

Here's a quick, throw together video of the Gibraltar pad. I just decided to do one that day and threw this together:
http://www.justdrumsonline.com/videos.aspx

We are less than Musician's Friend and we're a real drum shop. That's for checking us out and we appreciate your support.

Well when I was at the Dennis Chambers clinic in Sherwood Park some asked him the same question, and he recalled asking buddy rich how he got his speed, and according to BR, he practiced on pillows. So thats what Mr.Chambers did as well, and so according to him, (and i completely agree) the best practice pad is not a practice pad at all, but a pillow.

due to the lack of bounce, your forced to use/develop the mussels in your wrists which help builds control and speed.

-Jonathan

Well if you want a complete list of pads, don't forget the bass drum practice pads from Gibraltar and Pearl.

189.jpg

PearlBD10BassDrumPracticePadStandard.jpg

Jeff

I own that bottom pearl and to be honest i'm not extremely happy with it as it doesn't stay still when hitting it. I think the top one is probably better.

As for practice pads i would just like to put in my opinion i think Pat's Ludwig P4 is the best, i haven't personally tried it but i want one now more than anything to replace my Billy Hyde one. It's a great job you've done on that Pat and it's about time the practice pad got some new innovation!

On a related subject, if you travel with a compat practice pad kit what kind of pedals do you take with you and how do you pack them with you? I think my Iron Cobras would be too heavy to take anywhere in a backpack.

Well when I was at the Dennis Chambers clinic in Sherwood Park some asked him the same question, and he recalled asking buddy rich how he got his speed, and according to BR, he practiced on pillows. So thats what Mr.Chambers did as well, and so according to him, (and i completely agree) the best practice pad is not a practice pad at all, but a pillow.

due to the lack of bounce, your forced to use/develop the mussels in your wrists which help builds control and speed.

-Jonathan

This is why I included a very soft surface on the P4, for the variety. The grey rubber makes you work a bit harder, just like a floor tom.

Back