Snare sounds SO bad!

joshisaces

Gold Member
Story time :)

This old pearl 14" snare drum at church had an old worn Power center reverse dot on the batter and an old stock reso. I took my pretty much brand new power center reverse dot and put it on it and it sounded sweet!

The next week I put my old Evans genera reso on the snare, replacing the stock reso, and it sounded so bad! It was a weird bad... I couldn't hear the snares on the drum even though they were definitely turned on and it sort of sounded like a tom. It was right before we had to do praise and worship and it sounded disgusting so the whole time I was trying to tweak the tuning as we were playing but it didn't help.

What do you think might be wrong with it? I didn't have a chance to check everything out. I'll check on Sunday, but as of right now I think that the drum was choked up or something. I don't know...

EDIT: Does anyone know of a good clear snare batter head? Or a head that works as a snare batter head? I have an acrylic snare and it was look awesome if I had a clear head! (I didn't want to create a new thread so I asked on here. Thankyouuuu)

Last edited:
Well, I'd say it's the genera resonant, since that is the only variable, assuming you didn't screw up something putting everything back together. I would either put the old head back on or buy a new head just like the stock head.

Well, I'd say it's the genera resonant, since that is the only variable, assuming you didn't screw up something putting everything back together. I would either put the old head back on or buy a new head just like the stock head.

You mean the reso head? Yeah, I'll do that.

One thing to add, though. I've heard that thicker resonant heads produce a deeper sound, but they don't have much response. The genera reso is pretty thick compaired to the stock reso it had on it.

It could be the head is not seated well, the snare hoop is not lined up well and or snare bed is snagging- take the bottom head off and fit it again- use wax on the bearing edge and make sure the throw moved well before you put it back together- thats the ideal time to wipe the tension bolts and use a light oil on the threads also. then seat the head and be careful to place the hoop correctly, lightly tension and press down on the head in the middle to seat- then tension again on only a half turn and repeat...tune as you would normally and check snare is adjusted well. THe snare should hang down when off evenly at both ends off the bed the gap between the snare and the head should be the same.

Good luck

It could be the head is not seated well, the snare hoop is not lined up well and or snare bed is snagging- take the bottom head off and fit it again- use wax on the bearing edge and make sure the throw moved well before you put it back together- thats the ideal time to wipe the tension bolts and use a light oil on the threads also. then seat the head and be careful to place the hoop correctly, lightly tension and press down on the head in the middle to seat- then tension again on only a half turn and repeat...tune as you would normally and check snare is adjusted well. THe snare should hang down when off evenly at both ends off the bed the gap between the snare and the head should be the same.

Good luck

Thanks for your post. Like I said before, I can't do it now, but I'll make a list of everything it could be, and try everything on Sunday. It made the whole 'performance' sound bad. The drum was not projecting. It sounded like a cardboard thud though the heads were tuned really high.

Was this resonant head a (snare side) head?

Yeah, I'm almost positive it was a 'genera snare side" but once again as I've said before, I'll check for sure on sunday. I checked on guitar center's website and I couldn't find this head anywhere :/

I always use thinner heads like hazy 300. Thicker heads may make it deeper, but they will most likely be lacking in sensitivity and affect the feel. That can be good or bad depending on who you are and/or what drum you're using. Obviously, the genera did not work for the Pearl snare drum, but it may work well for other drums out there.

Well, you won't be able to get a stock Pearl head probably, but you can find the Remo or Evans equivalent. When you go on Sunday check and see if it says ambassador or diplomat or anything like that.

Yeah, I'm almost positive it was a 'genera snare side" but once again as I've said before, I'll check for sure on sunday. I checked on guitar center's website and I couldn't find this head anywhere :/

It sounds like it may not be a snare side head. I have tried using an Ambassador and even a Diplomat just to see what would happen and I got that sound that you are describing to a "T". Nothing works on the bottom of a snare except a snare side head.

Josh,

If you want Evans, here are your choices.

Hazy 300 Drumhead

The Hazy 300 is Evans' most versatile snare side head. The 3mil film yields a wide dynamic range and controlled snare response at all dynamic levels.

Glass 500 Drumhead

The 5mil Glass 500 snare side produces a dark, throaty sound that is best suited for deep drums, or heavy rock performances.

Hazy 200 Drumhead

The 2mil Hazy 200 snare side will enhance sensitivity for softer dynamics and brushwork, while reducing sustain for greater articulation.

Right, but I believe they make ambassador and diplomat snare side specific heads also. I don't much about the different snare side heads because I've always just used Evans hazy 300s and been happy.

Right, but I believe they make ambassador and diplomat snare side specific heads also. I don't much about the different snare side heads because I've always just used Evans hazy 300s and been happy.

Yes, Remo makes snare heads as well. They make the Ambassador, Diplomat and Emperor in "snare side" weights.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a snare side head either, so I'm just going to put the stock reso back on for now.

thanks,
BUT, I still want to know if there are any heads that could work as a clear snare head. I've seen people with a clear snare head before, but I don't really know how it'll sound...

The Evans resonant head is designed for toms.

Like another poster said, the Evans snare side heads are the 200. 300, and 500. The 300 is probably the most popular.

Put the correct head on the snare side of the drum and it should be fine.

HTH

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not a snare side head either, so I'm just going to put the stock reso back on for now.

thanks,
BUT, I still want to know if there are any heads that could work as a clear snare head. I've seen people with a clear snare head before, but I don't really know how it'll sound...

What you are seeing is a clear "snare side" head. I'm not sure who makes the "clear" snare side heads. I never really thought about it because I always used the hazy looking ones. Now I think about it.. the only crystal clear ones I have seen are the stock ones that are on the snare when you buy them.

Just a quick point.

I've made this mistake a few times - I've replaced my snares the wrong way up so that they don't lie true with the head. Have you double checked your snare wires are the right way around? Even if you have I would advise to check again. It might save you spending more money if it is the case. I've had exactly the 'tom' sound you describe coming from my snare for exactly that reason in the past.

Just a quick point.

I've made this mistake a few times - I've replaced my snares the wrong way up so that they don't lie true with the head. Have you double checked your snare wires are the right way around? Even if you have I would advise to check again. It might save you spending more money if it is the case. I've had exactly the 'tom' sound you describe coming from my snare for exactly that reason in the past.

No I haven't, but I will check it on Sunday. I've made that mistake before also.

What you are seeing is a clear "snare side" head. I'm not sure who makes the "clear" snare side heads. I never really thought about it because I always used the hazy looking ones. Now I think about it.. the only crystal clear ones I have seen are the stock ones that are on the snare when you buy them.

Actually, I was talking about a batter side. A clear batter head for a snare drum. ;P

Back