Versatile Istanbul or Bosphorus

aboylikedave

Hi guys I'm after a versatile ride cymbal for funk, light rock and pop - I hear mainly about Bos/Istanbul for the jazzier side of things in light weights. But how are the mediums or heavies for a more versatile ride?

EDIT: As they are heavier are they slightly drier sounding? I think that may be what I am after.

Last edited:
Med weight Agop Signature ride from 20" to 24". Med. weight SE Jazz ride 21" or 22". Any of these will be a bit drier with an excellent on top stick sound but lots of warm dark trash in the undercurrent but not prominent in the mix. All are more versatile for a wide range of musical applications.

Good luck!

I have a20" Mehmet medium traditional ride. A lot "drier" than the washier rides that these brands are famous for, but not "dry ride" dry . A little too heavy to crash, as you'd expect for a medium ride. A little brighter than a "K", but darker than an "A". Worth seeing if Vintage Drum Center still has this at their old price. I paid $150 for mine brand new.

I also have a 20" Mehmet Nostalgia Crash/Ride which is an equally cool cymbal. Has a nice old-school "A" sound to it. I've got a Pro-Mark sizzler thingy on it now.... which I bought as kinduva prelude to rivets. ;-)

Cymbals only (.com) has Agops and Bosphorus's's as sound samples. You can't go wrong with the Istanbul's or Bosphorus's

-Ryan

Last edited:
Med weight Agop Signature ride from 20" to 24". Med. weight SE Jazz ride 21" or 22". Any of these will be a bit drier with an excellent on top stick sound but lots of warm dark trash in the undercurrent but not prominent in the mix. All are more versatile for a wide range of musical applications.

Good luck!

Yeah, good luck actually hearing the bells on those Agop SE Jazz ride 21" or 22". Most of the time the Agop Signature rides are too thin to be versatile. That doesn't mean they can't be ordered in a medium weight.

Yeah, good luck actually hearing the bells on those Agop SE Jazz ride 21" or 22". Most of the time the Agop Signature rides are too thin to be versatile. That doesn't mean they can't be ordered in a medium weight.

Actually the bell sound on the heavier Sigs and SE's is pretty decent in regards to one sample in particular sample I own and others i've tested. My 2325g 21" SE has a very musical clear med. pitched bell. The bell sounds on my 22" 2210g Sig and 3185g 26" Sig are quite decent too considering their individual lighter weights per size heard in the music.

The trick is getting online dealers to stock these rides at the heavier weights especially the beefier Sigs and SE's.............these have much stronger bells and stick sound.

Hi guys I'm after a versatile ride cymbal for funk, light rock and pop - I hear mainly about Bos/Istanbul for the jazzier side of things in light weights. But how are the mediums or heavies for a more versatile ride?

EDIT: As they are heavier are they slightly drier sounding? I think that may be what I am after.

I own a Bosphorus 22" Antique that weighs around 2700g. It's a very versatile ride with an excellent bell. The Antiques tend to be on the drier side, the striped lathing style is akin to Instanbul Agop's Sultan series and creates a surface with good pingy stick articulation & minimized overtones. I would also look at the Bosphorus & Agop Traditional series rides paying attention to cymbals weighing 2400-2700 grams. Steamer is correct though, if you like a particular cymbal sound like that of the Agop SE's or Signatures, or any of the Bosphorus stuff that would typically be more suited to lower volume i.e. Masters, Masters Turk, New Orleans, you can always shoot for a heavier version of that ride for a bit more versatility. For example I have used with great results a very wobbly smaller belled Bos Masters Turk ride weighing 2518g in a number of different moderately amplified combos. For bell lovers it's important to note that the Agop and Bosphorus Trads do have bigger bell profiles.

Steamer, Have you played any of the Epoch rides from Agop? If so, thoughts? Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

Steamer, Have you played any of the Epoch rides from Agop? If so, thoughts? Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

I own 3 so I guess that's a good answer...:}

#1 at 3025g is a bit of a nasty girl with the most pronounced downward hooked edge on any sample i've seen to date. #2 is 3055g and is very smooth by comparison and dry with a superb stick sound, darkest cymbal in the undertones I own. #3 has a nearly 2" high profile and weighs 2635g and has much more air in the wash floating under the very clear woody stick click sound. All of them are different in character and have a very individual specialized sound that are a aquired taste IMO. I personally love the Epoch ride sound and consider them to be one of the most unique original sounding rides brought into the market in many years from any cymbal company.

Back to the thread......

The most versatile heavier Agop i've tested was a 3500g 24" Sig with a killer stick and bell sound. Very strong attack and character but still nice and dark and dry. The wash was very controlled. To much for straight on acoustic jazz for me but would certainly fit well in a wide number of situations.

I own 3 so I guess that's a good answer...:}

#1 at 3025g is a bit of a nasty girl with the most pronounced downward hooked edge on any sample i've seen to date. #2 is 3055g and is very smooth by comparison and dry with a superb stick sound, darkest cymbal in the undertones I own. #3 has a nearly 2" high profile and weighs 2635g and has much more air in the wash floating under the very clear woody stick click sound. All of them are different in character and have a very individual specialized sound that are a aquired taste IMO. I personally love the Epoch ride sound and consider them to be one of the most unique original sounding rides brought into the market in many years from any cymbal company.

Thanks for the info. I really do have to acquire one of those.

Thanks for the info. I really do have to acquire one of those.

Here's a few pics to further wet your appetite Drums&Beer

P.S. Sending best wishes and prayers to the good people of Istanbul. Turkey who just got hit with the worst flooding in 500 years. 35 dead with the death toll rising........ :{

Also recieved news that the side of Istanbul where most of the cymbal factories are located recieved quite fortunately only minor flooding at least in regards to the Agop factory ...

Attachments

• Epoch {top} 2635g.jpg
    Epoch {top} 2635g.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,992
  • Epoch 3055g {front}.jpg
    Epoch 3055g {front}.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,017
  • Epoch {front} 3025g.jpg
    Epoch {front} 3025g.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,983
Thanks D and B - would that be for a 20" or 21"

I was thinking 22". However that weight range would still hold true to 20" & 21" models. 22" and 24" cymbals have more spread, and in my humble opinion a bit more character which is why with the Turkish cymbals I prefer 22" (or bigger).

So comparatively a 20" Bos Trad weighing 2500g would be a bit more dense sounding with a more concentrated overtone, where a 22" model weighing 2500g would be thinner allowing the cymbal to open up a bit more, sound more airy or woody & complex, and have more spread since there's more surface space and tonal grooves to work with.

When you play some of these cymbals you'll know what I mean.

Here's a few pics to further wet your appetite Drums&Beer

P.S. Sending best wishes and prayers to the good people of Istanbul. Turkey who just got hit with the worst flooding in 500 years. 35 dead with the death toll rising........ :{

Also recieved news that the side of Istanbul where most of the cymbal factories are located recieved quite fortunately only minor flooding at least in regards to the Agop factory ...

Stunning. Lovely, lovely cymbals.

Back