What makes a good kick pedal?

Candyman

I've searched more than a few threads, but haven't really seen the question answered. I know there are a lot of threads on which pedal is best. But I'm curious to know what features you guys think makes a pedal good. Baseplate? Beater? Single chain? Dual chain? Direct drive? I'm looking to buy a respectable but affordable pedal but I'm not sure what features I should consider the most important.

I've searched more than a few threads, but haven't really seen the question answered. I know there are a lot of threads on which pedal is best. But I'm curious to know what features you guys think makes a pedal good. Baseplate? Beater? Single chain? Dual chain? Direct drive? I'm looking to buy a respectable but affordable pedal but I'm not sure what features I should consider the most important.

A good "quality" pedal is one that will not break or have mechanical issues (ie. parts loosening, wobbling, etc). The cheaper pedals fall apart after a certain period of use. You can observe this by testing pedals at your local music store. For example, a lesser pedal might show signs of horizontal footplate movement and "wiggling" which takes away from the sturdiness of the pedal.

However, once you've reached the quality pedals (Iron Cobra, DW 5000 and 9000, Pearl Eliminators, Axis, Trick) the real difference comes in terms of features and feel. There may be more adjustability in terms of how you can position the beater, footplate, change tension, stroke length, etc.

As far as the difference between belt, single chain, dual chain, and direct drive goes, this is mostly a preference in terms of feel. I would venture to say the vast majority of pedals are usually chain driven. That's not to say there aren't a lot of belt and direct drive pedals because there are. The direct drive pedals are used to take away any "slack" in the footboard when playing fast. They are good for speed and will more directly mimic your input.

If you are looking for a decent quality pedal I would recommend either the Iron Cobra, Pearl Eliminator, or DW5000. The DW9000 is of slightly better quality than the 5000 and many love theirs, but some say the price difference isn't directly justified.

The Axis, Trick, and forthcoming Pearl Demon Drive are the main direct drives on the market (other brands such as Gibraltar and Yamaha also make them). These are your more expensive pedals and are usually the choice of metal players but are good for all types of music. You will typically find yourself paying upwards of $500-600 minimum for these (double pedal). Hope this helps.

The drummer
twentyTWENtwen

Well, It has to be mechanically sound. It should allow for quick rebound and a smooth felling. But you the drummer ultimately make the pedal what it is. You could play with a 700 dollar pedal and still sound like.....yeah you know the rest.

For me the pedal is the thing I think about the least. DW5000. 100 bones USD. If that doesn't get the job done, there are more pressing issues.
To answer your questions, what makes a pedal good is complete adjustability over every mechanism, (footboard angle, beater throw length, spring tension etc.) ease of adjustability, quietness, smoothness, and reliability.

Back