Vintage Emperor

wolfmoon

Silver Member
I just saw this on Remo's site.

Vintage Emperor
A reissue of the first Remo Emperor® drumhead that changed the art of drumming in the late 1960’s. Constructed of 2-plies of 7.5-mil polyester films, they feature sensitivity and snare response of the Coated Emperor, accentuated mid and low frequencies and increased durability.

http://remo.com/portal/index.html

These are the heads that use WHITE film instead of the Clear film (and then coated). They went to using clear film a few years ago --I don't know why.

These do sound different than the "usual" coated clear film--especially if you don't remember the "old" ones.

These are the heads that use WHITE film instead of the Clear film (and then coated). They went to using clear film a few years ago --I don't know why.

These do sound different than the "usual" coated clear film--especially if you don't remember the "old" ones.

yeah, I remember when they went to the clear head on the coated emperors, and I didn't like the sound as much. It wasn't as crisp, and it sounded more like a tom head. And, I noticed that when the coating wore off, the head split alot sooner with the clear. With the smooth white head, those suckers lasted so long without tearing that I just had to take them off due to age.

The WHITE film is the key.

I use coated Ambassadors and they don't even dent under heavy playing, and they are made with the White film.

The Emps with the clear film sound brighter to my ears too.

I just heard some of the "new" heads and they had that nice tone I remember.

Smooth White emps have a little longer sustain than the coated version.
You can get the 7-7 mil white film emps too (I can't recall the added sufix to the model), but these "new" ones have the original 2 - 7.5 mil plies.

I use coated Ambassadors and they don't even dent under heavy playing, and they are made with the White film.

You can get the 7-7 mil white film emps too (I can't recall the added sufix to the model), but these "new" ones have the original 2 - 7.5 mil plies.

Coated ambs use clear.... I can through the wear spots on mine

They are a mil thicker over all than the modern Emps. Perhaps thats the difference?

Yeah, I agree about the white film. I don't know what it is, but the smooth white film seems more durable than the clear. I use smooth white emperors on my toms, and I've noticed much less pitting over time than with the clear ones. I've had the same set of smooth white emperors on one of my kits for over 2 years with no dents, and they still sound good. I'm really wanting to try these new emperors now, because I've got a set of 70's Ludwig 6 plies that only seem to like the coated emperors. The emperor X heads are also made with smooth white heads.

The Coated Vintage Emperors are excellent!
If you have a modern maple set with sharp bearing edges they will give you a much deeper and warmer tone than regular coated emperors.
And because they have a lower pitch, you can tune them a little tighter so that you get really good stick rebound without raising the pitch nearly as high as you would with a regular emperor. The best of both worlds.
And they are killer on snare drums. I just put one on my 6-1/2x14 Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute, and it just growls.

Mike

The Coated Vintage Emperors are excellent!
If you have a modern maple set with sharp bearing edges they will give you a much deeper and warmer tone than regular coated emperors.
And because they have a lower pitch, you can tune them a little tighter so that you get really good stick rebound without raising the pitch nearly as high as you would with a regular emperor. The best of both worlds.
Mike

I second this. I put these on yesterday. Deeper and warmer and my floor tom is killer!

Next head change, these babies are going on...most definately...

Back