Each Era's Drum Solos

ok, i gotta ask. what does that mean?

have to have at least 20 characters in your post.

for the '80s I'd go with Peart
'90s was the whole seattle grunge thing not a whole lot there.
this decade don't know. Plenty of great drummers out there, peart, portnoy, gadd, steve smith, carter beauford, the list goes on.

ok, i gotta ask. what does that mean?

If your post is less than 20 characters, then you get an annoying message that says something like "messages must be at least 20 characters" so people whose reply is "right on" often put 20202020 to fill the requirement

I know, I know. I'll probably get flamed for this but...

Joey Jordisons live solos...

Probably the only '00-'09 drum solos (As of what I know).

Last edited:
Hmm... My favorite solo of the 70's wasn't mentioned. In fact, the drummer keeps getting the 80's nod.

Neil Peart working man/finding my way from "All the world's a stage".

Early 70's:
Carl Palmer/TANK ELP

I know, I know. I'll probably get flamed for this but...

Joey Jordisons live solos...

Probably the only '00-'09 drum solos (As of what I know).

well, i'm not going to try to flame you lol. i am a huge joey and slipknot fan, but in all honestly joey's solos are not that impressive to me. he just goes fast, and slowly gets faster. the guy has massive amounts of talent and his songs show that, but the solos are lacking imo.

It seems like the 70's was the last decade of the drum solos. There were rock songs written just for drum solos like Frankenstein. Also it seemed like every rock concert had the mandatory drum solo back then. They started to fade out in the 80's and now they are not as popular anymore.

Having said that I will say:
70's Moby Dick
80's YYZ live version
90's Not really know for great drum solos.

i don't miss drum solos.

unless its over the form of a tune playing with the band, or trading 4's with reference to the melody, i find it boring. i really enjoy hearing drums be apart of the music and the overall feel rather than witnessing what a drummer has practiced.

Back