Back into the motion of making videos...

I think you got the right idea. I would tighten up on the hi-hat with all the R&B stuff. Your approach is right on in terms of simplicity. I think a lot of people look past the amount of groove it takes to play drumkit to this kind of music. I hear some degree of variation on your feel. I can tell you wanna speed up, but you reign it in pretty good. This is good practice for timekeeping. I say keep it tight, and keep it up.

I think you got the right idea. I would tighten up on the hi-hat with all the R&B stuff. Your approach is right on in terms of simplicity. I think a lot of people look past the amount of groove it takes to play drumkit to this kind of music. I hear some degree of variation on your feel. I can tell you wanna speed up, but you reign it in pretty good. This is good practice for timekeeping. I say keep it tight, and keep it up.

Thanks for your input!
I was sick ALL last week and wasn't feeling my greatest when I recorded the video so next video will (hopefully) be better. I sort of felt like jello. As the style goes, it's not what I usually play, but it's fun to jam to, nevertheless. :)

Again, thanks for the helpful advice.

That was good. Not my style at all. Do you sit high? Or does it just look that way?

I LOVE jamming to R&B/hip-hop, even though i really dislike the genre. That was quite solid, though personally i love belting it all out when i jam to this stuff...i do some crazy stuff....

Though, that AA ride is an AMAZING Crash!! I like it maybe 1000 times better than the crash on the left. It was so full, so crashy, so perfect... the crash on the left sounded thin, metallic, and just plain weak imo.

I LOVE jamming to R&B/hip-hop, even though i really dislike the genre. That was quite solid, though personally i love belting it all out when i jam to this stuff...i do some crazy stuff....

Though, that AA ride is an AMAZING Crash!! I like it maybe 1000 times better than the crash on the left. It was so full, so crashy, so perfect... the crash on the left sounded thin, metallic, and just plain weak imo.

I feel the same about the R&B/hip-hop/rap thing. I love playing to it but actually hate listening to it. I usually go crazy when playing this kind of stuff too but for this one I felt it was appropriate to keep it clean and simple. I can go crazy, but it's not controlled per say.

'That crash on the left was an 18" AA Rock crash which sounds so meaty in person but high pitched which throws the meaty-ness off. :p

That ride on the ride was actually a 20" AA MT crash, and yes, it is amazing in crash qualities, though lacks sticking definition when trying to use it as a ride. It didn't sound that way in the video though did it?

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.

Very cool stuff Josh, I like it!
What hats are those? I like how you can play very aggressively and open without them sounding too metallic or annoying!

2 things I can think of to work on;
Time - that was an awesome cover, but if you really super-tightened up those screws, I think it would really boost the overall sound a lot. Think ?uestlove.
I'm not trying to be a nit picking douchebag, but there were one or two hesitations that kinda detracted from the performance.

And maybe an accent on the hi-hat on 1 and 3 would help your groove a bit.

Nice stuff though man! I want to see more!

Very cool stuff Josh, I like it!
What hats are those? I like how you can play very aggressively and open without them sounding too metallic or annoying!

2 things I can think of to work on;
Time - that was an awesome cover, but if you really super-tightened up those screws, I think it would really boost the overall sound a lot. Think ?uestlove.
I'm not trying to be a nit picking douchebag, but there were one or two hesitations that kinda detracted from the performance.

And maybe an accent on the hi-hat on 1 and 3 would help your groove a bit.

Nice stuff though man! I want to see more!

They are 13" Sabian AA Fusion hats :D
They do kind of sound clangy when they're closed but not all the time. I think it's because of the SUPER FRICKIN HEAVY hi hat bottom. hahahah

Thanks for the advice :D

Back