seamless snare drum

BEAST

yea i know this is a dumb Question but what is a seamless snare drum , im a visual learner so pics would be greatly apreaciated

yea i know this is a dumb Question but what is a seamless snare drum , im a visual learner so pics would be greatly apreaciated

A seamed shell starts with a flat peice of sheet metal that is bent around and welded along the joining edge to create the shell.

A seamless shell starts off with a solid ingot of metal (looks like a hockey puck, I believe) that is put into a machine much like a centrifuge that spins very quickly and shapes the solid peice into the shell. Hence there is no join.

If you are after a visual cue here, the best I can offer is imagine a potter's wheel. A lump of clay is placed on the wheel, which then spins and the potter shapes it into a bowl.

At least that is my understanding, by no means am I an expert on the topic. Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
If you are after a visual cue here, the best I can offer is imagine a potter's wheel. A lump of clay is placed on the wheel, which then spins and the potter shapes it into a bowl.

That's a good visual image, Pocket. I'm seeing the potter's wheel. There's Demi Moore moulding a snare drum, Patrick Swayze comes in from behind to the strains of The Righteous Brothers and completely messes it up.

Later on, many miles away, a drummer wonders why the tension rods won't screw into the lugs properly ...

Sorry. I'm in a silly mood.

Solid shell, lathed out of a single log of wood (generally, but not always rock maple).

examples: http://www.lukapercussion.com/en/homepage.html. Go into this site and click on the link labelled "Fabrication". His process, plus visual examples are there.

DW has a "Super Solid" shell in their Collector series, however it does have a seam. Depends on how wide you wish the term 'solid' to mean

Last edited:
That's a good visual image, Pocket. I'm seeing the potter's wheel. There's Demi Moore moulding a snare drum, Patrick Swayze comes in from behind to the strains of The Righteous Brothers and completely messes it up.

Later on, many miles away, a drummer wonders why the tension rods won't screw into the lugs properly ...

And thanks Polly, for inserting that damned song into my head...

Speaking of good visual images Poll.......the thought of Demi Moore spinning my Black Beauty is like a little peek into heaven!! Two perfect pieces of craftsmanship. Ha!.......... Alas my little girl is calling me back to reality...........

Last edited:
There's a thread here - Seamless Snare Drum Process with links to vids about their manufacture and preparation:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36679

Pocket, I thought poor old Patrick Swayze was a bit of alright too but I wouldn't want him moulding my snare drum. His talents lay elsewhere.

Elpol, I wouldn't be so sadistic as to sing "Ohhhh, myyy lo-ooove, my da-arlinggg ..." at you so I won't hehehehehehe
Oh, you're just loving this, aren't you...

Yea Polly needs a good hard tickle for that

On my....I'm rolling on the floor laughing after that one..... hahahahahahahahaha

nice images.... lol

seamless snares... hmmmmm. There are also seamless acrylic shell snares, (and other drums) made by some companies.

Hehehe ... now that I've stirred things up I'll be sensible. Has anyone seen those snares that have no body? Like a roto-tom except there's a lower head with snares below.

In the 80s we were alone is our large practice rooms and we decided to go exploring. We found a room with the gear of a top Aussie band at the time and I couldn't resist tapping the snare (not hard because I didn't want to mess anything up). It sounded like a cannon!

A bit offtopic, but it didn't have any seams ...

Pocket, I thought poor old Patrick Swayze was a bit of alright too but I wouldn't want him moulding my snare drum. His talents lay elsewhere.

I'd say his talents lie 6 feet under right about now...

Back