How to practice with discipline?

sebob

Hi,
I need advice concerning my problem.

I've played drum for only 2 years and I really enjoy it. The problem is, when i'm practicing, I'm unable to stay concentrate on a specific subject. For example, I started to do foot technic for 10 min and after I began a solo wich is not linked. Does anybody have the same problem? How to practice with discipline?

Also, is it good to break down a practice session in two or three parts in a day?Or, is it better to do an intensive block of three hours?

If any of you have some tips to help me get my practice effective, write it down.

You just have to do it. Set a goal for the day. Practice. When your tired take a quick break. Come back. Accomplish your goal(s).

Not hard IMHO.

And at the end of that session either set another goal for the rest of the day or for your next practice session.

And chunk your time into sections- 1 hour on feet, 1 hour on hands, 2 hours on books and give yourself time that where if you mess around for say 30 minutes it won't affect your productivity.

That's a basic overview and extremely general for what I do. Though to be honest I don't really work on my feet since they are good and get their work out from the books I use. Keep in mind too this is just what I do for drum set... Ahhh I love being able to practice all day in the summer

Unfortunately, there is no secret trick to being disciplined. The fact is, if you really want to improve, you need to turn that desire into the the focus you need during your practice time.

Unfortunately, there is no secret trick to being disciplined. The fact is, if you really want to improve, you need to turn that desire into the the focus you need during your practice time.

Exactly. My desire= my focus to improve.

One of the tips I picked up from a dyslexia mentor (there are suspicions I might be after some tests, etc) is the ability to break down larger goals into smaller goals. Drum5 has already alluded to this in the thread. Staring at a large goal like 'break my left hand away from my left foot' is exceptionally daunting and doesn't actually help the issue in the slightest - it doesn't provide a focus of study. Instead working on a basis of specific goals, for instance 'learn to play warm up exercise four in the Art of Bop Drumming at 70 bpm' is a much more valuable target mentally, as it allows for a specific regimen and time frame as well as being achievable in the short-term.

A disciplined study routine would consist of a defined time period and planned activities within that.

Back